Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 20:48 16 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Recommend a PCB Layout Tool for a newbie?

Page 1 of 4    
jdh2550

Posted: 04:04am 25 Oct 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just saw the DesignSpark thread... I'm interested in knowing what folks think is a good tool for a hobbyist such as me to learn for doing PCB layout?

I've been playing in the microcontroller space for a number of years now (you can blame Arduino for that!) I want to go to the "next level" and design my own peripherals/shields/add-ons whatever. So, what's a good tool for me to use? I'm not looking to become an expert - just a proficient amateur.

I was about to download Eagle, but now I see this option and I know there are others.

So, what do you all think? Some questions about each option:

1) Is it easy to use? (i.e. do tutorials exist, is it well supported by the community)
2) Is it useful? (i.e. can I output all the files needed for a 2 or 4 layer board that would satisfy a PCB service like BatchPCB)
3) What does it cost? (i.e. free is good - but if it ain't going to do what I need is "free" a false economy?)
4) What questions should I be asking?

Thanks!

p.s. I'm sure this question has been posed before but don't scold me for starting over - it's a perennial question!

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 04:57am 25 Oct 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Diptrace!
After download i was able to work with it within an hour.

Microblocks. Build with logic.

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 05:28am 25 Oct 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've tried Eagle and found it very clunky. Even after a LOT of effort.

I gave PCB ARTIST a try and it was very intuitive.

It is free. Go look at the page - you get a ton of features.
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

Greg Fordyce

Posted: 11:16am 25 Oct 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I found DesignSpark easy to use, it would be a good choice for starting out, but it doesn't/didn't run on linux so now I use Kicad and am happy with it aside from the built in gerber viewer. For that I use Gerbview from the gEDA suite, also a linux app. I didn't get on well with Eagle and haven't tried Diptrace or PCB Artist. Try a few different programs and see which one suits you best.

Greg

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 07:12pm 25 Oct 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've tried eagle and a few others but now I only use Sprint Layout. I do find it is the easiest to use and one doesn't need part no.s etc to design a pcb. Sprint Layout also has Gerber output for cnc milling etc and I found doing a sim with Kellyware CNC it replicated perfectly

Cheers Bryan.

Ray B

Posted: 03:47am 27 Oct 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PCB Artist looks simple but although it can produce schematics (in sch format) and auto routes PCBs into pcb format it seems to be primarily released by the USA company Advanced Circuits as a tool to design boards for their PCB manufacture & supply business. don't know if it can produce Gerber files etc like say Eagle.

Does not seem to have option to design single sided boards.

Cheers
RayB from Perth WA

Ray B

Posted: 04:51pm 27 Oct 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Further to my post below DipTrace & Eagle both provide excellent freeware downloads although slightly crippled in either the board size or number of pins BUT if your just wanting to trial the products this won't be a concern.

The following link will be interesting although a bit out of date and both DipTrace & Eagle now have upgrades.

View Poll Results: EAGLE or DipTrace? Read first post before voting
http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?128576-EAGLE-or-Di pTrace/page2&s=8a513c400503a5b4c275902768151391
RayB from Perth WA

isochronic
Guru

Posted: 07:04pm 27 Oct 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Initially I used expressPCB as it was very easy. But it is a
proprietary format, the idea being that expresspcb will make your
pcbs for you at a (expensive) price, and it is thus not a
general format. Now I use eagle which is more popular.
The differences I found were not trivial but the extra features make up
for the effort, as follows.
The eagle dip IC libraries have standard IC pads whereas expresspcb
has circles - much smaller - so if you have designed something cramped
in expresspcb you may have to expand it.
Eagle documentation gives the impression that you have to create a
schematic before the pcb - I agree its a good practice - but you
can easily bypass it and start a pcb layout anyway and this avoids
the need to create components etc. The trace styles have a snap-to-angle
feature which is great after you get the hang of it.
The free version has a pcb size limit. Most pcb makers can use the output
files. A flipped pcb can be printed easily for diy boards and there
is a pdf output as well.

elproducts

Posted: 06:39am 02 Nov 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

DipTrace seems to be popular but I haven't used it yet.

This company in California; Bay Area Circuits is offering a free version built from diptrace that is limited to 4 layers and requires you to buy the first round of boards from them but then you get the gerbers for free.
This is similar to ExpressPCB.com but you have to pay $60 to get the gerbers from ExpressPCB.

Here is the info they sent me.

PCB Creator - PCB Design Software

Is your PCB Design software out of date? Maybe you have a side project that you need simple and easy design software for?

The new PCB Creator is free pcb design software that will allow you to design up to a 4 layer PCB.

It is based on the professional version of the popular DipTrace software and retains many of the pro features. It is one of the easiest PCB Design packages available today.

You can use this for full feature PCB Designs for your company or maybe even for that side project you have been wanting to work on.

The software includes instant quote and order from Bay Area Circuits.

Visit our website to learn more and download it.

www.PCBCreator.com

www.elproducts.com

JakeStew

Posted: 12:51am 02 Dec 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Without a doubt Eagle is the most powerful and commonly used schematic and PCB program.

DesignSpark is also kind of interesting, but just didn't do what I needed.

If you're serious use Eagle. All the other programs I've tried (I've tried most of them) you end up running into something it just can't do and you end up wasting all that time for nothing.

That said, Eagle has a steep learning curve. The interface looks nice in many ways, but it is very clumsy in others. It's very hard to figure out, but once you do it's easily the best program out there, by far!

Read some guides. SparkFun has a good one. There are quite a few tweaks and ULPs you need to make things work well.

Simple things like cut-n-paste are done oddly in Eagle, you just have to learn these oddities and deal with them. Everybody uses Eagle, and despite the strange interface it is way more powerful than anything else out there.

-Jake

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 04:10am 02 Dec 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Jake, that is just one opinion.
For me eagle sukcs big time and i love diptrace.
Before you are any good in eagle, you already made 10 schematics and pcb's in diptrace.
For a beginner eagle is not really good, and from what i have heard eagle is not great for the bigger jobs.

Microblocks. Build with logic.

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 07:36am 02 Dec 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

"Without a doubt Eagle is the most powerful and commonly used schematic and PCB program."

"it's easily the best program out there, by far!"

"Everybody uses Eagle, and despite the strange interface it is way more powerful than anything else out there."

It is great that you have a strong opinion on the subject, but I just had to laugh at the absolutes that you state. Either you have very limited experience, or you think your opinion is fact.

I personally spent a lot of time learning Eagle to get a few small projects done. Once I started using it for anything other than simple designs I regretted the time I wasted on it.Edited by CircuitGizmos 2012-12-03
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

BobD

Guru

Posted: 09:46am 02 Dec 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Jake seems to be a troll. He has moved in as a first timer and hit several threads with similar opinions. He is probably best ignored.

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 12:27pm 02 Dec 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I will just add my two penneth worth here,

I use Protel 99se and if you have never used it before I recommend you STAY away from it.

It is too old so most new packages have to be created from the ground up..
It doesnt like WIndows 7 (cant open/save Libraries). There is a hack that sort of works.
It is Very Clumsy to use.

Why do I use it? Two reasons, My employer bought it, and still expects it to be used as our package (admittedly not used at work much except for re-doing old PCBs).
Also as I have been `elected' to be our official `Protel man' I have to keep my hand in.. If you dont use it for a year or so you basically have to re-learn all the idiosyncrasies of the program.

I mentioned this as a warning to look at other flavours if you are starting out..

Regards,

Mick

Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

OA47

Guru

Posted: 02:37pm 02 Dec 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mick,
I too have been using Protel for more years than I care to remember and have a few boards that I have to update occasionally so I have to get the brain around the program again. I do share your recomendations for new users to try something more recent and user friendly.

Regards
Graeme

palcal

Guru

Posted: 06:28pm 05 Dec 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've been using Circuit Wizard which is only a hobby tool. It doesn't rout well and the boards are always rather large with a lot of links and jumpers. I saw Diptrace mentioned and downloaded the free version. It can be rather complicated at first, but once I sorted out what I wanted it is fantastic. A hundred times better than what I was using. Thanks for mentioning it.

"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

elproducts

Posted: 03:23am 06 Dec 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here are some decent free software versions.

As I mentioned in a previous post. Bay Area Circuits offers a version of DIPTRACE called PCB Creator which is based on DIPTRACE (they must have bought a special license). They make you buy the first board from them so that's how they pay for the software.

DIPTRACE offers a MAC version (which is hard to find in PCB layout software) which I really like since I mostly use my iMac but PCB Creator doesn't offer it yet. I've downloaded the free version from diptrace to try out.

Another free software option is pad2pad.com they have a lot of decent board options including a thin flex board option. Again you have to buy the boards from them first.

For a true beginner, I still think the easiest to use is expresspcb.com.
This is the one I've used on most of my projects.
I started with the original Orcad PCB and Express PCB is very similar so it was an easy learning curve.

I typically only build a few sample boards so their 3 - two layer boards for $75 + shipping including silk screen and solder mask is a great deal.
You can leave off the silk screen and solder mask and get 3 boards for $51 + shipping.
Need a four layer board?
3 boards for $98 + shipping.

Shipping could be a problem outside USA. I've never had to test that.

They also offer higher volume pricing to save more but these are a bit more expensive than the typical send your gerber files out pricing you can get from China or anywhere else for that matter.
To get around that, you can buy the gerbers for $60 after you produced a board through them.

So I've ended up sticking with ExpressPCB for most of my designs since I mostly do prototypes.

For the beginner, I think the one advantage they offer, besides the low cost prototype options, is the click to send to manufacture.
As a beginner you don't have to know what gerber files are. Just build your board and then click to order.

There are definitely limitations to expresspcb so I will probably have to switch to diptrace in the future but a beginner will probably not notice right away and there are many workarounds. I also like that there is a large community of users who share custom component layouts. This has been a great resource.

www.elproducts.com

isochronic
Guru

Posted: 02:48pm 07 Dec 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A gripe I have about ExpressPCB is the high shipping charge to Aus.
The prototype pcb cost is reasonable I guess, but they charge >$50
extra, for three small pcbs, to ship !!! That makes them too
expensive here.

(edit) I can't believe shipping actually costs $50. In fact I bought
a small voltage standard sent via USpost, as I remember
the post charge was much less.

BTW It was sobering to see my cheapo multimeters' measurements
in comparison. (sob!) I can recommend www.voltagestandard.com,
as part of the purchase the standard is aged and calibrated, and at
low cost. I have no connection with them, just a customer.Edited by chronic 2012-12-09

vasi

Guru

Posted: 12:07am 08 Dec 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

palcal said  .. I saw Diptrace ... it is fantastic. A hundred times better than what I was using. Thanks for mentioning it.

Palcal, don't forget that you can contact the authors by email and ask for a key to extend the limit to 500 pads for free for non-commercial.

Vasi

P.S. Forgive me for the way I quoted your post

Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

muddy0409

Posted: 10:10am 08 Dec 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

http://www.futurlec.com.au/index.jsp

Can make boards with Express.
Very cheap compared to having them done by express themselves.
Delivery is also pretty good.
They are done in Thailand.

Don't poo poo conspiracy theories.
Remember that everything ever discovered started somewhere as a theory.

Page 1 of 4    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024