Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:39 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MM Power supply spikes and resets

AndrewB

Posted: 08:14am 31 Mar 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a MM controlling a piece of equipment, giving status reports and responding to control commands via an SMS modem. The equipment has an associated 240volt 1/4 hp induction motor and two 240VAC solenoids. This equipment is on the same AC circuit as the MM. The MM doesn't control the motor etc. directly, the motor is controlled by the equipment the MM controls.

The motor etc run for a few seconds every half hour. Once every couple of days, the MM does a reset at the time the motor runs (the system reports all software starts via SMS) so I believe that 240V spikes are causing the reset despite a heavily filtered supply and extra capacitors placed (I believe) in strategic places.

Has anyone found a sweet spot to put supply filter caps?

I'm going to put more spike suppression closer to the sources tomorrow, hoping that will cure my problem, but since the site is 200km away I'd like to cure this glitch.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers.

djuqa

Guru

Posted: 08:25am 31 Mar 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

One possibility is that that reset is NOT PS related but EMI. EMI can be directly affect the Micro-controller and the associated circuitry.
Switching can induce large EMI fields.
Instead of more filter caps you may need some toroids on the MM power lead and place Faraday (metal Mesh) shielding around the MM circuit board. Also regarding the power supply is it a Linear Supply (i.e. Transformer based) they are more prone to AC pulses.
Switch-Mode Power supplies are less prone to AC Noise.

VK4MU MicroController Units

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 09:15am 31 Mar 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Check item 1 in this document: http://geoffg.net/Downloads/Maximite/Top%20Six%20Hardware%20 Issues.pdf

I would recommend the ceramic cap solution as that has fixed a couple of situations where noise on the supply caused resets.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

AndrewB

Posted: 10:11am 31 Mar 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the input.

I can try improving C5 (thanks Geoff) and putting a ferrite loop on the supply lead (thanks djuqa) to the MM as well as the 'at source' spike suppression.

Unfortunately, if it works, I wont know which "fix" made the problem go away, but at least I'll be happy.

palcal

Guru

Posted: 10:03pm 01 Apr 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Andrew, I had the same problem. I tried running the MM through an extremely good AC filter to no avail. I then replaced C5 wiht the SMD cap. as used in the Mini MM and no more problems.

Paul
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

AndrewB

Posted: 09:59am 02 Apr 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well I went to the site yesterday and put more spark suppression at the source. I didn't have time to find an SMD cap, but did find some tantalums with a higher working voltage as suggested by Geoff.

So far so good, but it has only been 30 hours. I'll be sure to report back in a week to let you know if it's fixed.

Thanks again guys.

AndrewB

Posted: 09:43am 13 Apr 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well, it's been more than a week, but not complete success so far. The rate of restarts is lower, but not zero. As it happens, this particular system is pretty tolerant to restarts, and they will only be a problem on two days each year (changes from winter to summer time and back).

So, the next step is to buy a ceramic cap before my next visit to site and see if that cures the problem.

Question without notice: is there a reason why power supply spikes cause a reset rather than a hang? I've thought maybe I should implement a watchdog timer, but so far it seems unnecessary.

darthmite

Posted: 12:44pm 13 Apr 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It can be that the 'Brownout' bit is set at compile time.
This bit reset the CPU when the voltage drop under a certain level.
I used this on PIC18 and it must exist on the PIC32 too.

Cheers.

Theory is when we know everything but nothing work ...
Practice is when everything work but no one know why ;)

plasma
Guru

Posted: 08:42pm 13 Apr 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

will the maximite run without equipment ?
"masseschleife" or "ground loop" maybe
why not try a car accumulator for the maximite to cut out powersource spikes?(test)

AndrewB

Posted: 12:03pm 23 Jun 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It's been a few months now, but two weeks ago I was able to visit my controller (it's 200km away from home) and replace the cap as recommended with a Y5V dielectric type. This resulted in great improvement; to one restart in two weeks instead of one restart every day on average.

So I can definitely support Geoff's recommendation regarding replacing C5 with a ceramic cap with Y5V dielectric. I was able to source a pack of 25 of these caps at a sensible price from RS Components.

Thanks to all who have helped.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024