Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 01:14 21 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PM:VGA - Option TILE?

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:38pm 23 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Moving from an older firmware with 16x16 tiles and a 40x30 grid to the latest firmware, I have discovered that the tiles are now 8x12 on an 80x40 grid.

This completely ruins all my tile commands, and while I most certainly can(and might have to) go through the code and change all the tile commands, I am wondering if there is a simpler way.

Currently, changing all the tile commands on 1000+ lines of code where I use the tile command and the 16x16 font #4 liberally in the code, will take freakin' ages.

Can I suggest perhaps an OPTION where you can set the size of the tile, or perhaps just select between the original 16x16 and the new 8x12?
Something like OPTION TILE OLD and OPTION TILE NEW.  That means you can select from the old original 16x16 tiles, or whatever the latest firmware happens to support, but it then makes it backwards compatible with the 16x16 tiles that I am sure I am not the only one to use quite a bit. (or maybe I am!)

I note there is a new command - TILE HEIGHT, which is lovely, but without a corresponding TILE WIDTH command, I'm still stuck with the original issue.

I know Peter is perhaps loath to add more OPTION's, or perhaps there are no more option slots or something, but being able to set the tiles to the original or the new layout in an option would save a lot of pain for those who use tiles, and then the tile size changes in a FW update.

Thoughts and comments?
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

palcal

Guru

Posted: 01:03am 24 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Can you use FIND/REPLACE in MMEdit.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 05:20am 24 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Don't know if this helps.

matherp said  You can set the tile height using TILE HEIGHT. Set it to 16 and then two tiles wide is 16x16 like before

see

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 06:45am 24 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The release notes specify that this is a breaking change in this release - it won't change again. The CPU is not fast enough to support optional tile widths and as stated above

Quote  You can set the tile height using TILE HEIGHT. Set it to 16 and then two tiles wide is 16x16 like before

Edited 2023-05-24 16:45 by matherp

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 06:54am 24 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK, thanks chums.

I will play about with TILE HEIGHT 16 idea.

At the end of the day, if I have to go through the code and change it to suit, I will, but I was just making sure that there was no other way to make this easier.
Height=16 with 2x the width concept I think will save my sanity quite a bit.

Onwards and upwards!  

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 06:56am 24 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

palcal said  Can you use FIND/REPLACE in MMEdit.

Yes, you can, but although that will find all my TILE commands, all the co-ordinates have changed cos of the change from 16x16 to 8x12, so other then finding the TILE commands, it still means I have to change all the command co-ordinates, but.....C'est La Vie....

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:29am 24 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Is this why you write TILE handling SUBs?  ;)

I often use one to print@ font 1 text strings in colour. It keeps things nice and tidy.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024