Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:51 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : WEB SCAN

Digger

Posted: 06:33am 15 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all,
Running
WEB SCAN
repeatedly, even with pauses up to a minute between runs, seems to fail every second time: only the headline is put out. Why is this and how can I avoid it?
Any help appreciated. Thanks.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 06:56am 15 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What router do you have?
This sounds like a Fritzbox issue.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Digger

Posted: 04:17pm 15 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,
At this point, when I am running WEB SCAN, I am not connected to any access point or router. I want to use WEB SCAN to map/track the location of the WebMite depending on the WiFi access points nearby. For this I would like to use MAC and RSSID of everything that listed as the result of WEB SCAN.
Best regards

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 08:20pm 15 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

When I am connected to an access point, WEB SCAN works every time.

When I am not connected to an access point, my WEBmite behaves the same as you observed.
WEB SCAN runs every second time with the other runs returning directly to the command prompt.

One of my access points is a Fritzbox and there is a known problem with connecting to them. Every second attempt fails.

Before I go to the effort of setting up a test site out of range of the Fritzbox, it would help me if I knew if any of your access points are a Fritzbox.

I think that all Fritzbox mac addresses start with 38:10:d5

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Digger

Posted: 10:04pm 15 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you, Jim, for getting back. Indeed, my main access point is a FRITZ!box router. However, I have never connected my WebMite to it. Do you think, that the mere presence of the FRITZ!box is interfering? Like querying the FRITZ!Box for SSID etc. aborts the WEB SCAN? Possible, but why every second time only?
Tomorrow I am going to test my WebMite in an environment without a FRITZ!Box and I will report here.
Digger

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 12:19am 16 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Please do the test without any Fritzbox within range. I am interested in your results.

When I tested clear of the Fritz, the WEB SCAN still had problems but not the definite one works, the next one fails.
This time I could get two or three fails then a run of success.

In either case, if the WEBmite is connected to any access point, all WEB SCANs work without fail.

One of life's little mysteries...

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Digger

Posted: 08:49am 16 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It‘s getting more mysterious!  
Just tested WEB SCAN in a different environment, no FRITZ!Box around. Same result, every other attempt failed. Positive scans showed 5 or more access points within reach.
Then I went back to my home environment and tested again. This time, however, WEB SCAN succeeded (!) every time if the number of discovered access points was one or two only, even if one of them was the FRITZ!Box (by the way, the MAC of my FRITZ!Box starts with 44:4e:6d…).

It is my impression that the WEB SCAN routine starts by printing „Performing WiFi scan“, then enters a subroutine with a timeout trying to discover local access points. If this subroutine has not finished timely, we get a failure.
Alternatively, I think there could be a buffer overflow problem caused by a missing reset of the buffer when the subroutine stars.

Anyway, I think this is a bug that deserves reporting…

Digger

Posted: 10:32am 16 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

… I would like to add… I started this project a few months ago using MicroPython. I remember that I ran into similar problems when scanning for access points. Had to loop until there was a result. Likewise, connecting to a network/access point is also unreliable in MicroPython.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 08:03pm 16 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think it should be noted in the manual that a number of scans may be required to find access points, especially when not connected.

The FRitzbox does have issues when connecting but can not be blamed for the empty scans results.

With similar problems using microPython, it looks like the problem is deep inside the pico API and no easy fix.

At least we know and can allow for it.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024