Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 03:25 04 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : 12 key pic based i2c keypad

MOBI
Guru

Posted: 12:48am 13 Dec 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi
Here is a 12 key ascii output i2c keypad. It is an easy way to get manual entry data into an i2c based system.

Hex data files for f88 and f819 are in the zip file. Also a roughish PCB layout. I only use expresspcb and can provide layouts in that format if need be. As I have said with the other i2c modules, my aim is at the hobby constructor who can do up a vero board module. Driving instructions are also in the zip.

2012-12-13_104601_12_key_keypad_i2c_.zip
David M.

muddy0409

Posted: 02:23pm 13 Dec 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Don't ya love it when it works first time! ???

Dunno, it's never happened!

Don't poo poo conspiracy theories.
Remember that everything ever discovered started somewhere as a theory.

MOBI
Guru

Posted: 02:52pm 13 Dec 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

[quote=muddy]Dunno, it's never happened! [/quote]

Keep working on it, it will happen but I admit, it is rare.

BTW did you find the G-code .exe file for converting expresspcb.dxf files to CNC driller gcodes? It was in one of my earlier zip files.

d.m.
David M.

muddy0409

Posted: 05:07pm 13 Dec 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, but from what I can see is that it is only a drilling method.
I was hopinmg it could mill a complete PCB, patterns, traces and all.
I do believe the DXF export in Express only exports outlines and hole locations?
At this stage I am still doing designs for millim=ng in Protel, which exports Gerbers that I can then convert to G-Code. It means I do the initial design on my laptop, in comfort in front of the air conditioner while watching TV and then go out to the hot old shed to re do it on the old PC ready for the milling process. Luckily Not everything I do is suitable for milling, IE most is double sided, so the sghipping off the Express to Futurlec for them to do is the easiest.

Don't poo poo conspiracy theories.
Remember that everything ever discovered started somewhere as a theory.

MOBI
Guru

Posted: 06:21pm 13 Dec 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

[quote=muddy]what I can see is that it is only a drilling method[/quote]

Yes, that is right because I only drill the boards that have been etched using expresspcb not routing of tracks etc because the etch does that for me.

I haven't examined the dxf file in too much detail to see what the rest of the functions do, only the circle (hole). As it is only a text file, it easy enough to read and run a conversion over. The programme would have to be written, but once again, it is not really rocket science, just "round tuit".

d.m.
David M.

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 09:53pm 13 Dec 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi MOBI,
I use Sprint Layout for all my pcb designs and have simulated the G-code output on KCam a few times with different designs and everytime the simulation came out spot on. My last pcb to etch and drill the manual way will be the PicStep PCB board for powering the Z-axis for my cnc. Then every other pcb from then on will done on the cnc.

Once I get the Z-axis machined up and mounted I'll revive my old cnc thread with some new pic's and it is my my goal this xmas to finally get it working.

Anyway if time allows this weekend I'll do your design in sprint layout and upload the g-code and drill files.

Cheers Bryan

MOBI
Guru

Posted: 12:55am 14 Dec 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

[quote=Bryan]Then every other pcb from then on will done on the cnc.
[/quote]

I gather then that you use the cnc in router mode to "etch" the tracks. Is it fine enough to allow for tracks to pass between IC pins and can it do small pads for smd?

Does the Sprint generate the g-code files? I know I could look it all up on the web, but I don't get too many people other than downwind to talk techo to. I tried for a couple of years to get an electronics hobby group going in my town but didn't get a nibble - or should that be nybble (let alone a byte)

I also gather it is the keypad that you are going to have a go at?

david m.
David M.

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 03:08am 14 Dec 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a keypad here i had spoken to David about, to adjust his firmware to suit, its a 16 key, stick on keypad, from China under $2.00

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3M-4x4-16-Key-Matrix-Membrane-Swi tch-Keypad-Keyboard-Slim-f-Arduino-AVR-PIC-ARM-/160776146959 ?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item256f01500f

This will help make this chip far cheaper to making a I2C keypad.
Its a lot easier to cut a slot for the cable to exit, than a rectangle for the moulded keypad to fit into, not to mention the more professional look it gives, and with a peal and stick attachment.

If you said $1.00 for the pic chip, $1.00 for cost of making a PCB, $2.00 for a 16 key keypad, that's a easy lot of keys for $0.25 a key, on a 2 wire bus.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 03:25am 14 Dec 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

[quote]Posted: 14 December 2012 at 3:07am | IP Logged

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

Yes, but from what I can see is that it is only a drilling method.
I was hopinmg it could mill a complete PCB, patterns, traces and all.
I do believe the DXF export in Express only exports outlines and hole locations?
At this stage I am still doing designs for millim=ng in Protel, which exports Gerbers that I can then convert to G-Code. It means I do the initial design on my laptop, in comfort in front of the air conditioner while watching TV and then go out to the hot old shed to re do it on the old PC ready for the milling process. Luckily Not everything I do is suitable for milling, IE most is double sided, so the sghipping off the Express to Futurlec for them to do is the easiest.

[/quote]

Have you read this......

http://www.thebackshed.com/windmill/articles/MakingPrintedCi rcuitBoards.asp

Its how both David and myself make circuit boards, and its so easy once you are set up compared to wasting 1kwh of firing a computer and cnc to do a simple PCB.

Davids given the important part, being the firmware, and you expect a cnc router PCB layout as well, considering the PCB design is small and basic, it would be good practice for yourself to duplicate it or wait for Brian to do it for you.

Pete.

Edited by Downwind 2012-12-15
Sometimes it just works

elproducts

Posted: 04:13am 14 Dec 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MOBI said  
BTW did you find the G-code .exe file for converting expresspcb.dxf files to CNC driller gcodes? It was in one of my earlier zip files.

I searched your posts and couldn't find this .zip.
I use expressPCB often and would like to use your converter.
Could post it again?
www.elproducts.com

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 05:01am 14 Dec 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

In further review the Gcode file for the PCB was not included in the zip file.

Sometimes it just works

MOBI
Guru

Posted: 12:00pm 14 Dec 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

[quote=elproducts]I searched your posts and couldn't find this .zip.
I use expressPCB often and would like to use your converter.
Could post it again?[/quote]

[quote]PCB software question[/quote]

The zip file is in the Electronics topics under pcb software question. I haven't worked out how to link to that yet.

It ony produces coordinates for the drill holes but that is all that pete and I need. It does put in a few pre and post drill g codes for speed and drill depth etc. It is only an old Pascal .exe file and needs to be copied to the folder that you have the pcb.dxf file in.

If you still can't find it, give me a yell and I'll re post it.

david.m
David M.

MOBI
Guru

Posted: 12:02pm 14 Dec 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Pete, did you want me to see if I can adapt the membrane keypad to my hex key i2c picf88? (or rather adapt the firmware)

d.m
David M.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024