Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:00 24 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : maximite editor?

Page 1 of 2    
thetinkerer

Posted: 08:20am 17 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I use the Maximite plugged into the USB port of my PC for the convenience of a power source,keyboard and so that I can paste my code from notepad(editor!) into Hyperterminal. I also have an LCD screen plugged in so that I can see the screen output.

The advantage of doing this is that you can search "the net" and grab Ideas and paste and edit quickly. My view is that once you have your maximite setup, running and specific program debugged, then you can have it as a stand alone. much quicker!

I am just wondering how people are using there maximite? and what other options are there for getting your code onto the maximite? just a question to ponder!

sparkey

Posted: 08:40am 17 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

sparkey sorry i am a little confused could you elaberate more on this ..i think you want to edit and rewrite the mm basic am i correct here .... regards sparkey..r u using mplab to up date the firm whare....
technicians do it with least resistance

thetinkerer

Posted: 08:54am 17 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Sparkey,
I am just using "notepad" in windows to write my code then I paste the code into hyperterminal which is connected to the Maximite. If you have line number in your code, it then the code is put into the Maximite's memory. Once the code is in memory,t you can save it to the SD card using the "save" command etc.

The Maximite firmware is loaded via the Maximite bootloader called "bootloader.exe" which comes in the firmware download. To carry out the firmware update, follow the instructions provided with the firmware update.

regards

donmck

Guru

Posted: 09:45am 17 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thetinkerer said   I use the Maximite plugged into the USB port of my PC for the convenience of a power source,keyboard and so that I can paste my code from notepad(editor!) into Hyperterminal. I also have an LCD screen plugged in so that I can see the screen output.

Sounds like a great idea.

Is this the Hyperterminal you mean?
https://store.hilgraeve.com/order/index_html

I just tried it with Ultraedit to Putty, but no copy and paste feature.

Cheers Don...
https://www.32v8.com/1

thetinkerer

Posted: 10:34am 17 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The hyperterminal I use is standard in windows 95,98,NT, 2000, XP etc

In windows XP, Go [Start][Programs][Accessories][communications][hyperterminal]
If it's not there, it can be installed from the windows install disk.

When Hyperterminal starts it will ask for a name, I just hit the "esc" or click on "cancel" key.
Go "file" then "properties" and choose the com port that the maximite is using in the section titled "connect using" then click on the "configure" button and select 9600 bits per second etc for the Maximite communications. then click "ok" & "ok" and then click on the telephone icon(call) to connect to the Maximite. It will ask you for a file name, you can enter what ever you like. I entered "Maximite". to disconnect, click on the little telephone icon to the right of the one you previously clisk on to connect.

Once you have saved the file you can then load it next time you start Hyperterminal by going "file" "open" and chossing the "maximite file(or what ever name you called it).

regards

Marc

donmck

Guru

Posted: 11:24am 17 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

None in Windows 7 Marc, but I got it sorted:

You can create hyperterminal in win 7

open any XP system and copy the 4 following files

1)-C:\Program Files\Windows NT\HYPERTRM.EXE
2)-C:\Windows\Help\HYPERTRM.CHM
3)-C:\Windows\Help\HYPERTRM.HLP
4)-C:\Windows\System32\hypertrm.dll

then open win7 system create a folder name of "HyperTerminal" under program files then copy the 4 files

create shotcut -"C:\Program Files\HyperTerminal\HYPERTRM.EXE"

open short cut Hyperminial.

A little fiddling to kick it off, but once you set up the correct parameters, you then just paste to host.

Kool

Cheers Don...

jebz

Posted: 11:39am 17 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

donmck said  

I just tried it with Ultraedit to Putty, but no copy and paste feature.

Cheers Don...

Putty is a tricky one. If you have text in the paste buffer just right click on the terminal and it will paste it at the cursor. Likewise to copy from Putty highlight the text then right click and it will be input to the paste buffer.

thetinkerer

Posted: 11:39am 17 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

great stuff! Don

glad you got it going!

regards

Marc

Ray B

Posted: 11:49am 17 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For me Tera Term is the best option I've seen - available from:
http://logmett.com/index.php?/download/tera-term-469.html

Part of the download includes a program TTLEditor which is a neat text editor that partners with TeraTerm

From there I can Copy / Paste down to the MaxiMite through the USB port.

Found TeraTerm as a recommendation on Geoff's web page or somewhere linked from there and a lot smarter that HyperTerm that does not seem to part of the current Win 7 install set - although you can scrounge is off XP or somewhere.

Now what we all want is a software emulator for the MaxiMite ala Picaxe but we don't wont to put too much pressure on Geoff until he gets Peek/Poke & Serial comms & I2C running after he returns from tripping around. ;-}

Regards - Ray Bright
RayB from Perth WA

thetinkerer

Posted: 12:29pm 17 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Ray,
Sounds great.
I also thought of the Maximite emulator too but didn't want to be asking too much!
regards
Marc

stuarts

Posted: 01:40pm 17 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Jebz, you beat me to it, I love putty. use it daily in my work. the cut and paste is really convenient, you just have to get your head around not typing ^c and ^v. they flow out of my fingers naturally these days.

Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once.

donmck

Guru

Posted: 07:35pm 17 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks all,

It is obvious now that I know how to copy and paste with Putty, that windows Hyperterm is a waste of installing into windows 7.

To save me grabbing and installing Ray's recommended Tera Term, Ray, is the package worth downloading you think?

Like many others, I already have a text editor that I am very familiar with, as I have used it for years.

Is there advantages that we may not be aware of with Tera Term?

Cheers Don...

thetinkerer

Posted: 09:21pm 17 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just out of interest, here's a microsoft page about the missing hyperterminal:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-vista/What-happen ed-to-HyperTerminal

donmck

Guru

Posted: 10:00pm 17 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thetinkerer said   Just out of interest, here's a microsoft page about the missing hyperterminal:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-vista/What-happen ed-to-HyperTerminal

I got a page not found on that one.

This works:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-happened-to -HyperTerminal

Cheers Don...

stuarts

Posted: 11:56pm 17 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The only problem I see there, not that its a problem for the Maximite, is that telnet is not longer bundled with windows.
It seems that Micro$oft has decided that we no longer need it.
Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once.

thetinkerer

Posted: 12:04am 18 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks don, It's strange that the URL had a space after "happen". it was copied and pasted!?

donmck

Guru

Posted: 01:39am 18 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thetinkerer said   Thanks don, It's strange that the URL had a space after "happen". it was copied and pasted!?

OH, this forum does some funny things, like insert spaces in URLs. I think that is what did it.

Glenn will know the rules, but another strange thing is that if you want to do any html, such as bold, smileys etc, it pastes them at the bottom of the message, and you have to manually move and insert them where you need them.

Cheers Don...

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 02:11am 18 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah thats right, the forum does insert spaces into long "words", like URL's. Its a security thingy. It inserts randon spaces all over the place, but you dont normally notice it. The idea is it breaks any hacking/spamming scripts/URL's. You can bypass it for URL's ( links ) with the little button.

As for adding smilies and other tags at the bottom, yeah, its a bug. Been meaning to look at it.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

grant

Posted: 06:40am 19 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

sparkey said   sparkey sorry i am a little confused could you elaberate more on this ..i think you want to edit and rewrite the mm basic am i correct here .... regards sparkey..r u using mplab to up date the firm whare....

I had trouble with my laptop refusing to recognise the Silicon Chip USB Port Driver.
To overcome the problem I purchased a card SD reader ($6 from Crazy Prices).
I now build programs in Notepad, copy them to the SD card and then tranfer the card to the maximite.
Grant

VK6MRG

Guru

Posted: 01:08pm 19 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Guys,
I'm a bit slow on some things! I've just tried to access the Maximite via HyperTerminal. And wow! That makes life alot easier! BTW, worked first time i tried! Thanks for the port settings etc..
I'm off to do some easy programming.
Regards,
Matt
Its easier to ask forgiveness than to seek permission!

............VK6MRG.............VK3MGR............

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024