Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:34 28 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : sd reader no sd card

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 05:14pm 13 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Really sorry to ask but I converted a sd card adapter to a breadboard reader and read sd card but then said "sd card removed" so bought 2 sd card readers , for arduino but logic is 3.3V, 2 for £4.80 but drive "b:" then files says no sd card.
Wiring ok. tried swapping miso/miso.. says moso on reader.
dunno if I contact seller as they may be fine.
using vga usb 005b.
PicoMiteVGA MMBasic USB Edition  5.09.00b5
OPTION SERIAL CONSOLE COM2,GP8,GP9
OPTION AUTORUN  ON
OPTION COLOURCODE ON
OPTION KEYBOARD US
OPTION CPUSPEED (KHz) 252000
OPTION SDCARD GP13, GP10, GP11, GP12

matherp
Guru

Posted: 05:41pm 13 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm afraid those "arduino" sdcard boards never work. You want a board with no components or just a capacitor across the power lines.
Edited 2024-03-14 03:44 by matherp

okwatts

Posted: 06:35pm 13 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Not wanting to dismiss Peter's observation I did get this to work when I was attempting to get Mixtel90's little SD daughterboard working with the 2040Zero. I do remember some issue with these due to the different chips used to voltage translate on the module but I don't have the reference at hand. I would try a freshly formatted fat32 card (in a PC) and see if you get a different result. If you get the message that the SD Card is removed when extracting the card from the reader then at least the card is being recognized by the Pico/MMBasic. Some cards tend to be fussier than others. I found Lexar 633x cards (Which I have a number of) to be most difficult.

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 06:36pm 13 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

B*****ks! thanks for the heads up, wasted nuff time.
ebay recommendations for one that works from experience please. stan

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 06:51pm 13 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I tried 2 sd cards. one 2 wav files the other a bmp. they read with the soldered sd card adaptor for a minute then said sd card removed. on the forum "they are iffy".
all the ili displays I own have sd card readers that work.
actually thinking I never use sd cards so why bother and use the pins for summat else.
I tried adding a 10uf to the sd card adapter supply but still got sd card removed. even a squirt of wd40 to clean same:)

Edited 2024-03-14 05:13 by stanleyella

okwatts

Posted: 06:52pm 13 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Just for reference I found the discussion saved as a pdf from a different forum that discusses the issue I noted with these adaptors.

6502spiadaptorissues.pdf

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 08:22pm 13 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

okwatts said  Hi Just for reference I found the discussion saved as a pdf from a different forum that discusses the issue I noted with these adaptors.

6502spiadaptorissues.pdf

interesting about mosi hi and cs after short time etc. totally baffled now. wire up a duff lcd just the sd card and use..no

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 08:33pm 13 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

search ebay for "sd card breakout"
I ended up with a page of suitable boards with NO extra chips, just as Peter suggested.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 09:27pm 13 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This sort works fine. It has pullups and supply capacitors. I've used it several times.

Otherwise, use one that has *no* chips on it, and preferably no resistors unless you know how they are wired.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

okwatts

Posted: 11:26pm 13 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just another followup I looked through my supplies and found an adapter with the other (T125A) chip and tried it with the same results. It appears that I have a card (Sandisk Ultra) that seems to be able to be read by either of the adapters. My lexars are read fine in the the PicoVGA v 1.0 from matherp and the daughter card by Mixtel90 but not in these adapters on the Pico. The takeaway for me is that these adapters are not reliable for all cards. I have not tried these modules in all other situations But I believe I used these with a Teensy a few years ago.

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:14am 14 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The problem with the modules (designed for 5V Arduinos) that have chips on them is that they are designed for 5V systems. All SD cards are 3V3, so there is a LDO regulator on board. Unfortunately these have a minimum input voltage of around 3V5 at best (usually higher) and often nothing comes out of them (or it's a low voltage) when powered from 3V3. Additionally there are often level shifters, which shift the 3V3 signals from the SD card up to 5V. This makes a mess of the idea of powering the module from 5V and connecting the signals directly to a Pico.

If you are *really* lucky you might find a module that will let 3V3 through the regulator (albeit unregulated) and with level shifters that work properly. In those cases the module might work, but results could be marginal if you swap SD cards.

It's far easier to get the right SD card module in the first place. :)
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 02:21pm 14 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  This sort works fine. It has pullups and supply capacitors. I've used it several times.

Otherwise, use one that has *no* chips on it, and preferably no resistors unless you know how they are wired.

I'll try that one if still available. Thanks.

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 07:12pm 28 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

stanleyella said  
  Mixtel90 said  This sort works fine. It has pullups and supply capacitors. I've used it several times.

I'll try that one if still available. Thanks.

arrived today and works vga usb . thanks Mik

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 08:34pm 28 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

it's small. messed up the board with arduino sd reader, tracks cut and wiring then unsolder it all but this was ok but wiring not neat, worked first time though and so cheap I got 2.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024