Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:30 04 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Pickit3

palcal

Guru

Posted: 09:39pm 17 Dec 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just got a Pickit3 programmer to program one of the latest chips. I have always used Pickit2 and it was so easy. Can someone run me through how to load a hex file into my chip. I have read everything looked on Utube etc. I run Mplab and open the hex file. I select Pickit3 and the chip I'm using,and set the power on from the USB. I am using my old Pickit2 Zif socket to hold the chip and have connected a 10K resistor from Mclr to Vdd. All looks OK on the screen so I hit program and nothing happens.

Palcal.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 10:22pm 17 Dec 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Palcal,

It has been a little while since I have done it but the basic idea is. (I Use MPLAB v8.87)

Select the PICkit3, then select the device to program, then IMPORT the hex file (from file menu)

When you say Power from USB do you mean PK3 supply the power or the target device to be powered as usual? I havent been able to get the PK3 to supply enough power to program an MM so I always leave the supply power to target unchecked.

regards,

Mick

Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

palcal

Guru

Posted: 10:56pm 17 Dec 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Bigmick I was opening the file using File/Open in a new project instead of File/Import onto the Output Screen. Now OK and best of all the project worked first time.

Palcal.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024