Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:23 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Maxiteers, How Many?

Page 2 of 2    
stuarts

Posted: 11:26pm 09 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

VK6MRG, I ordered mine April 30, when did you order yours?

Stuart
Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once.

donmck

Guru

Posted: 11:30pm 09 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

stuarts said   VK6MRG, I ordered mine April 30, when did you order yours?

Stuart

Hey, that was my birthday.

http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/pop_up_profile.asp?PF=5893& FID=16

was it a pressy for me Stuart?

Cheers Don...
https://www.32v8.com/1

stuarts

Posted: 11:38pm 09 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Don, and you look so good for 101.

I know the government wants to up the retirement age, but thats ridiculous.

Stuart

VK6MRG

Guru

Posted: 11:43pm 09 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The first Maximite I ordered was on the 4th of March, I contacted Altronics on the 13th of May to ask how much longer and it arrived on the following week. While on the phone asking about my first order I ordered another as they said there was a few left in stock. After the order went through I received an email confirming the order, but it stated the Maximite would be on backorder as they had sold out.
Its easier to ask forgiveness than to seek permission!

............VK6MRG.............VK3MGR............

stuarts

Posted: 11:49pm 09 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I know they said they had new production runs for July and August, hopefully its not too far away.
I think that gets them to 4 runs, not sure how many were in each though.

I've got one running 2.4a and one running Ken Segler's 2.4 with I2C extensions. It lets me work with one that has the edit command which I love and one that I can test Ken's code with. I really miss that edit command in 2.4a.

Cant do much about it until Geoff comes back on the air and can make a newer source code available to us.

StuartEdited by stuarts 2011-07-11

donmck

Guru

Posted: 11:52pm 09 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

stuarts said   Don, and you look so good for 101.

I know the government wants to up the retirement age, but thats ridiculous.

Stuart

Ernie Sigley always added many years to his age, and when he told people how old he was, they commented on how good he looked for his age.

As no one has filled out the demographic age poll for more than the 69 year old group, I figure I must be the oldest, or very close to it.

http://www.themaximitecomputer.com/maximite-age-demographics -poll/

Don't tell anyone Stuart, but I am actually 68. (1943)

Do I get to vote in that poll next year too?

Cheers Don...

stuarts

Posted: 11:54pm 09 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Don, you said you only get to vote once.

donmck

Guru

Posted: 12:00am 10 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

stuarts said   Don, you said you only get to vote once.

I think it is hooked into your IP addy, so if I plugged in my other service USB modem, would that be all right for next year?

But then there would be 2 of me

Cheers Don...

Nick

Guru

Posted: 12:14am 10 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

stuarts said   It lets me work with one that has the edit command which I love and one that I can test Ken's code with. I really miss that edit command in 2.4a.Stuart

Yep. I was calling for the edit command to Geoff since before this forum started up. It was good for Geoff to add it in. Makes a WORLD of difference when typing in long programs.

Next is COLOUR!

I'm almost there... :)

VK6MRG

Guru

Posted: 04:24am 10 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nick, I'm thinking nice fluffy positive waves and sending them in your direction! A colour Maximite, I can't wait. All the best and good luck!
Its easier to ask forgiveness than to seek permission!

............VK6MRG.............VK3MGR............

Ray B

Posted: 05:37am 10 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Guys and especially Stuart & Nick, what is this love affair with the EDIT instruction in MMBasic is it because you only just program from a keyboard plugged into the MM with a VGA monitor or something, I suspect so because you all seem so want to emulate a TRS-80 especially with the pixel addressing ability that a VGA screen allows for your applications.

What I've been using since discovering it on this forum is Crimson Editor available from the homepage at http://www.emeraldeditor.com as an editor and also under it's Projects facility use it for a store for code snippits.

I then also use TeraTerm from http://ttssh2.sourceforge.jp/ through a USB connection to the MM and then just copy/paste from Crimson Editor through TeraTerm to download lines of code without using an external keyboard and VGA screen.

This method allows colour editing and quick downloading still with the ability to directly load/save to the MM memory card.

My method will be especially useful for programming Don's new short form MM board which has no keyboard / screen connectors.

To each his own....

RayB from Perth WA

stuarts

Posted: 06:09am 10 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ray, I just find it easier to edit my code on the platform that I am using, you can make much faster edits and changes to a program. Ive also had errors cutting and pasting code from a notepad to the maximite. The Maximite needs some time to digest the lines as they are entered.
Normally I am connecting to the Maximite across the intranet as the Maximite is sitting powered from my linux server. The USB connection to the Maximite seems much more reliable than from a windows box.

Editing and saving to a sdcard to swap into the Maximite seems clumsy.

StuartEdited by stuarts 2011-07-11

Nick

Guru

Posted: 06:21am 10 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ray B said   Guys and especially Stuart & Nick, what is this love affair with the EDIT instruction in MMBasic is it because you only just program from a keyboard plugged into the MM with a VGA monitor or something,

One of the advantages of interpreted BASIC is the instant jumping from EDIT to RUN.

10 PRINT"HELLO"
RUN

During the creation and debugging of code, this happens a lot and the extra clicks/keypresses to get your code from PC to Maximite defeats this feature.

Also, graphics don't show on the editor/terminal of the PC. Only on the maximite.

Why buy the maximite if you don't intend to use it as a computer with it's own screen and keyboard? The cut down Maximite is more your cup of cake. The Maximite is overkill.

The maximite is not just a board for interfacing circuits. Maybe that's why it says "Computer" on the front label? :)

curious1

Posted: 06:39am 10 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello everybody

I hear a lot of nostalgia in this forum about the past from TRS80, Vic-to Commodore but I cant find more practical discussion about Maximit and interfacing to the real world. Building the Maximite was the easy part but the interfacing is a bit more difficult and then the programming. Where in this forum is the best place to look around for this kind of info?
BTW when I orderd my 3 Maximites about 6 weeks ago Altronics had a backlog of orders and the guy which rang me telling me how long I have to wait mentioned a figure of 600 sold already. This is only Altronics. There are many more sources I believe.

donmck

Guru

Posted: 06:57am 10 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

curious1 said   Hello everybody

I hear a lot of nostalgia in this forum about the past from TRS80, Vic-to Commodore but I cant find more practical discussion about Maximit and interfacing to the real world. Building the Maximite was the easy part but the interfacing is a bit more difficult and then the programming. Where in this forum is the best place to look around for this kind of info?
BTW when I orderd my 3 Maximites about 6 weeks ago Altronics had a backlog of orders and the guy which rang me telling me how long I have to wait mentioned a figure of 600 sold already. This is only Altronics. There are many more sources I believe.

I'm peddling as fast as I can.

I see the first hurdle a simple bridge between what we have and what we want.

I was going to go much the same direction as Rohan:
http://www.hamfield.com.au/

But after speaking with Cap'n Bill and Chuck (our covert operations Maxiteer Engineers in the U.S.) at length, I decided to go Arduino Shield.

When we have that bridge, I believe we could have hundreds, maybe thousands of potential hardware applications at our fingertips.

http://www.themaximitecomputer.com/the-donduino-cross/

is the bridge I will be using, and I hope we have something in about 2 weeks.

Cheers Don...

jebz

Posted: 08:43am 10 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

donmck said  
is the bridge

I think the most universal bridge will be I2C. Stuart has tested a variation of the code that interfaced with a I2C PCF8574 and was going to test it with another I2C peripheral he had already bit banged. Someone else mentioned a bridge for serial comms via a PIC16F88. Analogue inputs are well supported on the Maximite but a jumper selectable gain input buffer would be good.

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024