Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:23 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PM:VGA - How to erase your code without asking....

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:14am 23 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This is interesting.

PM VGA, FW version 5.07.04b7

3v3_EN pin tied LOW - external linear PSU via diode as per Pico manual in the power section.

1) Run your code WITH USB CABLE CONNECTED.
2) Remove the USB cable.
3) Connect the USB cable.
4) PM VGA reboots, but code is ERASED.

Not a problem, as we all use backups don't we , so reloading is no problem, but the fact this happens with NO warning is a concern - just by connecting the USB cable.

I have not at this point, even tried to connect to it using a terminal, just plugging in the USB cable, reboots and WIPES the code in memory.

Anyone else seen this?

Please remember - I am using an EXTERNAL linear regulator and 3v3_EN is grounded to disable the on-board regulator, and I also have the series diode as per the Pico manual.  Even so, I would not have thought that this could trigger a total erasure of the code in memory, no warnings, no nothing, it just reboots and the code is GONE.

Thoughts?
Comments?

Perhaps I need to upgrade my version of the FW on this module?
It's hard to keep track of all the new updates!  

5.07.04b7 - is that out of date now?  It very well may be....
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:37am 23 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If your external supply is diode-isolated and feeding VSYS then either VBUS or the external supply will be used *to power the switcher*, so grounding 3VEN will tun off the 3V3 supply and hence the Pico.

If you use an external 3V3 supply you can feed 3V3 from it directly (no diode) but only while 3V3EN is grounded to disable the output from the switcher. In this case it doesn't matter what you do with VBUS or VSYS as they are doing nothing. :)  If you try to feed 3V3 into the 3V3 pin via a diode then you will have the diode voltage drop and you won't get the full 3V3 at the pin.
Edited 2023-05-23 17:40 by Mixtel90
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

matherp
Guru

Posted: 08:09am 23 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  .07.04b7 - is that out of date now?  It very well may be....

This was a known bug discussed previously and was fixed many moons ago. You need to update your firmware

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 08:16am 23 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

YAY!

Thanks Mick and Peter.

I have been so busy of late, I simply have not had the time to study up on the constant improvements to the FW!  

I will update and move on.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 10:56am 23 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The released version (V5.07.07) is on Geoff's site.

John

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024