Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 12:46 17 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : (DM) ULN2003 based stepper motor [solved]

mariae71

Posted: 07:04am 22 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all, I'm Maria from Sweden and new to micro controllers but eager to learn. :)

Have a DuinoMite Mega and some ULN2003 stepper motor drivers and a couple of unipolar (five wires) stepper motors from scrapped scanners/printers. Problem is, I'm not sure where to put current on the stepper motor driver, so thought I ask if any of you could help. I attach photo of the driver so you see it.

I suspect i should put either 5v or 12v on either of the terminals labelled so, and leave the unused one jumpered as is, but to afraid to just test it in case it fries my DuinoMite.

(have another DuinoMite still boxed if this one fry)

edit: Perhaps the back with all traces are good to include. :)

edit again: sorry, disregard all this, I see now it says 5 to 12v... How embarrassing... Pretty tempted to delete this post now... Well... Edited by mariae71 2012-08-23
2 x DuinoMite Mega
1 x DuinoMite eMega

Frank N. Furter
Guru

Posted: 07:46am 22 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Maria,

take a look at:

http://ssecganesh.blogspot.de/2008/05/driving-stepper-motor- using-uln2003.html

Frank

mariae71

Posted: 08:55am 22 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Much thanks for the link Frank,

I managed to get the driver to output signal in the right sequence and the motor to spin, but I think two or more pins between the driver and motor is in wrong place, because motor sometimes misses steps or run a bit jerky... Awesome with the leds on the driver so one can see the sequence... :)

The illustration on the link you provided should be a great help to put wires in right order on the motor. :) Edited by mariae71 2012-08-23
2 x DuinoMite Mega
1 x DuinoMite eMega

mariae71

Posted: 10:23am 22 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I change my mind, I'm now pretty sure i have the motors wired up correct, because they actually run silk smooth with a 5ms pause between steps as fastest, only not so much torque, but that's what to expect I guess...

So... Now I need a driver for bipolar stepper motors, but that's for another day, or year...
2 x DuinoMite Mega
1 x DuinoMite eMega

Frank N. Furter
Guru

Posted: 01:15am 23 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Maria,

take a look on

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1182 or
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1183

for a bipolar motor driver.

I think 2A is too much for this layout without cooling, but it seems to be a very interesting driver chip.

I have one of the Pololu A4988 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier at home but had not yet time to check it out...

Frank

mariae71

Posted: 06:22am 23 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello again Frank,

Once again, thanks for the tips, I actually ordered a stepper motor controller called Big Easy 2 or something similar last night...

Also ordered a stack of ULN2003 chip, since I fried one of the transistors in one of the chips... Might be able to use the chip anyway if I modify the card and exchange the traces, but, it really does not matter, because 7 ULN2003 chip only cost around 1€ from my supplier. Might be able to use the broken arrays to control some relays instead. :)

Also read somewhere that one can stack two or three ULN2003 on top of each other to increase the amperage tolerance, can someone confirm this?
2 x DuinoMite Mega
1 x DuinoMite eMega

Frank N. Furter
Guru

Posted: 08:40am 23 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Maria,

it is not a good choice to stack different ULN2003 together. ...but it is possible to increase the allowable current with shorting two outputs of one ULN2003!

Different ULN2003 have different transistors with different values and different temperatures - you will get a unequal current through the transistors!
One output must deliver more current than the other!

The transistors in one ULN2003 have the same tolerances and aprox. the same temperatur => you can shorting two or three outputs (and inputs) from the same ULN2003 to increase the allowable current!

Frank

mariae71

Posted: 01:34pm 23 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

But if I stack four identical ULN2003 ontop of each other, or is every ULN2003 from same type and batch different? Because the ULN2003 only have 7 transistors i cannot short the pins on one chip to double since i need 8 transistors to do that.Edited by mariae71 2012-08-24
2 x DuinoMite Mega
1 x DuinoMite eMega

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 03:56pm 23 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just use 4 larger single transistors to drive the uni-polar motor, the DB681 darlington transistor is a 4 amp transistor and is a common choice in my projects.
Sometimes it just works

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 05:24pm 23 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

mariae71 said   But if I stack four identical ULN2003 ontop of each other, or is every ULN2003 from same type and batch different? Because the ULN2003 only have 7 transistors i cannot short the pins on one chip to double since i need 8 transistors to do that.

The temperature inside each IC would be different.
The one on the bottom would have less cooling so its gets hotter.
The internal temperature within each IC would be reasonably consistent.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Frank N. Furter
Guru

Posted: 07:33pm 23 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ TassyJim: Exactly!

I developed a simple driver circuit for unipolar motors with SMD-mosfet transistors since years ago...
Mosfets are a better choice then Darlingten transistors...

Take a look at: http://www.wegold.de/html-d/produkte/katalog-detail.php?id=1 391 or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgf1O6Ua7G8

This machine works with my circuit. There are 6 linear-actuators (unipolar stepper motors) inside, controlled by keyboard...
The generated force of each motor is 100N! ...with little SO23 Mosfet transistors...

Frank

mariae71

Posted: 04:37am 24 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Frank N. Furter said   @ TassyJim: Exactly!

I developed a simple driver circuit for unipolar motors with SMD-mosfet transistors since years ago...
Mosfets are a better choice then Darlingten transistors...

Take a look at: http://www.wegold.de/html-d/produkte/katalog-detail.php?id=1 391 or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgf1O6Ua7G8

This machine works with my circuit. There are 6 linear-actuators (unipolar stepper motors) inside, controlled by keyboard...
The generated force of each motor is 100N! ...with little SO23 Mosfet transistors...

Frank

Nice! That's very impressive! :) Surface mounting is however way out of my league... I have a soldering pen and some empty THT prototype boards, that's it... Will look for THT equivalents of those Mosfet transistors at my local electronics shop.

Downwind said   Just use 4 larger single transistors to drive the uni-polar motor, the DB681 darlington transistor is a 4 amp transistor and is a common choice in my projects.

Thanks, you are all very helpful. :)

Cannot find the DB681 in my local shop, but I guess that DB679 would work as well? Only using 12V and 1A. What resistors do you use with your drivers?
2 x DuinoMite Mega
1 x DuinoMite eMega

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 05:35am 24 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The DB679 should work ok and it has a built in snubber diode so makes it easy there too.

A 1K resistor on the base pin should be suitable, but i dont know the max output rating for the I/O of your processor so you will need to check you dont exceed the max mA rating for the I/O pin.

Using a 1K resistor should be around 10mA on the I/O pin and would be within its range i would expect.
Sometimes it just works

ronee

Posted: 12:37pm 24 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

mariae71 said   But if I stack four identical ULN2003 ontop of each other, or is every ULN2003 from same type and batch different? Because the ULN2003 only have 7 transistors i cannot short the pins on one chip to double since i need 8 transistors to do that.

The better choice would have been the ULN2803 which has 8 sections. Much easier then to parallel two sections for double the output.

Ron P

mariae71

Posted: 07:57pm 26 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

ronee said  

The better choice would have been the ULN2803 which has 8 sections. Much easier then to parallel two sections for double the output.

Ron P

Nice! I ordered a couple of those the other day... :) Also, on a Piezo Driver card from an old broken huge Howtek printer that got slaughtered for rare electronics, I found four ULN2823A, seems to have 8 transistors as well... Other nice stuff on that card is 32 variable resistors, four 10K resistor arrays and four chips called SN74LS24N.

Still planning to test all other suggestions in this thread, I just have to learn a bit more first. I'm very grateful for all help and advice... Thanks! :)

edit: spelling...

edit2: If anyone is interested about what's happened so far... This is a photo of the proto one I made with two ULN2803, with 4 sections in parallel per lead, very satisfied with it, stays room tempered all the time with 12V 650mA, and should handle at least 2A...
Edited by mariae71 2012-09-01
2 x DuinoMite Mega
1 x DuinoMite eMega

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024