Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:33 03 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : New wireless module to the Dorji range

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 05:53pm 28 Nov 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dorji have released a new wireless module (DRF4463D20) to their excellent range of products.

http://dorji.com/docs/data/DRF4463D20.pdf

For some time now i have used the Dorji transceivers in all manner of projects with outstanding results.
They are a simple module to setup and use, but more importantly they just work so well direct out of the box.

My preferred modules are the DRF4432D20I range for simplicity and good range.

http://www.dorji.com/docs/data/DRF4432D20I.pdf

The DRF4432D20I is now stocked by Wiltronics here in Australia making access to them far easier than importing from China.
Dorji will deal direct but the shipping cost is a killer for small orders from Dorji direct.

http://www.wiltronics.com.au/catalogue/200178/picaxe-rf-dorj i-robots-kits/rf--dorji/dorji-gfsk_-fsk-ism-modules

Mark at Dorji is a very helpful person to deal with, and his English is of an Oxford standard, with a service that is better than the average local dealer around the corner.

They really make great products that work so well.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

mookster1

Posted: 01:21pm 29 Nov 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Agreed. From my experience, the Dorjis are certainly worth their weight in gold in terms of just how easy they are to use and how reliable they are!

One thing I noticed upon looking at the datasheets is that the maximum available power output is 20dBm. The maximum legal EIRP here in New Zealand (and I think Australia as well) is 13dBm (~25mW) so using them without changing their power settings could result in legal issues. Frustrating because you can't even put a gain antenna on the transmitter without exceeding this! Of course, if you've got a ham license I suppose there's nothing stopping you setting the modules to work in the 70cm ham radio band (these modules can tune from 410MHz-440MHz) and so you can happily use maximum output power and whatever antenna you choose without breaching that limit.

As an aside, I'm currently working on a radio project involving the Maximite and Dorji DRF7020D13-043A's, and I've managed to get valid packets 200m through dense buildings/concrete/trees etc. between two transceivers located indoors!
Capacitance is futile - roll on 2012!

BobD

Guru

Posted: 02:00pm 29 Nov 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Silicon Chip Nov 2012 P74 has a reader contribution in Circuit Notebook that utilises Dorji RF transceivers and a Mini Maximite for programmable remote controlled and timed switching. All ultimately controlled by a Sony compatible IR remote control. MMBasic programs included.

djuqa

Guru

Posted: 02:17pm 29 Nov 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

mookster1 said   if you've got a ham license I suppose there's nothing stopping you setting the modules to work in the 70cm ham radio band (these modules can tune from 410MHz-440MHz) and so you can happily use maximum output power and whatever antenna you choose without breaching that limit.

I think ACMA would still get upset if I pumped out 400W on that band
VK4MU MicroController Units

Ray B

Posted: 03:21pm 29 Nov 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Don't want to knock a local supplier, especially for commercial projects where some guarantee of supply & quality is essential BUT there are some alternatives out of China on ebay,
for example 2 x Wireless RF Transceiver Module 433Mhz CC1101 CC1100 for a total of US$5 - yes five bucks a pair. Coverage up to 300~500 meters in open areas.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320672194555?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619
Follow the link and complete documentation is available in english for comparison which some expert may want to compare to Dorji for the benifit of all readers.

Regards
RayB from Perth WA

BobD

Guru

Posted: 06:20pm 29 Nov 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ray, they might be $5 a pair but the shipping is $17+ and $14+ for extra sets in the same package. They look interesting. Bob

Ray B

Posted: 08:07pm 29 Nov 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

BobD the same CC1101 Texas Instruments chipset features on several boards out of China down to as low as $15 with free postage
e.g. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-Wireless-RF-Transceiver-Module- 433Mhz-CC1101-CC1100-/260915767551?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&has h=item3cbfcaa8ff-
Delay from experience from Mainland China may be 4 weeks whereas HongKong to Perth Australia is typically 2 weeks.
The chipset manual (106 page pdf) is downloadable from http://focus.ti.com.cn/cn/lit/ds/symlink/cc1101.pdf
Cheers
RayB from Perth WA

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 11:34pm 29 Nov 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The Wireless RF Transceiver Module 433Mhz CC1101 CC1100 look interesting and its a minefield of wireless modules out there on todays market.

The thing i like with Dorji modules is they just work so well and so simple to use, basically data out and data in without the need for any fancy pin control like SPI or I2C etc.

They do have more basic modules that permit these protocols, but on average all we want is to send data from A to B and vice versa, as easy and as simple as possible with reliable results.
After years of using many different modules the Dorji modules were kids play with excellent results every time.

As for power levels, well thats a well flogged horse on many forums where the Ham uses feel the need to advise the rest of the world of what we do wrong.

Bloody hell i can buy a 443mhz door bell from China and exceed the limit, in todays 443mhz clutter of the airways from door bells, garage door openers, car keyless entry, you name it its on the 443mhz range, and 1/2 dont always fit within the limit, so to talk down a product that the power level can be adjusted to suit on is crazy, if the user is too lazy to configure it, its not the products problem.

Horse for courses i think, you use what power is needed to reach the distance required within todays clutter.
If you are on farm and need 600M range then you most likely wont effect anyone else due to the location.
If you are in the city and want 20m range to open/close your gate then full power of the module is a little excessive.

Its nice to have the option of simply changing a power level on the computer screen prior to programming the module, rather then stuck with a poor module you have no options with.

Pete.

Sometimes it just works

mookster1

Posted: 03:25pm 30 Nov 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Downwind said   If you are on farm and need 600M range then you most likely wont effect anyone else due to the location.
If you are in the city and want 20m range to open/close your gate then full power of the module is a little excessive.

I definitely agree with you here; the reason I mentioned it is that while you won't necessarily affect other devices, especially if you're in a rural location, there's still rules and regulations in place that should be obeyed, and in the event you do interfere with someone else's equipment, there's probably less of a chance that you'll get in the schtook if your equipment complies. A bit of a shame really because the output power currently allowed on this band is very limiting, and there wouldn't probably be much harm done if it were increased. Just for the record, I'm not actually a ham (I do want to become one however), but I still think the rules are there for a reason. However, I definitely would be for them upping the maximum power on the 433MHz band though!Edited by mookster1 2012-12-02
Capacitance is futile - roll on 2012!

JakeStew

Posted: 12:10am 02 Dec 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There are a couple decent chip radios out there.

The TI CC1101 solution is OK. Their best solution is a 3 chip solution using their chip radio, a LNA, and a MCU.

SiLabs has a much better solution though in the Si1000 series chip radios with MCU. They've got the best specs by far. It's got the best specs out there with the cheapest and easiest board solution.

You can get this in a HopeRF module. It's a complete solution for about $5-10.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024