Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 20:02 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MM I2 bus help

Eloclegin

Posted: 03:18am 01 Jul 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Newby to this forum. loving my Maximites. Can anyone give me advice on interconnecting 2 MMs.

I have MM running superbly standalone (includes reading Time from an Ext RTC using I2).
I would like to hang a second MM on the I2 bus and "pull" some occassional data from the main MM, and then go off and do something different with this data.
I assume best way is to connect the second MM via i2 bus and make second MM as a Slave.

Can anyone give me some detailed advice and pointers. My knowledge of I2 is v weak and there seem to be a ton of options, most of which I dont need to use. i just want to define a bus address in the Slave MM and then write out some data (about 20 variable values, every 10 secs or so, from a loop) from the Master MM.
Also, if the Master MM writes out some data to the slave MM on I2, does the slave MM already need to be awaiting the data (at an appropriate stage in its own prog) or will the data go to some register space at the Slave MM? If so, where?

Can anyone offer me some help, advice, sample code etc.. Thank you in advance.

donmck

Guru

Posted: 11:59am 02 Jul 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

As no one had come up with an an answer to assist at this point, have a read of:

http://www.duinomite.com/serial-communication-between-two-du inomites-a-tutorial/

This gives an example of two DuinoMites communicating via serial comms. You will need to select the appropriate pins to suit a MaxiMite, but in principle, it should work fine.

Don...
https://www.32v8.com/1

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 03:55am 03 Jul 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I expect I2C could work - the first step would be to learn I2C in detail.

I think there would be no buffering by the hardware and the slave would have to wait / perhaps poll for the master wanting it, but there's no substitute for learning I2C.

JohnEdited by JohnS 2012-07-04

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024