Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:37 26 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PicLog - Need your help!!

cindy

Posted: 07:39am 11 Apr 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi There,

We bought 4 PicLog but somethow, none of them could read the RPM from the anemometer, we followed each step of the instructions in the link but it still doesn't work, here are some pictures, please kindly have a look and let me know what the problem is....

Your help and early response will be highly appreciated!!!

(PicAxe Logger Controller - http://www.thebackshed.com/windmill/PicLog.asp)

Pic. 1

Pic. 2

Pic. 3

Pic. 4

Pic. 5

Surf with the wind!

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 07:43am 11 Apr 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Cindy

What do you mean by We bought 4 PicLog? The PicLogs are not for sale, its an open source project. Where did you buy them from?

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 08:30am 11 Apr 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Cindy that circuit board is not the same as the one in the article. I would suggest you contact the person you bought it from for help.

Also note, the Piclog is open source, and can not be sold/resold without permission.
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

vasi

Guru

Posted: 08:31am 11 Apr 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi cindy,

You checked to see if that magnet is able to turn on your reed switch? Your reed switch is in the right position? Your wires are ok?

You wrote the program inside the PICAXE, or it was delivered with the software in place? You tested the Piclog with the last software available on Glenn site?

Your Piclog is able to read input voltage values?

Vasi
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

cindy

Posted: 12:41am 12 Apr 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi, Vasi, thanks for your reply, here are the answers to your questions;

yes, the magnet is able to turn on the reed switch, the reed switch is in the right position. What do you mean if the wires are okay??? (we are not sure if we connect the wire correctly, can you tell from the above pictures)

It was delivered with the software in place. we tested the Piclog with the last software available on Glenn site.

My Piclog is able to read input voltage values.

So, do you have any input?
Surf with the wind!

cindy

Posted: 12:43am 12 Apr 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi, Glenn, I understand that it is a open source, it is just for our own use, we will never put it for sale. Thank you!
Surf with the wind!

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:29pm 12 Apr 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Cindy

The fact that its reading voltage OK means the PicLog and software are working. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with that circuit board, so dont know if its set up for a reed switch type of wind speed anemometer.

Maybe the time between magnets is too slow. The Piclog will count the pulses in one second, which works OK for small diameter anemometers with more than a couple of magnets. Have you tried spinning the anemometer really fast to see if there is a reading. Also, its not reading RPM, its the kmh reading that should be changing. The RPM reading it taken from the alternators AC output.

If you have a multimeter, set it to read volts, put the negative lead on the circuit boards 0v rail ( center pin or tab of the LM7805 regualtor ), and the positive lead on pin 5 of the PicAxe IC ( 8 pin chip ), see below

As you rotate the magnet past the reed switch, you should see the voltage on pin 5 change from 0 to 5 and back

Hope that helps.
JAQ

cindy

Posted: 04:59am 14 Apr 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey, there...

With the help of Glenn and other friends in BackShed, we are finally able to have the logger worked, I will upload some of our test data here later.

Thank you very much for all the help and surpport, we are really GREATEFULE!!!

P.S. The logger we have is not the same as the PicAxe Logger Controller in our forum, i would like to point this out, in case it would mislead.

Surf with the wind!

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024