Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 17:03 17 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Russian computer emulated on the Maximite

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 07:44pm 22 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

An emulation of the Russian built Radio-86RK computer running on the Maximite hardware by Alexander Demin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGuYyuCkJR8

The Radio-86RK was a computer based on the 8-bit Intel 8080 that was popular in Russia in the 80s. This emulation runs on a Maximite with the PIC32 emulating the 8080. Alexander used the video and keyboard routines from MMBasic and combined them with his 8080 emulator.

GeoffEdited by Geoffg 2012-08-24
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

Nick

Guru

Posted: 08:30pm 22 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

With the Colour Maximite coming, I don't see myself using the older B/W maximite much so it would be cool if that TRS-80 Model 1 emulator that came out for it could be finished.

That ran very well on the Maximite and all my old TRS-80 software could be self contained on the SD and accessed with some file system which was still needing completion.

Nick

donmck

Guru

Posted: 09:58pm 22 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nick said   With the Colour Maximite coming, I don't see myself using the older B/W maximite much so it would be cool if that TRS-80 Model 1 emulator that came out for it could be finished.

That ran very well on the Maximite and all my old TRS-80 software could be self contained on the SD and accessed with some file system which was still needing completion.

Nick

That was a Ken Segler project.
http://kenseglerdesigns.com/cms/sites/default/files/DuinoMit e-Mini-TRSDOS.JPG

Would be very nice to have it finished, but I don't think Ken has any further interest in the MaxiMite, or DuinoMite at this stage.

Don...
https://www.32v8.com/d

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:26pm 22 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Its always interesting to see what other micro's were developed in the early 80's from around the world. The Radio-86RK sounds like it was a real developer platform, high end specs and a built in machine code editor.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

begoon

Posted: 11:40pm 22 Aug 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo,

Radio-86RK launched the generation of its clones. Unfortunately the information is almost everywhere in Russian. There is a poor page in Wikipedia with a short paragraph about Radio-86RK. It was started as a development project published and promoted by a magazine called "Radio". But it gained incredible popularity and become the icon in some sense, similar to the BBC Micro and ZX Spectrum in the UK.

People developed many variations of BASIC, other languages and games in assembler. Some software was ported from other Intel 8080 based systems. I even saw a port of CP/M.

Interestingly, the hardware design was slightly clunky and unreliable. For example, it required three different voltages +5, -5 and +12. So, the power supply was a bit of a challenge to build because the voltages must appear in the correct order, otherwise it burnt RAM chips. Very interesting and addictive, and a lot of people gained a lot of red vessels in their eyes over long winter nights ;-)

From the emulation perspective, it is also quite fun to deal with. For example, along with the video and DMA controllers and the keyboard which I map to the Maximite hardware, Radio-86RK has a general purpose I/O chip, similar to I/O pins in PICs. I emulate it as well mapping to the Maximite GIO pins. It's like the Matrix and The Inception movie. ;-) My previous version of the Radio-86RK/Intel8080 emulator was in JavaScript, but nowadays even Intel 386 can be emulated in JavaScript (jslinux project), so someday PIC32 will be emulated in JavaScript, which in turn emulates I8080, which in turn runs Radio-86RK. ;-)

I won't be surprised if someone comes up with the ZX Spectrum running on the colour Maximite.
Edited by begoon 2012-08-24

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024