Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 03:36 18 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Silicon Chip USB Datalogger Kit

Page 3 of 3    
paradigm

Posted: 10:40am 24 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for this Mick, I have some of the Wurth SD sockets 'on the way' and in the meantime the Eagle PCB design is progressing!

Incidentally, I read from the TPS61097-33 Regulator datasheet that "an inductor value of 4.7 μH shows good performance over the whole input and output voltage range". However, the design uses 47uH. Initially I wondered if this was a misprint, but the Jaycar LF-1100 specified is indeed 47uH. This is likely to lower the oscillation frequency of the regulator but may usefully increase the efficiency.

Regards, Alan

paradigm

Posted: 11:35am 08 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Is anyone successfully using the "clearFile" instruction in scripts?
It is featured in some of the example scripts and is defined as follows:

"CLEARFILE/clearFile: this command is used to define a new log file for the script. The argument is a comma separated list of arguments (as in the print command) that will form the file name for the new log file for the script. If a file of that name already exists, it will be deleted. The syntax is: clearFile <arg 1>, <arg 2>, … <arg N>; where each argument is as for the print command".

In my setup the instruction compiles without a problem and uploads to the unit but does not run as expected. The instruction line:
clearFile "MyFile.txt"; at the start of the SCRIPT section should produce a log file with name: MyFile.txt but a file with the default name of the form: log0X.txt is in fact created.

A similar type of instruction: openFile "MyFile.txt"; works as expected, but unfortunately this always appends new data to the end of the file with name MyFile.txt. I need to start a new file with each new logging run and it looks as if the clearFile instruction might do this(?).

I am in fact including the date/time in the filename to ensure that successive files
always have different file names, as follows:

openFile "Log",PF(#timeIfSet),".txt";

This works very well for appending new data to the same file, but as explained, I want to use the clearFile instruction.

Alternatively, does anyone know how to start a new file with each new logging run without switching the unit off/on between runs?

Thanks for any assistance and regards to all.

panky

Guru

Posted: 11:40pm 08 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I agree with Circuit Gizmo's, why not use a CGM Stick or a Minimaximite?

1. Simple, STABLE, programming environment via kbd/mon, windows or linux;

2. Large range of versatile I/O;

3. Low cost.

I have had a maximite running as my Caravan Battery Monitor system for over a month continuous operation logging battery voltage, input and output current every 2 seconds ( stored, and actual write happens once per hour to limit SD card writes) without a hiccup - as I said previuosly, SOLID AS A ROCK. 30 odd .csv files ( daily log ) to on-process as I need.

As a data logger, can't see why you would go any other path?

My very warmest regards to Geof for a fantastic little system.

Doug.

... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

Ray B

Posted: 06:36pm 09 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ah... the Silicon Chip Data Logger... it was always my dream to justify the cost of one but then what I wanted to log at that time was solved using MaxiMite.

Since that time I've taken the plunge into Arduino and it can do it all and more.
Arduino has an excellent forum and so many libraries available. A basic Arduino Uno only costs $15 on ebay (before the Aussie $ crash) and I've even purchased some on the mini arduino for $6 and they do the same as the big brothers except less I/O.
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Products

With a simple Arduino plus a stacked ethernet shield you can do all of your logging through to the net to a PC or even your smart phone.
The ethernet shield with an inbuilt SD card can host a web page, connect into a spare port on your home router so your arduino inputs appear on a web page. Currently playing around sending tweets or send an email when an input changes state.
All of this is described in tutorials and uses the available libraries.

Enjoy
RayB from Perth WA

paradigm

Posted: 02:50am 12 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions.

Perhaps I should explain. The SC USB Data Logger by Mauro Grassi is of particular interest because its spec. is almost exactly what I require, i.e.:

Low current battery operation - 2 x AAA cells being ideal. (only around 1.5mA, or less, idle current).
RTC with date/time stamping capability of logged values.
Small size - the hardware can be 're-engineered' using surface mount parts, Micro SD Card, Mini USB socket and alternative connectors, etc.
Cost is always important, but in my application secondary (the only 'expensive' part is the PCB!).

Unfortunately, as far as I can see, the Maximite draws 125-150mA and only the Colour version has a RTC for date/time. They are based on the PIC32 (MIPs architecture) which I have used in projects, and written code for, and rather like! From the recommendations I am sure that the Maximites operate extremely well but, unless I
have misunderstood, are not suitable for my application mainly due to the high current consumption.

The Arduino based solutions are also unsuitable for long term battery operation. I have just measured the consumption of two I have sitting here:
With nothing else connected, the UNO draws 48mA and the MEGA draws 75mA.
In addition, RTC and SD Card shields would need to be added and the physical size becomes too large for my application.

I find the design of the SC USB Data Logger by Mauro Grassi to be so attractive that I really would like to solve the (simple?) problem of starting a new log file with each new logging run. I feel this must somehow be possible using the scripting language. I would be grateful if anyone has any ideas or alternatively a completely different solution?

Regards to all.

Browny

Posted: 06:42pm 07 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

I'm a bit late on the uptake, but I've recently finished putting the USB data logger together after having it sit in my shed for a few years. I'm hoping to use if for a weather station in the garden to monitor soil and air temps, plus anything else that might be useful.

I've been reading the posts where people seem to be having a few issues with power supplies. I'll have to see how mine goes. I've just had it plugged in via the USB at the moment doing the Hello World script with a time and date stamp.

I'm keen on using the DS18B20 for my temp sensors. I was going to try and use the parasite power mode as Mauro suggests in his documentation, but it looks like I would need an external MOSFET for a strong pullup during temperature conversion. My electronics is a bit rusty, so I was hoping to keep the project to scripting only where possible.

Garthwimbush, it looks as though you were using the DS18B20 temp sensor and used the external power supply option. Is it possible for you to post your code that you used to read the 9 different temperature readings you mentioned in a previous post?..

Page 3 of 3    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024