Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:01 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Problem with VGA video output PicoVGA

Page 1 of 3    
nbrok

Posted: 05:44pm 24 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi.

I've a problem on my TFT monitor with the VGA output of the picovga.
When printing a full line of characters I see some characters unsharp. I tried to make a photo of it.

You see at the nearly end of the line that some characters are not as sharp als those in the begin of the line. What could cause this problem? I tried different power supplies. The problem keeps.
I hope you can see it on the picture but taking a photo of a screen is difficult.
Greetings,
Nick de pe1goo

JanVolk

Posted: 06:13pm 24 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Rule out causes.
Try VGA screen + cable on a laptop or PC?

Jan

nbrok

Posted: 06:56pm 24 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JanVolk said  Rule out causes.
Try VGA screen + cable on a laptop or PC?

Jan

Monitor works great with another vga terminal made with eps32 CPU, it is pico related.
Greetings,
Nick de pe1goo

Andy-g0poy

Posted: 07:10pm 24 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You say the monitor works great on another system, is that using the SAME cable?

Assuming that the main issue is an out of focus picture, It;s difficult to tell what the issue is at the right hand side of the line, I can see some something but it's hard to say exactly what.

You need to hang a scope on the RGB lines and see what is going on.

Also try the monochrome mode if that is not already in that mode  and see if that makes a difference.

I'll guess that something is getting on top of the video signal, and my first suspect would be the horiz sync.

Try filling the scree up with characters as well, you might see some other artefacts that will give you some clues.

Andy

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 07:35pm 24 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Did you try other chars? Is h the worst one?

I'm thinking if you can find a worse pattern it will show up easier with a scope or the like.

John

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 09:23pm 24 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What is the native screen size of your monitor?

If it is not a multiple of 640 x 480 the monitor has to convert and often ends up with some sections looking out of focus.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:03am 25 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Agreed.  I find the focus and sharpness is perfect on older 4:3 LCD monitors, which can still be had, as this is then the native format for the output of the VGAmite.

However, 16:9 screens are by far more generally easier to come across, and as Jim says, the monitor itself will stretch the image to FORCE it into 16:9, which often makes the characters look "Fat".

Have a look in your monitor settings - many monitors have a setting where you can turn image stretching off, and then the image will just be centered on the screen, and not stretched to the left and right.  What the monitor manufacturer calls that "Feature" varies from monitor to monitor, so I can't be more specific.

EDIT: Oh, and BTW, I myself also had this kind of fuzzing of characters on 16:9 monitors.  The way I fixed it forever, was to dig out and press back into service, one of my old 4:3 "Square" shape computer monitors.  The output is crystal clear and sharp as a knife on those older monitors.  But, you may not have access to one of those.  Computer repair shops probably have stacks of them out the back, so if you visit one, they can probably sell you one of those older square shaped panels for about twenty bucks or so.
Edited 2023-05-25 11:05 by Grogster
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

nbrok

Posted: 04:01am 25 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for all the replies.
Grogster did light a light in my thoughts.
I have found an option in my 4.3 monitor and it's called fase.
I adjusted this until the artifacts where gone. My new 16.9 monitors have problems with the resolution of the picovga. The picture looks good at first glance but the artifacts are worse then on 4.3 and of course the circle looks like a flat egg. (ratio problems). Fortunately I got an old professional 4.3 monitor from a friend and with the fase adjustment I got all right.
Perhaps it's better to think of using HDMI and/or a better suitable resolution... I know the RAM in pico isn't that plenty available. But 64K is for most BASIC programs enough. In the eighties we where very happy having 32K Basic.    

Peter, did you look how the guys from Pico BBC basic did the VGA job? They use more bits to generate the VGA RGB signals.

I'll do some measurements with my scope also, this will be continued.
Edited 2023-05-25 14:05 by nbrok
Greetings,
Nick de pe1goo

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 06:09am 25 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

HDMI has been talked about many times, but the main problem is LICENSE issues.
Any product that uses HDMI, has to pay a license fee to the HDMI federation outfit, whereas legacy VGA is totally free to use.  It is also impossible for the 2040 chip to produce HDMI output so I understand, but even if it COULD, the license fee issue remains, so it is simply not economic to use HDMI - at this stage.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

matherp
Guru

Posted: 06:34am 25 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Any decent wide-screen monitor has a mode to display a 4by3 signal centered. The timing of the VGA output of the PicoMite is perfect (not my work) so any distortion is a function of monitor and/or wiring. I use a wide-screen monitor and the image is pin-sharp as others have commented.

nbrok

Posted: 07:45am 25 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  HDMI has been talked about many times, but the main problem is LICENSE issues.
Any product that uses HDMI, has to pay a license fee to the HDMI federation outfit, whereas legacy VGA is totally free to use.  It is also impossible for the 2040 chip to produce HDMI output so I understand, but even if it COULD, the license fee issue remains, so it is simply not economic to use HDMI - at this stage.

This make sense... license and the 2040 cannot generate HDMI at all.
VGA becomes very rare to get, especially here in the Netherlands. But I've found a monitor which works fine after adjusting some things as clock and phase.
Thanks.
Edited 2023-05-25 17:46 by nbrok
Greetings,
Nick de pe1goo

nbrok

Posted: 07:58am 25 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  Any decent wide-screen monitor has a mode to display a 4by3 signal centered. The timing of the VGA output of the PicoMite is perfect (not my work) so any distortion is a function of monitor and/or wiring. I use a wide-screen monitor and the image is pin-sharp as others have commented.

Then I've no decent wide screen monitor..... It doesn't center the VGA signal to 4 by 3. I discovered on my widescreen monitor some functions specially for analog VGA input. I'll look at it. But I've got it working on a 4 by 3 monitor as told in my reply to grogster. I looked at the signal on my scope, it looks very good to me except some noise, probably the same as heard in the PWM audio.
Thanks Peter.. VGA is analog not digital....
Greetings,
Nick de pe1goo

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 09:01am 25 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

nbrok said  
  Grogster said  HDMI has been talked about many times, but the main problem is LICENSE issues.

This make sense... license and the 2040 cannot generate HDMI at all.
VGA becomes very rare to get, especially here in the Netherlands. But I've found a monitor which works fine after adjusting some things as clock and phase.
Thanks.

the RP2040 can happily generate DVI, which can be sent out through any standard HDMI socket. as far as i am aware, all HDMI monitors are backwards-compatible with DVI signalling over HDMI cabling. there is no license required for this, and no fees need to be paid. the only limitation is that you can not put the HDMI logo on the product as the logo is copyrighted - indeed, it would be best to stick to describing such an output as DVI in any labeling or documentation.

however, once producing DVI (over HDMI) the RP2040 would have insufficient computrons left over to run mmbasic in any meaningful way. you would need to use a second RP2040 to run the interpreter. so there are good reasons why digital video is not supported, but is hardware resource (computron) limitations, not any legal issues.

cheers,
rob   :-)
Edited 2023-05-25 19:01 by robert.rozee

al18

Posted: 02:54pm 25 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Robert is correct.
The Pico can drive an HDMI monitor using a very simple board such as the Adafruit PiCowbell DVI
https://blog.adafruit.com/2023/05/11/new-product-adafruit-picowbell-dvi-output-for-pico-works-with-hdmi-display/
Edited 2023-05-26 00:58 by al18

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 04:00pm 25 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

why hdmi for a vga 320x240, 640x480? I want a small vga screen and waiting for vga to composite video adaptor which won't work now ordered.

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 04:05pm 25 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

... but don't get excited. From the above site:
  Quote  Note that the DVI video generation uses one full core, both PIOs and 150K (320×240) or 190K (400×240) of SRAM. It’s kinda maxed out so be aware of the remaining resource limitations.

Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

nbrok

Posted: 04:15am 28 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Guys,

My problem is solved but I think a little mod to the connections in VGA of the Pico has to be considered. In other schematics and also from Raspberry foundation itself I see in the Vsync and Hsync lines a resistor of 47 Ohm. In my opinion this suits to the 50 Ohm impedance of the signals of a VGA monitor. Also in other schematics with 3.3V cpu's generating VGA these resistors are used also.
Here the schematic of my latest picovga board.
picovgaversion1.4.pdf
Greetings,
Nick de pe1goo

morgs67

Posted: 05:54am 28 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Found this about the extra resistors:

why-do-vga-vsync-and-hsync-need-47-ohm-resistors-in-this-schematic

-Tony

nbrok

Posted: 06:22am 28 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

morgs67 said  Found this about the extra resistors:

why-do-vga-vsync-and-hsync-need-47-ohm-resistors-in-this-schematic

-Tony

That's exactly what I meant. It is for matching the line impedance and reducing capacity influence.... Thanks for the confirmation.
Greetings,
Nick de pe1goo

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:38am 28 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oddly enough, the mosfet resistance in a GP pin of the RP2040 is about 50R. I suppose that makes quite a nice line termination resistor for the sync signals. :)
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Page 1 of 3    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024