Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:58 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MMBasic Test Version 2.5A

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 07:34am 16 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a test version of the Maximite firmware that can be downloaded from:
http://geoffg.net/Downloads/Maximite/Maximite_Update_V2.5A.z ip

This is identical to version 2.5 except that it has fixed the bug reported elsewhere on this site where it was impossible to read or use a string containing a character with a value of zero (ie, CHR$(0)).

So, now the following program will work:

10 OPEN "chartest.dat" FOR output AS #1
15 FOR i = 0 TO &HFF
20 PRINT #1, CHR$(i);
25 NEXT i
30 CLOSE #1
35 '
40 OPEN "chartest.dat" FOR input AS #1
45 FOR i = 0 TO &HFF
50 IF ASC(INPUT$(1, #1)) <> i THEN ERROR
55 NEXT i
60 CLOSE #1

While on the surface this looks like an easy fix it required extensive changes to the way string handling is done within MMBasic, so I would be grateful if as many people as possible could give this version a run with their most complex program and let me know if it fails. I have run it through my regression tests but, with a change as extensive as this, it is hard to test for every variation and this is why I need help with more testing.

For the programmers out there here is a quick explanation:
The original bug occurred because C style strings were used within MMBasic and they use a zero valued byte to indicate the end of a string. So I had to modify the string handling to use Pascal style strings where the length of the string is stored in the first byte of the array with subsequent bytes holding the characters of the string. These strings are NOT terminated with a zero byte and because of this they can hold the full range of binary values for a byte (from 0x00 to 0xff). These strings are used in variables, functions and expression evaluations in the interpreter. The rest of the firmware uses normal C style strings and so there are often conversions between the two. I plan to release the full source when I get to release version 2.6

Thanks, looking forward to lots of "it works OK" reports,
Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

Bill.b

Posted: 10:24am 16 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Geoff

this version has also fixed the video jetter that i had with v2.5

regards Bill
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

ajkw

Posted: 11:02am 16 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoff,

It has been able to handle all the string functions that I have been able to throw at it so far.

I see this version has the fix for the Settick wont tick after ctrl-c problem also.

Regards,
Anthony.

VK6MRG

Guru

Posted: 02:13pm 16 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Geoff,
So far so good.
I report that "it works OK"
Regards,
Matthew
VK6MRG

Its easier to ask forgiveness than to seek permission!

............VK6MRG.............VK3MGR............

sparkey

Posted: 02:19pm 16 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

running it on the altro fist bacth of kitset dont really use it much atm but firmwhare loaded ok regards sparkey....
technicians do it with least resistance

VK6MRG

Guru

Posted: 02:31pm 16 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, the update was tried on my original Maximite (V2 from Altronics-second batch) and the Maximite EV (revision A).

Regards,
Matthew
VK6MRG
Its easier to ask forgiveness than to seek permission!

............VK6MRG.............VK3MGR............

ajkw

Posted: 01:41am 21 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoff,
I have only noted this curiosity since loading this version but may not be actually related to just this version. It however seems to relate to string handling within the option prompt command.

In the attached screen shot you will see I set the prompt in line 5065 of my autorun program.

Careful study of the prompt shows that when the current directory is the root directory there is a space between the time and the \ but when set to a directory the space disappears.

Cheers,
Anthony.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024