Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:57 24 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Wanted - A simple way to generate sounds

Bizzie

Posted: 01:42am 18 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

We have just purchased a new air seeder. It operates very differently to our old one, using a toggle switch to raise or lower the machine.
There is NO audible sound when machine is lowered.

A 2 wire plug is provided to drive an automotive relay so getting a signal is easy.

So my question is how do I generate a suitable sound (using any sort of Mite)?
I am not even sure I know what an up and down sound sounds like!

Regards
Rob White

palcal

Guru

Posted: 04:30am 18 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Up and Down sound, no don't say it.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 05:38am 18 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Does it only need to sound when lowering, or does it also need a sound when raising or parked?

If only needs to sound when lowering, I would just use a piezo sounder with a pulse mode.  Jaycar sell a good one that is very loud, but their website it not loading for me just now.  They might be doing site maintenance.  When I can access the site again, I will link you to the sounder I am thinking of.

(line reserved for link when Jaycar site is back online...)

You could even use this same sounder and switch between continuous sound or pulsed sound for the two different modes if you wanted.  No mite needed at all, simple wiring, easy to mount.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Martin H.

Guru

Posted: 07:35am 18 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The easiest way to play sounds is to use the Play wav command.
You can find suitable, royalty-free sounds from many websites that specialize in sound effects, download. Just Google for "royalty-free Riser FX"
The other way is to use the Play sound or Play tone commands.
'no comment

NPHighview

Posted: 02:30pm 18 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You could record your own voice saying "Hey, YOU! Seeder is coming down. Pay attention!", or use mine (attached below) all rights waived in perpetuity :-).

I just recorded this at my kitchen table using Windows Voice Recorder (in Windows 10). It outputs a .m4a file, which I converted to .WAV using one of any of a number of online file format conversion tools.

Seeder-Down.zip
Live in the Future. It's Just Starting Now!

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 06:02pm 18 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

audacity is fun
vlc player can convert to flac

LucV

Posted: 06:13pm 18 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I did the same.
I recorded my voice on Windows 10 direct in Audacity.
Then converted it to Wav.

Made a lot of files with the words one, two, three etc. And then the words: "it's now", "the temperature is", "degrees" etc etc.
Files stored on an SD card.

And now I have a talking clock and a talking thermometer
Clock gets the time from an NTP server so has always the right time.
Thermometer gets the temperature from a DS18B20
Combining them into one is next.

Beware !!!
I posted these ideas here first so you can not use them as an entry to the programming competition  
Edited 2023-05-19 04:14 by LucV
Luc's tech Blog

Plasmamac

Guru

Posted: 10:28am 19 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Use windows sound  
Plasma

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 02:22pm 19 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

LucV said  
I posted these ideas here first so you can not use them as an entry to the programming competition  

Lets hope they change the rules. 5 kbyte limit will not support many xxx.wav files. Previous challenes 5k was the total size of all files.

Volhout
Edited 2023-05-20 00:23 by Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 03:17pm 19 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Plasmamac said  Use windows sound  

Audacity is old but easy to use. It's nice to have the waveform on screen and pick start and end then save and mess with it. Lots of effects and free.
NCH software has lots of free audio visual software and it's good stuff.

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 03:55pm 19 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Volhout said  
  LucV said  

Lets hope they change the rules. 5 kbyte limit will not support many xxx.wav files. Previous challenes 5k was the total size of all files.

Volhout

every program I write is a challenge but out of interest how would a serial mp3 player be considered as.. or not?

Bizzie

Posted: 10:08pm 22 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I must apologise for not responding sooner. Covid got in the way!

@Grogser : a pizeo was my first thoughts. I will need to employ a Mite as only want the buzzer to sound for a short period. Jaycar's Dual Sound Piezo Buzzer 1-13V  
requires too much current. Can I paraell up two or even three pins?
Rob White

JanVolk

Posted: 10:29pm 22 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Try MMB4W for which you should not need any additional hardware.

Jan.

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 12:39am 23 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bizzie, hope you are better. Perhaps if you give a better explanation of what you want.

Do you need a micro? Will a 555 timer do the job? If you want just a short 'blip' then maybe a simple RC network will do. Have the capacitor normally charged though a resistor and when the relay contact closes, discharge the capacitor through the piezo.

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

phil99

Guru

Posted: 12:41am 23 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  as only want the buzzer to sound for a short period.

A NE555 timer wired as a mono-stable might do what you want.
Output current - 200mA absolute Max., though up to 100mA it will last for ever.

Simpler still, just a large electrolytic capacitor in series with the buzzer may give enough of a squalk. A high value resistor across the cap. will be needed to discharge it before the next operation.

Edit
Typing too slow!
Edited 2023-05-23 10:45 by phil99

JanVolk

Posted: 10:20am 23 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry gentlemen I had not read the text properly, so forget my previous comment. I happened to be working on the sound with the MMB4W software.
Is this an agricultural implement with a control, probably a microcontroller or PLC that provides an external output control when lowering the lever?
The outputs are often a transistor output that can handle a small load such as a control relay.
The wish is that the output should be pulsating and drive a buzzer, which is possible with a monostable multifibrator and the buzzer mounted on an output, which has already been described above.
The question is what voltage is coming from the output of the controller and is it only present when lowering with the switch on the control panel and what happens to the output when the limit switch of the lever is activated?
If a control relay with the correct output voltage is used, you can continue embroidering with the voltage-free contacts and the choice for an external power supply is also free. You can build the circuit yourself on a hole print or purchase a separate module and do not forget to include a fuse.
What pitch and frequency of pulses should you listen to in reverse with a truck or is there a certain standard?

Nice day.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024