Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 17:03 17 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : What can I do with my `mite

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 02:08pm 12 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ok,

We have all been having fun playing games (who doesnt like killing aliens) but what can we do with our 'mite?

I am glad you asked... the answer is (whatever you want to do).. I want to use this topic to show some interesting cheap add-ons that we can adapt to our 'mite and maybe get our brains ticking over and put them to some `real world' use.

Ok. here are some nice little cheap items from Dealextreme.com (chinese company who provide free postage)

25 little Proto PCBs that we can solder a 26 DIL header onto that will plug in the back of the 'mite and allow small components to be soldered on for proto-typing (or permanent if you wish)

Proto PCBs

1 channel Relay PCB

Relay

2 channel relay PCB

Relays

8 x seven segement display PCB (Green)

7 Segment display

16 key Matrix Keypad

Key Matrix

8 x 7 seg display plus keys and leds

display keys & Leds

I2C or SPI driven LCD display

Serial Display

There are many more items available there for pie and sauce prices. Please add any more nice little gems to whet our appetites.

Regards,

Mick
Edited by bigmik 2012-08-14
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

vasi

Guru

Posted: 06:11pm 12 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hmmm, I2C LCD would be great! I need to learn how to make I2C slave devices...
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

brucepython

Posted: 09:01am 13 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just a word of warning regarding DealExtreme: they have amazingly awful customer service, with an arcane system of reporting problems and, I suspect, few internal mechanisms for tracking them, let alone providing a solution.

Late last year I ordered a device that turned up quickly, but it didn't work. Getting a replacement took four months of emails that seemed to go around in circles, but never to the same "identity" twice so there was no continuity of contact. An apparent lack of ability to comprehend English didn't help. (My Cantonese is pretty awful too, I must admit.) Eventually, long after I'd given up hope, a replacement device arrived and it works well, but to be honest it just wasn't worth the frustration of dealing with this mob.

Before ordering from them, take the time to read the reviews of their service. It's somewhere - don't be in a rush to find it - on their site.

B

jdh2550

Posted: 10:55am 13 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah, DealExtreme is definitely a bit of a lottery. The old adage of "you get what you pay for" applies.

I've always had good luck - but I've only ever bought cheap stuff along with the attitude of "hey, if it works great - but if not, oh well..."

Some stuff can take a long time to reach the US (usually marked with a customs declaration form saying it's a "gift"!)

Browsing their site is always "dangerous" - "hey, I wonder what I could do with this?"

jdh2550

Posted: 11:09am 13 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

jdh2550 said  
Browsing their site is always "dangerous" - "hey, I wonder what I could do with this?"

Case in point I just ordered 3 items for < $20

[code]

30cm Breadboard Wires for Electronic DIY (40-Cable Pack) USD$ 4.90
Wireless Bluetooth RS232 TTL Transceiver Module USD$ 6.60
Arduino Compatible 8X Seven Segments Display + 8X Key +
8X Double Color LED Modulr USD$ 6.99
[/code]

From the bottom up:

- a display and buttons are always a useful addition to any project!
- adding bluetooth serial connectivity to a project for <$7, how cool is that?
- breadboard / prototyping wires - can you ever have enough?

I have no self control! But hey, at least it's only $20 and I'll get a surprise in a month or so when it turns up...Edited by jdh2550 2012-08-14

donmck

Guru

Posted: 11:29am 13 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have used Dealexteme for many years, and have suggested them to many customers.

Sure it is a lottery, and don't ever expect a sensible, or useful email response from them.

The package may never arrive.
Goods could be completely useless, and nothing like the item(s) advertised.

I usually order 3 as they are cheaper in lots of 3, and one may work if the other two don't. I may be able to make two of them work eventually.

I wouldn't buy high value items from them, but my overall experience has been good.

The sort of project items that Mick and others are talking about, are worth having a go at, considering the prices, and zero postage.

Don...

https://www.32v8.com/d

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 11:45am 13 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

jdh2550 said   Yeah, DealExtreme is definitely a bit of a lottery. The old adage of "you get what you pay for" applies.

Hi JDH/All,

I have bought literally 1000's of items from DX and I can concur that when things go wrong they ARE a pain in the A## to deal with... that aside my `rules' for dealing with them are as follows:

1. Dont buy anything that is expensive or near to LOCAL price..
2. Dont place large orders. Always split them into several smaller ones. They have a habit of holding up in stock items waiting for the item that is out of stock to come in.
3. If its a cheapo item and it doesnt work... count it as a loss at that time and carry on. The wins outweigh the losses many times.

The bottom line is you dont get first class service for budget prices.. If you arent prepared for a little bit of excitement and surprise dont buy from them but I reckon they get it right 95% of the time.. The items have never been lost in transit and usually work as expected..

Once they sent me 5 plastic bike clips (worth $10) instead of some electronic stuff worth $100. I had to buy the plastic clips to get them to send the correct order..They stuffed about big time with demands like.

Scan your packaging, scan the items, get cost to return the items, do you want them? ok then buy them and we send the correct items.. each request took about 3-4 days to respond and in the mean time my correct items were not sent until I satisfied their `loss' for the items I didnt want... Not the way I would do business but Hey! Thats part of the fun... Chinese items are around 1/5 the local price here, if they are available here, and even then they are probably bought from China anyway.

Have some fun give them a go.. But dont expect overnight delivery or gold plated wrapping.

jdh2550 said  

Please advise how you get on.. I was interested in those little beasties as well.

Regards,

Mick

Edited by bigmik 2012-08-14
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

jdh2550

Posted: 12:09pm 13 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said   Not the way I would do business but Hey! Thats part of the fun... [/quote]
My sentiments exactly.

[quote]
  jdh2550 said  

Please advise how you get on.. I was interested in those little beasties as well.
[/quote]

will do - but don't hold your breath - I have more ideas than time... (don't we all?).

BTW, what I'd really like, but have never found, is a cost effective BT HID module. I created a little six key chording keyboard (google GKOS for details). I had it so it would be recognized as a keyboard if plugged in with USB - but I really wanted to make it bluetooth.

shoebuckle

Posted: 01:46pm 13 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have used CatchOfTheDay with great success. Only one item, a refurbished PVR, turned out to be a bummer, but they took it back for a full refund without question. Other items have been brand new and worked perfectly. Delivery was within a week and well packaged.
With the exception of the PVR, everything I have bought has been under $20 and I agree with other posts; if it doesn't work... so what! You win most of the time.
Cheers.

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 09:45pm 13 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've never bought from them but now I feel informed - so thanks all!

BTW, the BT things may be the kind that are sort of daughterboards for an "interface module". If so, you may want to order that too.

John

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024