Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:47 18 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PIC32 conversions to MMbasic

Keith @

Posted: 10:37am 15 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All

Came across this PIC32 based development board which had me thinking that maybe another direction would be to encompass converting these types of boards to run MMBasic. That will allow MMBasic to become an even greater tool for the masses.

The board is at www.coolcomponents.co.uk

90 quid is about AU$142

regards

Keith
The more we know, the more we know we don't know !

Ray B

Posted: 11:02am 15 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

on ebay do a search on "PIC32 development board" and you will find so much including for A$30 a PIC32 with Basic inbuilt, serial etc

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PIC32-Microcontroller-Development -Board-BASIC-M-/110471591501?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components _Supplies_ET&hash=item19b89eb64d

Some of these alternatives are getting "off topic" for a MM Forum but are interesting as to what is available.
RayB from Perth WA

Keith @

Posted: 12:35pm 15 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ray

I agree some of the hardware out there may be getting off topic specific to the Maximite at this stage of its development.

However, what I am trying to suggest is that when you look closely at the details of the development board above I see a 100pin PIC32 as being inevitable for the Maximite.

All the other items on the board are nice to have as well. Lots of things to play with and lots of experience to be gained. The kids will absolutely love the endless items which they will learn about in one very neat package.

Select the biggest most complex PIC32 board with all the bells and whistles and if that is the Maximite version 2 Deluxe then it will need a Deluxe version of MMBasic to support all the those bells and whistles.

We can then select those items of hardware and software that pertain to our individual projects and put those together in embedded systems or whatever. They then become a subset of the Maximite and MMBasic.

Keith

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:03pm 15 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ray B said  Some of these alternatives are getting "off topic" for a MM Forum but are interesting as to what is available.

Its fine to discuss other microcontrollers here, Maximites, PicAxe's, Audrino's, whatever. A lot of the developments for one micro can be used on another.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

aargee

Posted: 09:37pm 15 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, I was wondering about that, considering the title of the forum!

For crying out loud, all I wanted to do was flash this blasted LED.

rhamer

Posted: 01:36am 16 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Keith said   ......Select the biggest most complex PIC32 board with all the bells and whistles and if that is the Maximite version 2 Deluxe then it will need a Deluxe version of MMBasic to support all the those bells and whistles.........

Unfortunately that wont happen.

Geoff has stated that there will be no special version of the firmware for specific hardware.

So all (official) versions have to be compatible with the current hardware and any new hardware.

Regards

RohanEdited by rhamer 2011-08-17
Rohan Hamer
HAMFIELD Software & Hardware Solutions

Makers of the Maximite Expander.

http://www.hamfield.com.au

Keith @

Posted: 04:45am 18 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Rohan

I have thought about your comments above.

To use an oft used phrase ... The cat is already out of the bag (and breeding)!

My suggestion is, to truly succeed beyond a one person show, the GG MaxiMite needs to grow and expand it's capabilities at an exponential rate (use Moore's Law methodology if you will ...) and a development plan should be created that supports such exponential but controlled development.

Improving the core of the GG-MM to PIC32 100pin and having full pin out to allow systematic connection of add on facilities with supporting software to make it easy for people to connect devices and have as little trouble as possible should be a near term minimum goal.

Plug and Play capability would be a great deal breaker for the majority of people with limited programming experience who would revel in using such a forward development of the GG-MM.

The Arduino and others can be analysed to provide a 'learn from experience' and 'don't make the same mistakes' development.

However, if the wish is to maintain the GG Maximite as a small hobby microcomputer then do nothing and watch the moggies breed out of control.

The future depends on design!

Keith

rhamer

Posted: 09:34am 18 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Your preaching to the converted here Keith.

Cheers

Rohan
Rohan Hamer
HAMFIELD Software & Hardware Solutions

Makers of the Maximite Expander.

http://www.hamfield.com.au

Dinosaur

Guru

Posted: 09:59am 18 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all

After reading the "History" of MMBasic, GG has spent a lot of time on it.
But, if the aim is explode the sales of mm boards, then MMBasic is going to have to be a casualty.If GG were to provide a "core" in MikroBasic that covered all the devices attached, then the user could expand using the full MikroBasic capacity to the Pic32 limits. Being a compiled Basic it will be heaps faster, and wipe out half the wishlist items.
I also agree with you Keith that not bringing out all the pins (at least to a header) is stifling the user. You can guarantee that if GG doesn't do it,then somebody else will. I think the concept of the MM is brilliant, and is the most important tool to bring more young people into the field.But after a while they will want to progress beyond the limits of MMBasic, and will look for other boards to do it.It is a natural progression from MMBasic to a compiled 32 bit basic.

Anyway that is my 2 bob's worth.

Regards
Regards
Hervey Bay Qld.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024