Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 13:21 26 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : An Alternative Maximite

pito

Posted: 02:14pm 08 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi, I'm going to set up the alternative maximite (no video and ps2). Let me ask you which firmware shall I burn in - my understanding is I need a firmware without the video and ps2 stuff. Thanks. P.

donmck

Guru

Posted: 05:50am 14 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

pito said   Hi, I'm going to set up the alternative Maximite (no video and ps2). Let me ask you which firmware shall I burn in - my understanding is I need a firmware without the video and ps2 stuff. Thanks. P.

Hi Pito,

I see that your question has been sitting here for a little while without an answer, and as I have a few questions on this subject, I'll have a go at answering it, and if my assumptions are incorrect, then Geoff G., or other knowledgeable users will jump in and correct me.

Sort of like putting a BIG RED TARGET on your chest.
Bear in mind I have never seen a Maximite in action.

There will be a Mini-Maximite sooner or later, so we will call it the mini-M for now.

This will be a fundamental system with only the power, clock, 26 pin I/O connector, USB, (ICSP connector, resistor and switch?), and possibly the SD card, but read on:

You should be able to use the same firmware in the mini-M as the full unit.

From Geoff's pages:
The Maximite can be set to automatically run a program on power up (without keyboard and video connected)

If you run a suitable terminal program on your PC, then these I/O devices will be emulated from the terminal program.

Again, quoting Geoff:
The filename AUTORUN.BAS has special meaning. MMBasic will search the SD card for this file on power up and if it is found it will be automatically loaded and run.

The mini-Max firmware will be rewritten so that your Autorun program can be saved right along with the copy of the firmware, so that it executes without having an SD card at all.

There will only be one version of firmware for the Max and the Mini.

Hope this helps, and let the target shoot begin.

Cheers Don...

Edited by donmck 2011-06-15
https://www.32v8.com/1

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 07:40am 14 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry Pito, I did not spot your post and should have replied. And thanks Don for filling in the gap.

You can use the standard Maximite firmware (currently at V2.4) without video or a keyboard (or without USB for that matter). If the firmware cannot find them it just ignores them. So, nothing special required there.

As Don mentioned, I have plans for a mini Maximite that will have just USB and an optional micro SD card connector. The I/O pins, the video, keyboard, etc will be brought out onto pin headers so that you can still connect that stuff if you want to. It should be about the size of the business card and will be intended for use as an inexpensive "plug-in" brain for all sorts embedded projects (burglar alarm, battery monitor, solar panel controller, etc, etc).

To support this I plan to extend the Maximite firmware so that the BASIC program can be saved in the PIC32's internal flash and this will automatically execute on start up (ie, no SD card required). With the addition of PWM, serial, I2C and other protocols (to be developed) this would make a very powerful and low cost brain that could be used for many projects.

An important aspect is that the mini-Maximite and the full Maximite will run exactly the same firmware so you can develop on the larger Maximite and just copy your BASIC program to the mini version (via USB) when you are done.

The ETA is the end of the year. By the way, this design is currently just on paper... so anything might change as I work through the issues and the software required.

Geoff

Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

Ray B

Posted: 09:44am 14 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoff re the release of a Mini Maximite - great idea but I hope "the ETA is the end of the year" won't be at the expense of development of serial comms and also I2C code which will make your excellent design even better.

Got mine built yesterday & have now just discovered this forum.

RayB from Perth WA

donmck

Guru

Posted: 12:46pm 14 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ray B said   Geoff re the release of a Mini Maximite - great idea but I hope "the ETA is the end of the year" won't be at the expense of development of serial comms and also I2C code which will make your excellent design even better.

I figure as long as the Mini-Max has at least provision for a microSD card, then nothing changes. It should work as advertised without any firmware upgrades.

And it would be a nice feature to have a microSD card on board for data logging. You can then read it on your PC at any time.

Cheers Don...Edited by donmck 2011-06-15

jebz

Posted: 01:49pm 14 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoffg said  
To support this I plan to extend the Maximite firmware so that the BASIC program can be saved in the PIC32's internal flash and this will automatically execute on start up (ie, no SD card required). With the addition of PWM, serial, I2C and other protocols (to be developed) this would make a very powerful and low cost brain that could be used for many projects.

Hello Geoff. Can you also consider adding "Peek" and "Poke" to the basic commands. This would allow serial comms and other peripherals to be used even if they didn't have current support.

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 10:24pm 14 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

jebz said  
Hello Geoff. Can you also consider adding "Peek" and "Poke" to the basic commands. This would allow serial comms and other peripherals to be used even if they didn't have current support.

I have resisted adding PEEK/POKE but I can see that I will have to give in. It is a very popular request.

The reason I have held back is that there are a number of issues with messing around with the memory space. For a start, the only way to find out where to PEEK/POKE in the working memory (RAM) is by digging through the memory map produced by the compiler and that is no easy task. Microchip could not have made it more obtuse if they had tried. Even worse, the memory map will change with each version of the firmware.

Secondly, the PIC32 is very sensitive to an illegal memory access. It throws (in MIPS terminology) an exception and the only way to handle that is to completely reset the CPU, thereby loosing the program in memory. So, if you made a mistake in typing in an address, you would instantly loose your program - not very friendly.

But, it is a powerful tool for someone who wants to access features of the chip and is prepared to decipher the PIC32 manual so I will try to fit it in the next release (along with suitable caveats in the user manual).

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

sparkey

Posted: 10:39pm 14 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

this question goes out to any body ...

what r.i.s.c. does the pic use if any at all
sparkey
technicians do it with least resistance

Nick

Guru

Posted: 08:45am 15 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

How about a mini maximite inside a keyboard?!

It's the TRS-80 model 1 all over again! :)Edited by Nick 2011-06-16

donmck

Guru

Posted: 09:14am 15 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nick said   How about a mini maximite inside a keyboard?!

It's the TRS-80 model 1 all over again! :)

Even a TRS-80 Model I keyboard
SD card slot out the front edge of course.

Commodore people recently did that with a PC inside a 64 clone case.
http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx

Cheers Don...

Dave Everett

Posted: 09:24am 24 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoffg said  
Geoff

Fantastic! I have hopes of using it with a current robot project, serial and SPI would be vital.

I assume the MMC is using the SPI protocol. Being able to set pins as CS would mean you could extend the capabilities immensely, for example an SPI servo driver or dual PWM motor driver would then be possible.

Dave Everett

pito

Posted: 01:19pm 30 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the answers. I was running the Maximite on a small pcb, no video, no ps2. As I ran the basic, my feeling was the basic is a little bit "slow" - maybe because of video running in the background. I compared it with StickOs basic.
BTW, the chip can run 80MHz cpu AND 80MHz peripheral bus as the default (this is not an overclocking of the PeriphBus!), my chip runs 120MHz cpu and 120MHz peripheral bus stable. Of course, 2 wait states only. You will achieve an 1.51x speed increase then. Maybe running Periphbus @80MHz (instead of yours 40MHz) may enable better video resolution/functionality then. Also the peripherals may run faster as well. The video stuff may need an adjustment, of course. P.Edited by pito 2011-07-01

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024