Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:14 09 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : DuinoMite and UEXT Support.

Page 2 of 2    
Sepp

Posted: 10:46am 13 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Forgot to mention....

I have 15 computers running at the site ...

Sepp

sparkey

Posted: 11:14am 13 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

i think u need some serious modifiacations i dont think that this is going to be a easy task even for the maximite i realy think you should look for professional help with this one as what you need are in line monitors that can sense yor carrir and your data and also sense that the link nis still active ..at the same time u would prolly have to manually sit there with the actual circuits diagrams and hack out a "yes as you say it ""watch dog"" there used to be quite a few guys doing this gear at "ammatuer radio fests" i have not worked with micro wave links but i do have a very intenseive radio experiance ...i have been sitting here for the past "hour" just trying to take it all in ...when you say your link is 500m does this mean "meters" and what sort of power or "db" is the transmiter power is it that some thing is acully comming inbetwen the line of site comm`s....dropping the link ...it is your "//// hang on do you have a bidirectional sat link"""""
technicians do it with least resistance

sparkey

Posted: 11:17am 13 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

move the server too the shed ...getting a little confused here you say you have 15 machines ..i gather that these are at yor house ...yeah i agre more info needed please in one post explain the whole box and dice from a to z you also state your running this "skymesh " which when it drops out it self resets but your comms do not am i getting this...you need a comms engineer....Edited by sparkey 2011-11-14

Keith @

Posted: 11:22am 13 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sepp

UEXT and Ethernet is available (not sure about the Duinomite yet as per previous info from Olimex)

http://www.olimex.com/dev/pdf/OTHER/MOD-ENC28J60.pdf

Keith
The more we know, the more we know we don't know !

sparkey

Posted: 11:30am 13 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

do you have momentry actin rest`s on your equipment maybe all you need to do is mount up some rf controlled soleiniods to hit reset buttons.....

rhamer

Posted: 09:48pm 13 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If all you need is to ping two ip addresses, then I would just manually build the ICMP packet and send it.

The problem here is people say I want Ethernet without really understanding what they are asking for. To implement Ethernet at a hardware level is relatively easy, but to then write code to handle all the different protocols that can be sent over Ethernet is an enormous amount of work, that's why companies like microchip have produced a stack (ie all the protocol handling) for use with their products.

But this stack is of course at source code level, I.e. C in this case and the Maximite runs C code that presents an interpreted version of basic to the user, so in order to get all the Internet protocols working, the stack needs to be added to the source code that is mmbasic and then appropriate hooks devised in the language to make use of it. Again that is a lot of work, and doesn't really fit in to the procedural type of language that is mmbasic.

So in answer to the actual problem, I would just do what I said in the first line, and roll your own packet that is a hand built ping packet and handle the reply as a one off job, rather than a generic implementation of the ICMP protocol.

Oh, and for the record, (shameless plug) my Ethernet board would provide the hardware you need, and will plug into a standard Altronics Maximite.

Cheers

RohanEdited by rhamer 2011-11-15
Rohan Hamer
HAMFIELD Software & Hardware Solutions

Makers of the Maximite Expander.

http://www.hamfield.com.au

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 10:03pm 13 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sepp said   Forgot to mention....

I have 15 computers running at the site ...

Sepp

Sepp,
I understand your predicament.
I had 3 years on satellite and have recently changed to wireless. Not with Skymesh here but much the same setup. Lucky for me, my link is 7km line of site and the modem is only on the shed 20 meters away.

You need a serial to Ethernet module that can be configured as a client. It needs to be able to initiate the TCP connection and give some indication when the link is established.

I have modules using the M4000T chip which I got from Ocean Controls a few years ago but I am not sure if they are still available.

From the programing side,
Start a connection to the IP of your choice,
Check that it was established,
If not - do a powerdown reset (and log to SD card for later reference).
wait 3 minutes and test again.
Provided you are using TCP and not UDP, there is no need to transfer any data, just establish the connection and then clear it afterwards.

You should be able to do this using one of the Olimex modules.

There is an alternative:
If you have a PC running all the time, use it to monitor the Internet links and then send a command to a Maximite via an RF link to do the power cycling.
Serial-RF modules are readily available and easy to use.

In your situation, I would prefer the first option.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

rhamer

Posted: 10:13pm 13 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah, thinking about this some more, I would do as Jim suggested and do the ping test from one of your servers, then just message the Maximite to do the relay resets.

This is even easier as you just write a basic serial command that is sent via Ethernet to the Maximite (through my Ethernet module) and the job is done.

However if you did want both the test and control contained in the Maximite, them my previous method would work.

Cheers

Rohan
Rohan Hamer

Sepp

Posted: 11:33pm 13 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

To Rohan and all others...

Many thanks for all the input ...

I am inclined to explore Rohans suggestions, both hardware & serial as above.....

Will let you know how I am going ....

Thanks again

Sepp

jebz

Posted: 04:45am 14 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sepp said   both hardware & serial

If you use a Mikrotik router (eg RB450) or Mikrotik wireless access point (eg 411AR) with a serial port you can use the Maximite to connect via this. You can then issue a command line ping or any other available command and process the response with an appropriate action.

rhamer

Posted: 06:38am 14 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have successfully got the ping command to work, using one of my Ethernet boards.

The rough code looks like this, which issues commands to the module from the Maximite.

10 OPEN "COM2:9600" AS #1
20 PAUSE 200
30 PRINT #1, "C0.0.0.0";
40 PRINT #1, CHR$(13);
50 PAUSE 100
60 PRINT #1, "PI 74.125.237.17";
70 PRINT #1, CHR$(13);
80 PAUSE 2000
90 PRINT #1, "QU";
100 PRINT #1, CHR$(13);
110 PAUSE 100
120 PRINT #1, "RS";
130 PRINT #1, CHR$(13);
140 a$ = INPUT$(200, #1)
150 PRINT a$;
160 PAUSE 5000

The module responds with either this;

*** NodeSet 2.0 ***
0>PI 74.125.237.17
Seq 001 time 45ms

or this

*** NodeSet 2.0 ***
0>PI 75.25.237.17
Timeout

The pause value after the PI command probably needs tuning, but you get the idea.

Cheers

Rohan
Rohan Hamer

Sepp

Posted: 06:43am 14 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Roha,

that was very fast, looks good, will get the parts soon

Sepp

Sepp

Posted: 06:51am 14 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry Rohan,

one more question....

is there a documention on the node set commands you are using??/

Thanks

Sepp

rhamer

Posted: 08:32am 14 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sepp said   Sorry Rohan,

one more question....

is there a documention on the node set commands you are using??/

Thanks

Sepp

Yeah, sort of.

They are commands that are supported by the XPort, and so the documentation is theirs.

Having said that, I find their documentation and support channels woefull.

The product is very good and extremely capable, but sometimes it's like drawing teeth to get information.

Having said that, I find throwing the question out to the community usually finds someone that had already done the hard yards. Like this for example

Cheers

RohanEdited by rhamer 2011-11-15
Rohan Hamer

Sepp

Posted: 08:52am 14 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

funny, good product, bad documentation... sound like third world ...

anyhow I have contacted Olimex to find out if I can connect your board to Duinomite... as their board has proper UART...

I thank you again ...

Sepp

rhamer

Posted: 09:04am 14 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sepp said   funny, good product, bad documentation... sound like third world ...

anyhow I have contacted Olimex to find out if I can connect your board to Duinomite... as their board has proper UART...

I thank you again ...

Sepp

The type of UART won't matter, they both end up achieving the same result, just in a different way.

So long as it can generate Asynchronous data at 9600 Bps (which is now a standard part of maximite landscape) then all will be fine.

Rohan

Rohan Hamer

Lopezjm2001

Posted: 03:59pm 03 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Is there any update on the Olimex Uext Mod-ad module. Is available for sale yet?. I was hoping to use this module for monitoring and logging Lifepo4 cells.
Lopez

donmck

Guru

Posted: 04:03pm 03 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Lopezjm2001 said   Is there any update on the Olimex Uext Mod-ad module. Is available for sale yet?. I was hoping to use this module for monitoring and logging Lifepo4 cells.

The last I heard was:

https://www.olimex.com/forum/index.php?topic=683.0

may pay to ask either on that group, or Olimex direct.

Don...
https://www.32v8.com/1

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024