Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:44 28 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MMB4L A question for Tom

PeteCotton

Guru

Posted: 10:23pm 11 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  I'm on reduced rations at the moment, and what time I do get I'm putting into enhancing MMB4L with enough graphics/sound/controller support such that I can use it as a development proxy for the Game*Mite.

Tom, will this enhancement to MMB4L include CMM2 graphics and sound (i.e. will we be able to run any CMM2 game in Linux?)

My reason for asking is that the Evercade system appears to be Linux based. A full implementation of MMB4L would allow us to send CMM2 games in to Evercade for potential publishing on one of their homebrew bundles - thus increasing exposure of the CMM2 to the masses.

https://evercade.co.uk/

LeoNicolas

Guru

Posted: 11:23pm 11 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've been running MMB4W on Wine without problems. I don't know how hard is to make MMB4W to be compiled to Linux. Maybe this is a better approach.

Is it possible to me to have access to the MMB4W source code?
Edited 2024-03-12 09:24 by LeoNicolas

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 11:41pm 11 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PeteCotton said  the Evercade system appears to be Linux based. A full implementation of MMB4L would allow us to send CMM2 games in to Evercade for potential publishing on one of their homebrew bundles

Are Evercade important & big then?

(I wouldn't know, but haven't heard of them at all.)

John

PeteCotton

Guru

Posted: 11:49pm 11 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnS said  
  PeteCotton said  the Evercade system appears to be Linux based. A full implementation of MMB4L would allow us to send CMM2 games in to Evercade for potential publishing on one of their homebrew bundles

Are Evercade important & big then?

(I wouldn't know, but haven't heard of them at all.)

John

I don't know how to quantify "important" but they are quite popular.

PeteCotton

Guru

Posted: 11:51pm 11 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

LeoNicolas said  I've been running MMB4W on Wine without problems. I don't know how hard is to make MMB4W to be compiled to Linux. Maybe this is a better approach.

Very interesting. Thanks. I'm not sure how much of a performance hit the WINE layer would add. It would certainly be interesting to compare to a native Linux version of MMB.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 11:56pm 11 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Pete,

Yes, in theory what I am doing is a stepping stone towards that. In practice only a fool would make plans based on me getting there, I'm in no hurry and there will no doubt be many diversions on the way.

Blitzing a port of MMB4W might indeed be a faster route to your suggested destination but it's not a project of interest to me.

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

PeteCotton

Guru

Posted: 12:25am 12 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  Yes, in theory what I am doing is a stepping stone towards that. In practice only a fool would make plans based on me getting there, I'm in no hurry and there will no doubt be many diversions on the way.

Thanks Tom. Sounds like it will tie in perfectly with my timeline (given that I'm also no good at allocating time to my CMM2 projects).

LeoNicolas

Guru

Posted: 12:27am 12 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PeteCotton said  
  LeoNicolas said  I've been running MMB4W on Wine without problems. I don't know how hard is to make MMB4W to be compiled to Linux. Maybe this is a better approach.

Very interesting. Thanks. I'm not sure how much of a performance hit the WINE layer would add. It would certainly be interesting to compare to a native Linux version of MMB.

I never compared MMB4W on Wine with it running on Windows, but I can assure the performance is pretty decent on Wine. I've been running Knightmare on Wine, and as you can see in my gameplay videos, it runs smoothly.

PeteCotton

Guru

Posted: 04:38am 12 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

LeoNicolas said  I never compared MMB4W on Wine with it running on Windows, but I can assure the performance is pretty decent on Wine. I've been running Knightmare on Wine, and as you can see in my gameplay videos, it runs smoothly.

Excellent. What processor are you running your linux/wine box on?

I might buy an Evercade, root it and install WINE and see how it compares to a stock CMM2. I think the Evercade is only running a Cortex A7 1.2GHz. Which is probably fine for processing, but I'm wondering how it compares for graphics manipulation like scaling and rotating (my new program uses a lot of both).

thwill

Guru

Posted: 09:34am 12 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi folks,

It's my understanding that Wine isn't emulation, it's simply an implementation of the Windows API (+ DirectX + friends) for Linux in which case I wouldn't expect it to be significantly slower than running MMB4W on native Windows.

For full disclosure, the last time I compared them MMB4L is significantly slower than MMB4W + Wine. I'm not exactly sure why this is, but I know MMB4W does use multi-threading for, amongst other things, monitoring console input, alternatively Peter is just better at this than me . Fortunately for the moment other than perhaps a drop of wounded pride the disparity is of no consequence to me.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2024-03-12 23:07 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

LeoNicolas

Guru

Posted: 12:40pm 12 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You are right Tom

Wine means Wine Is Not an Emulator  

I'm running it on a 2021 middle range laptop. An AMD Ryzen 7 3700U
Edited 2024-03-12 22:40 by LeoNicolas

PeteCotton

Guru

Posted: 03:14pm 12 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  It's my understanding that Wine isn't emulation, it's simply an implementation of the Windows API (+ DirectX + friends) for Linux in which case I wouldn't expect it to be significantly slower than running MMB4W on native Windows.

Ah - I didn't realise that it wasn't an emulator. That sounds hopeful then! Thanks!

PeteCotton

Guru

Posted: 03:16pm 12 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

LeoNicolas said  I'm running it on a 2021 middle range laptop. An AMD Ryzen 7 3700U

Thanks! If I ever do get around to testing it on a SOC I'll let you guys know how it performs.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024