Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:00 24 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Problem with VGA video output PicoVGA

Page 3 of 3    
Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 06:30pm 30 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I love that SSD1963 emulation! I'd forgotten that.
The Pi Zero would be ideal, but only seems to be available as the 15 UKP Zero W now. :(
Edited 2023-05-31 04:32 by Mixtel90
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 07:26pm 30 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Cheaper by far if it works would be this

(choose the VGA -> HDMI one)

John

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:42pm 30 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That looks interesting...
Mick

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 04:08pm 31 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Nick,

I checked the VGA timing (focus on the vertical timing since you see blurring on the rigt side of the screen). There is some improvement possible, but that does not relate to the problem you see. See attached

vga.zip

Did you achieve any improvement with the 47 ohm resitors in HSYNC and VSYNC on that failing monitor ?

Regards,

Volhout
Edited 2023-06-01 02:13 by Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

nbrok

Posted: 04:20pm 31 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Volhout said  Hi Nick,

I checked the VGA timing (focus on the vertical timing since you see blurring on the rigt side of the screen). There is some improvement possible, but that does not relate to the problem you see. See attached

vga.zip

Did you achieve any improvement with the 47 ohm resitors in HSYNC and VSYNC on that failing monitor ?

Regards,

Volhout

I'm waiting of the delivery of the newest version of my VGA PCB's so I could not test it yet. I could on an old 4.3 TFT monitor adjust the phase and the problem is gone but on modern monitors you cannot change the phase....
Greetings,
Nick de pe1goo

nbrok

Posted: 08:33pm 06 Jun 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@volhout

I've received the PCB the 47 Ohm resistor does change something and the phase is better adjustable now... I've picovga working on 2 different monitors now. I have to change the phase value in each monitor. The picture is acceptable now. Without the resistor it  also works, but adjustment is a little more difficult.
Greetings,
Nick de pe1goo

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 09:26pm 06 Jun 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks, I will modify my units too, and observe the effect.

Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

nbrok

Posted: 03:39am 07 Jun 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoff,
Could you add a line in the picovga documentation  about adjusting the Phase of your monitor in VGA mode when in mode 1 a line isn't displayed as sharp as expected?
You have to do the adjustment until all characters on a line are even sharp.
Also in the example connection of the VGA connector, the two 47 Ohm resistors in the vsync and hsync lines could be added. The effect I discovered could be to do something with VGA cable length and quality. But this info will help those people who have the same problem as I had.  
Greetings,
Nick de pe1goo

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:00am 07 Jun 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

To be honest, I don't think I've ever had any sort of Phase control on any of my VGA monitors to date. I'd never even heard of it until this thread. I am now educated. :)

I'm going to include the series terminating resistors on the synch signals on PicoGAME Alpha as they work nicely into the layout. :) I've ordered a couple of VGA-RJ45 adapters from ebay (4.40 UKP for two, including postage)) to test the viability of CAT5 for VGA. I'm not anticipating any problems at the resolutions we use - it may even be an improvement over the cheaper VGA cables.
Mick

Page 3 of 3    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024