Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:29 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Maximite LCD demo program

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 02:33am 17 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm having a bad day. Trying to get a 16*2 LCD display to work with the Maximite. I had a LCD screen in my collection of bits, a working display that was once in my PicAxe based dump load controller. It's a AC162B, probably bought from Dick Smith. I connected it up as shown in the LCD.PDF file, but when I run the program all I get is gibberish on the screen. If I edit the sample program to just initialize the display, it clears, so its obviously responding to the initilisation commands, but as soon as I rty to send text I get rubbish.

I figured it may be a characterset difference or something, so I went out and bought a QP5512 from Jaycar this morning. The QP5512 is one suggested to work with the demo program. Wired it up, blank display! Looked up a PDF for that display ( its a SD1602GULB ) and it looks like its not pin compatible with the other LCD displays I've used in the past. Instead of the pins numbering 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16 they number 15,16,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14 !!!!!

I rewired it, but now I get a few lines on the screen on power up, and thats it, it wont respond. Looks like I've fried it, $19 down the drain.

So before I go and buy another bloody display, could anyone confirm the LCD.bas program works, as is? It may be my original display is ok, but there is a bug in the program.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

vasi

Guru

Posted: 03:52am 17 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn,

I think I have a similar one (15,16,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14) and the initialization differ from a standard HD44780.

Look here.

Vasi

P.S. I did the project after a long period on inactivity as can be seen on the FreeJALduino board.
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

Talbit

Posted: 04:16am 17 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Make sure you are using the very latest circuit from Geoff. The original had the data pins wired incorrectly.
Talbit
Talbit

Talbit

Posted: 04:17am 17 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Also add a small delay in between resetting the display and sending some data.
Talbit

I posted some info on this some time back. Look for my posts.

I'm surprized the pin numbers for the QP-5512 don't go 1 to 16 in ascending order. I thought I had one working (but blew it up because I was stupid doing something I shouldn't have) Be aware that the +v and GND for the Jaycar displays are the opposite way around to the Altronics version and many others.
I definitely had a QP-5516 working.
I'm using the larger QP-5520 with LCD.bas. It works fine.

Just checking further...
You might be right about the pinouts... R to L - 15,16 then 1 to 14. I'll recheck tonight when I get home. Pins 15 and 16 are for the LED backlight. I found a note I wrote myself re the QP-5512 and QP-5516 and I noted that pin 1 on both displays was VDD +5V and pin 2 was VSS 0V. So double check the power supply pins. I Googled your SD1602GULB and it had them the other way around. Did you get a pinout sheet with the QP-5512. Jaycar don't have any info on their web site - at least I couldn't find it.

TalbitEdited by Talbit 2011-08-18
Talbit

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 05:15am 17 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Talbit said   Also add a small delay in between resetting the display and sending some data.

Bingo

Thats fixed it, I added a 10mS delay and it runs perfectly. Thats on my old display. The new one is definately stuffed unfortunately.

Thanks Talbit

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Talbit

Posted: 05:20am 17 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Knock it back to 1mS and see if it still works okay.

Talbit

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 05:22am 17 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just reading your post, yeah I would have wired it wrong, I had ground on pin 1 and +5 on pin 2. I'll try again and see if it's alive. There was no documentaion with the display either, Jaycar should include some I think.

Also, while I was there this morning I noticed they had a Maximite in the Kits section. If anyone is in Toowoomba and wants one, its at the Jaycar agent at the Hooper center, look for the Altronics kit on display with all the Jaycar kits, back wall.

Glenn
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 05:23am 17 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yep 1ms worked fine.

JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 05:29am 17 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I found a couple of PDF's that show pin 1 as ground and 2 as +5, so it looks like I had that bit right, but it is a confusing pin out.

Glenn
JAQ

VK6MRG

Guru

Posted: 07:13am 19 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo said   Also, while I was there this morning I noticed they had a Maximite in the Kits section. If anyone is in Toowoomba and wants one, its at the Jaycar agent at the Hooper center, look for the Altronics kit on display with all the Jaycar kits, back wall.

Glenn

I ordered a Maximite 5 weeks ago and was surprised to see a retail shop with stock and I’m still waiting! I rand Altronics to see what's going on and was told that there was still a large waiting list. I gave then my order number and told that yes one was allocated to me and to expect it on Tuesday.
So if you are waiting for a Maximite from Altronics, call then and have your order number handy, as it's more likely that they have forgotten to send it out as was the case with me!

My 128th post. woohoo. Edited by VK6MRG 2011-08-20
Its easier to ask forgiveness than to seek permission!

............VK6MRG.............VK3MGR............

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024