Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:48 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Maximite ESR/ CAP METER

OA47

Guru

Posted: 09:26pm 16 Sep 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have been experimenting with the idea of building an ESR/CAP meter using the maximite and just thought maybe some one has tread down this path before me. I am trying to produce a unit similar in operation to the "ESR-micro v4.0" which displays both ESR and Capacitance on a 2 line LCD. I have included a link to show its operation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vQB 7te6SunY

Any comments welcome

donmck

Guru

Posted: 10:47pm 16 Sep 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Corrected the link Graeme:

The forum puts a space in it.

It appears to be a variant of Bob Parker's (Another well known aussie) ESR meter:
You can read a lot about it right here:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/esrtext.htm

and here are the original (Dick Smith) and comparable devices:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/esrmeter.htm

Don...Edited by donmck 2012-09-18
https://www.32v8.com/1

OA47

Guru

Posted: 12:27am 17 Sep 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Don, I should have remembered the forum added the spaces. It is a pity that Dick Smith was the kit distributer of Bob Parkers designs, as people may be aware they dont do the good stuff anymore. I liked the Russian design as it shows both the Capacitance and ESR on the one reading, but like DSE it is not available either. Anyway I thought it would be a good project for the Maximite.

donmck

Guru

Posted: 10:13am 17 Sep 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Graeme Meager said   Thanks Don, I should have remembered the forum added the spaces. It is a pity that Dick Smith was the kit distributer of Bob Parkers designs, as people may be aware they dont do the good stuff anymore. I liked the Russian design as it shows both the Capacitance and ESR on the one reading, but like DSE it is not available either. Anyway I thought it would be a good project for the Maximite.

Yes, I agree, it would be a good project to display the MaxiMite's abilities. I often think about how many electronics projects that could be duplicated or replaced with a MaxiMite.

I often exchange emails with Bob, so please let the group know how you are getting on if you go ahead, as I'm sure Bob would be pleased that one of his designs was the inspiration for you.

Don...
https://www.32v8.com/1

paceman
Guru

Posted: 05:26pm 23 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Graeme Meager said   I have been experimenting with the idea of building an ESR/CAP meter using the maximite and just thought maybe some one has tread down this path before me. I am trying to produce a unit similar in operation to the "ESR-micro v4.0" which displays both ESR and Capacitance on a 2 line LCD. I have included a link to show its operation.

Hi Graeme,
Your reply to Juri74 reminded me of this meter you were thinking of building. Did you ever go ahead with it?
Greg

OA47

Guru

Posted: 11:54pm 28 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

paceman said  
  Graeme Meager said   I have been experimenting with the idea of building an ESR/CAP meter using the maximite and just thought maybe some one has tread down this path before me. I am trying to produce a unit similar in operation to the "ESR-micro v4.0" which displays both ESR and Capacitance on a 2 line LCD. I have included a link to show its operation.

Hi Graeme,
Your reply to Juri74 reminded me of this meter you were thinking of building. Did you ever go ahead with it?
Greg

Greg as my need became more urgent, I built a meter using discrete components and put the maximite version on the back-burner (it only just fits with the many projects already there) some of the issues that haunted me were the power consumption of the maximite (including the LCD ) that would make battery operation difficult and the need for discharge protection for the device when a capacitor was connected.

Graeme

MOBI
Guru

Posted: 01:31am 29 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@paceman,

I am willing to have a go at the MM ESR project.

I had another read through GG's article using a function generator and CRO and I think it can be done using a MM and an op amp or two or even a function generator XR chip - if nothing else but for the sheer fun of it.

here
David M.

paceman
Guru

Posted: 03:53am 30 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Graeme Meager said  
Greg as my need became more urgent, I built a meter using discrete components and put the maximite version on the back-burner (it only just fits with the many projects already there) some of the issues that haunted me were the power consumption of the maximite (including the LCD ) that would make battery operation difficult and the need for discharge protection for the device when a capacitor was connected.
Graeme

Hi Graeme,
Hmmm, I hadn't considered the power usage problem but I guess if you're only doing occasional checks in your "hobby workshop" on caps you have available it's not a big issue. I can see it would be a problem for a techie though.

My need is pretty limited, I just wanted to check some 10uF SMD caps I bought cheaply from Rockby to see if they might be OK for the 'finicky' Vcap line. I guess discharging them is no bother but if you are working on big caps it's "user beware".

Greg

paceman
Guru

Posted: 04:18am 30 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MOBI said   @paceman,
I am willing to have a go at the MM ESR project.

I had another read through GG's article using a function generator and CRO and I think it can be done using a MM and an op amp or two or even a function generator XR chip - if nothing else but for the sheer fun of it.
here

Hi David,
I hadn't read Geoff's "ESR project" piece - I think I'll have a look at those Rockby caps using his suggestion.

I think an ESR meter project (ESR + CAP even better) would be a good idea - and fun for someone capable (the latter's probably not me!). A lot of Maximiters won't have a 'scope so using Geoff's method is not on for them, even for only an occasional check. Also the commercial meters based on Don's link (above) are pretty expensive so not too many hobbyists are likely to buy one for only very occasional use.

I read Bob Parker's information from Don's link - that certainly has a lot of information. The 2004 Silicon Chip article mentioned in it would no doubt be pretty instructive but unfortunately I don't have copies going back that far.

Greg

OA47

Guru

Posted: 09:33pm 01 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

paceman said  
  Graeme Meager said  
Graeme

Hi Graeme,
Hmmm, I hadn't considered the power usage problem but I guess if you're only doing occasional checks in your "hobby workshop" on caps you have available it's not a big issue. I can see it would be a problem for a techie though.

My need is pretty limited, I just wanted to check some 10uF SMD caps I bought cheaply from Rockby to see if they might be OK for the 'finicky' Vcap line. I guess discharging them is no bother but if you are working on big caps it's "user beware".

Greg

One of the main requirements that I had in mind was an in-circuit tester so that the cap did not need to be unsoldered to be tested hence the need for portability and discharge protection.
Graeme

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024