Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:41 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Silicon_Chip_USB_Serial_Port_Driver

donmck

Guru

Posted: 10:32am 19 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a friend, that is possibly a lot more knowledgeable than me when it comes to Windows O/S. He is not a member of this group yet.

His eyes are hanging out of his head, and he didn't want to post to the board at the moment, would have to register etc., so I have taken the liberty to post for him, and I'll pass any information onto him.

Silicon_Chip_USB_Serial_Port_Driver

we have done a binary compare of his files to mine, and all is OK.

Windows doesnt `really' install a driver....
it just says the best driver is already installed....
(none is installed it just says that the best one is installed)

He has tried all of these:
First was WIN 7 32 BIT...
Then win 7 64 bit
Then Win 7 64 bit
Now XP 32 bit still wont install

Even to the extent XP says that the best driver is already installed..

His Maximite runs OK in TRS-80 mode, meaning ps2 keyboard and VGA screen.
It runs basic programs.

He simply can't install the serial driver.

My question is, could it be the firmware?
Or does anyone have any other potential clues, or been in a similar position?

Cheers Don...

https://www.32v8.com/1

stuarts

Posted: 11:18am 19 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Don, the thing I dont understand is that it ran ok when it was plugged into your PC on friday.
Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once.

donmck

Guru

Posted: 04:21pm 19 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

stuarts said   Don, the thing I dont understand is that it ran ok when it was plugged into your PC on friday.

As Mick said, the driver was installed with my board, not his.

If his board isn't capable of installing a driver, and it runs in TRS-80 Mode, as I have now called it, then what is stopping his board from installing a driver, when the USB comms work OK?

My thinking takes me to firmware, as the hardware is fine, USB port fine is fine, as it also works in Terminal Mode.

Ask me why I am up at 02:00?
Glad you asked.
Pressure problems? No!
NASCAR sprint cup Man.

Cheers Don...

donmck

Guru

Posted: 04:38pm 19 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TRS-80 Mode.
Perhaps we need a Ready Prompt.

Cheers Don...

donmck

Guru

Posted: 05:00pm 19 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quoting from the firmware upgrade manual

[code]
The Upgrade Process

To upgrade the firmware in the Maximite you should hold down the boot
load button on the Maximite while you apply power.

The power LED will rapidly flash to indicate that the boot loader
is in control.

Plug the USB cable from the Maximite into your Windows computer which
will automatically recognise the Maximite and load the appropriate driver.

The Maximite (in boot load mode) will show up in Device Manager as a
"Human Interface Device", 'USB Input Device'.

Run BootLoader.exe. It will automatically detect the Maximite and show
the message 'Device attached'.

Click on the 'Load Hex'
[/code]

Bootloader?
Could it be the bootloader and not the firmware?

If the boot loader mode doesn't recognize the Maximite, then we have a corrupt bootloader?

Maybe?

Cheers Don...

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 09:56pm 19 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ok I am now a member.

I tried that on 2 PCs both Win 7 Home Premium , 1 32 bit and the other 64bit.

In both cases the LED flashes as expected (good so far) and when I connect the USB cable it is still detected as `Unknown Device'.. It does not get regognised as a "Human Interface Device", 'USB Input Device'..

I am getting nowhere with this...

Mick

Edited by bigmik 2011-06-21
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

Keith @

Posted: 03:25am 20 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Guys

I'm on Win7 ... I've already done my first connection to USB and the hardware was recognised etc by Windows. I had to install a driver in this case I manually had to point it at the Silicon Chip USB driver. I had to make a note to use the same USB port ... com7 in my case

Once the Maximite is plugged in again it shows up under devices in control panel as a Communications port - Silicon Chip and the com port is in the properties, port settings, advanced ... button.

To upload the new firmware ... plug in the USB .... check that Windows sees the hardware (under devices comms) ... turn off the power on the Maximite ... hold down the load button (and don't let go ..... turn the power back on the Maximite .... click on the bootloader application file that came in the firmware ZIP file ... this will open up the Silicon Chip bootloader window ... click on Load Hex File button ... once this completes, then click on the Program Device button ... follow the instructions and turn off the power to the Maximite and now you can take your finger off the load button on the PCB.

Keith
The more we know, the more we know we don't know !

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 06:36am 20 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Keith @ said   Hi Guys

I'm on Win7 ... I've already done my first connection to USB and the hardware was recognised etc by Windows. I had to install a driver in this case I manually had to point it at the Silicon Chip USB driver. I had to make a note to use the same USB port ... com7 in my case

Keith

Hi Keith,

Here's the rub... When I plug it in to the USB it doesnt detect properly...
It comes up as `unknown device' in device manager... ok thats fine.. Highlight that and select update driver (and point to silicon chip driver) and it tells me 'windows has determined the best driver is already installed for this device'... has it???

Ok lets do a properties on it... aha... it has a date for the driver as 21/06/06.. when I select driver details for this device it says 'no drivers are required or have been loaded for this device'...

I am able to forcibly load the silicon chip driver as a `legacy' device and `have disk' option but when it installs (USB serial port) appears in the device manager. but has the yellow exclamation mark and indeed doesnt talk to the USB...

The MM works fine as a `TRS80' mode PC stand alone with VGA and K/B..

Regards,

Mick

Edited by bigmik 2011-06-21

jebz

Posted: 07:42am 20 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said  
In both cases the LED flashes as expected (good so far) and when I connect the USB cable it is still detected as `Unknown Device'.. It does not get regognised as a "Human Interface Device", 'USB Input Device'..

I think you're starting the Maximite in firmware update mode. Try starting the Maximite in normal mode without the flashing LED by not pressing the switch. When the Maximite has completely started connect the USB cable and install the driver. After you've had a couple of runs with the terminal program move to the firmware update task.

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 08:24am 20 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

jebz said  
  bigmik said  

I think you're starting the Maximite in firmware update mode. Try starting the Maximite in normal mode without the flashing LED by not pressing the switch. When the Maximite has completely started connect the USB cable and install the driver. After you've had a couple of runs with the terminal program move to the firmware update task.

NOPE!... The above was at anothers suggestion to try that (and update firmware) but whilst the LED flashed it did not offer `Human interface device' option as was expected in that mode...

99% of my attempts has been with LED solid... (ie not pressing the switch on powerup)

i will be leaving to see Don and do a comparison with his in the next few minutes... I will updae you all on what transpires..

Or Don will tell you all what a clunk I have been and what I am doing wrong.

regards,

Mick

donmck

Guru

Posted: 12:33pm 20 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Stuart S., Mick G., and Don got their heads together tonight. It was like the meetings we were accustomed to having 30 odd years ago. Stuart said it was the first time he had seen Mick since about 1994.

We found that the board Stuart and Don tested as working on Friday, stopped working by the time Mick got it home.

Armed with notebooks, a PICkit III programmer, beer, and about 7 Maximites, we found that the USB port had died for some reason. We couldn't find any open circuits (or shorts for that matter) from the USB connector to the PIC32 pins.

So Mick now has another board, and a big smile on his face.

Cheers Don...Edited by donmck 2011-06-21

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024