Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:52 30 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Aquarium (or general purpose) controller

Page 3 of 3    
phil99

Guru

Posted: 08:47am 18 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

In most such links you can omit everything after the "?". The rest is specific to that persons history on the site.

paceman
Guru

Posted: 03:37am 19 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Looks like you've all hit the nail on the head and yep, the new page has taken the display length back to normal.

Mixtel90 said  On another forum that I've used long links are trimmed at the maximum line length, but only for the display. The full link is still there if you bring your post up for editing. It works very nicely.

Maybe if Gizmo is reading this he could do the same with TBS's code?
Volhout and Phil's point about not needing anything after a "?" in the URL might be a fix too but it would mean fiddling with members' posts - maybe not so bad.

Greg
Edited 2024-04-19 13:38 by paceman

phil99

Guru

Posted: 05:06am 19 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Or if could be a matter of educating members to only copy-n-paste up to the "?".
The rest doesn't do anything useful.
In fact it often results in the displayed page language and currency settings being those of the poster, not the reader.

paceman
Guru

Posted: 06:58am 19 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

phil99 said  Or if could be a matter of educating members to only copy-n-paste up to the "?".

Yes but I remember that point being mentioned several times in the past.
The description of the correct way to do a link in the forum software has been there for years and mentioned often enough. If people don't read how to use forum links or if they're new members and haven't yet read them, then they'll always end up with the same problem.
I think copying and pasting long links directly will always be a problem because people are so used to doing it, and it's quicker.

Greg

Page 3 of 3    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024