Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:04 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Question for Rohan

FrankMc

Posted: 10:50am 16 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Rohan

Had a quick read of the instructions for the kits you sent and was wondering if i need to remove/replace the 26pin idc socket on the boards Don sent...SM1...??? Also pins 3 +4 an issue on this board...??

Thanks
Frank

rhamer

Posted: 11:24am 16 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

FrankMc said   Hi Rohan

Had a quick read of the instructions for the kits you sent and was wondering if i need to remove/replace the 26pin idc socket on the boards Don sent...SM1...??? Also pins 3 +4 an issue on this board...??

Thanks
Frank

The short answer is I don't know.

However if the connector is the same as the Altronics one, then the same rules apply.

Either way, you don't have to change the connector, just crimp the cable the opposite way at one end and it will do the flip for you.

My boards were designed from the original Silicon Chip published article.

Rohan
Rohan Hamer
HAMFIELD Software & Hardware Solutions

Makers of the Maximite Expander.

http://www.hamfield.com.au

donmck

Guru

Posted: 07:33pm 16 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Rohan,

We get our gear from tctec, and Richard uses a standard 26 Pin R/A IDC connector on the SM1 board, same as the original in the Silicon Chip article.

Richard puts a straight header on the EV version, however again it is a standard 26 pin IDC connector.

Cheers Don...
https://www.32v8.com/1

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 09:49pm 16 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

FrankMc said   Hi Rohan

Thanks
Frank

Hi Frank,

The Dontronics PCB is the same footprint as the kit Altronics released.. So if Rohan has instructions relating to The Altronics kit they will apply to the Dontronics PCB..

Essentially I think Rohan has used the cct diagram (Original one) and put a straight header with pin 1 in the pin 1 position. Altronics (in their wisdom??) decided to release the kit with Right angle connector which has to be reverse ie. Pin 1 in Pin 26 and vice versa, otherwise the connector would face inwards (totally useless).

Ok this creates a dilema, we can go about this three ways..

1. Remove the Right angle connector of the SM1 and replace with a straight connector (pin 1 to pin 1 marking on the PCB).

2. Crimp a `special' 26 way cable that has one connector with the pin 1 marking facing the pin 26 side of the cable.

3. Cut the key off of a `normal' 26 way cable and reverse connect ONE end only.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Mick

Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

FrankMc

Posted: 11:03pm 19 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said  
  FrankMc said   Hi Rohan

Thanks
Frank

Hi Frank,

The Dontronics PCB is the same footprint as the kit Altronics released.. So if Rohan has instructions relating to The Altronics kit they will apply to the Dontronics PCB..

Essentially I think Rohan has used the cct diagram (Original one) and put a straight header with pin 1 in the pin 1 position. Altronics (in their wisdom??) decided to release the kit with Right angle connector which has to be reverse ie. Pin 1 in Pin 26 and vice versa, otherwise the connector would face inwards (totally useless).
Thanks for clarifying that Mike.....Think I,ll replace the headers on my boards......

Frank

1. Remove the Right angle connector of the SM1 and replace with a straight connector (pin 1 to pin 1 marking on the PCB).

2. Crimp a `special' 26 way cable that has one connector with the pin 1 marking facing the pin 26 side of the cable.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Mick

FrankMc

Posted: 11:08pm 19 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

FrankMc said  
  bigmik said  
  FrankMc said   Hi Rohan

Thanks
Frank

Hi Frank,

Thanks for clarifying that Mike.....Think I,ll replace the headers on my boards......

Frank

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Mick

FrankMc

Posted: 12:29am 20 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said  
  FrankMc said   Hi Rohan

Thanks
Frank

Hi Frank,

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Mick

Thanks for clarifying Mick...Think i will replace the headers on my boards...

Frank

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024