Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:48 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : OT: Rare Earth Magnets banned?

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 04:55pm 23 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all.

This is a little OT, but I read in today's paper that Rare Earth Magnets have been banned in Australia and the United States, but here in NZ, we have warnings on them.

According to the article, some small children have been killed or injured from these magnets - then they failed to say how.

So, how is that even possible?

While getting in the path of two(or more!) REM's coming together could be a painful experience for your fingers(yes, I have done it!), it is certainly not life threatening.

Painful yes, but not life threatening.

So, can one of you Australian or United States memebers here, tell me why they are banned in your country, so I can try to understand how it is even possible to seriously injure or kill youself from use of a REM...
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 05:01pm 23 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

News to me. I dont think you can ban rare earth magnets, they are everywhere in our daily lives, especially in computer hardware.

Maybe there is a ban on using them in children toys.

A swallowed rare earth magnet can be a very serious problem.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

James_From_Canb

Posted: 05:15pm 23 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have this picture in my mind of a small child swallowing a couple of them and getting stuck to the fridge....
My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.

Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles (1974)

djuqa

Guru

Posted: 05:18pm 23 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said   Hi all.

This is a little OT, but I read in today's paper that Rare Earth Magnets have been banned in Australia and the United States, but here in NZ, we have warnings on them.
Also banned in NZ from today.
It is the so-called "buckyballs" that have been banned. They are indeed life threatening as a 18 month old child has recently died from ingesting them.

Piece useless trivia
Neodymium is called a "Rare Earth" element, but is as common as Lead or Tin.
Gold is approx. 20 times rarer.
Edited by djuqa 2013-01-25
VK4MU MicroController Units

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 05:39pm 23 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  
According to the article, some small children have been killed or injured from these magnets - then they failed to say how.

So, how is that even possible?

Hi Groggy,

The injuries are when they are swallowed... If they swallow two REMs, some time apart, They could end up in different parts of the intestine where they then attract and clamp together until the intestine ruptures and they suffer severe trauma as a result from the acids being released into the abdomen...(there is a term for this that I cant at this stage remember)

Hope this clarifies a bit

Mick

Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

boss

Posted: 06:48pm 23 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,

bureaucrats interfere with our life more and and more. The guns are dangerous the thousand other things are dangerous. Yes, life is dangerous. Bureaucrats will save us. They banned bulbs, mercury medical thermometer, setup the carbon tax. Fortunatelly not banned in Canada, the Edison bulbs are back and mercury thermometer as well.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 08:07pm 23 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks guys, especially bigmik for the medial data.
Yes, if swallowed, I could see that being an issue.

Still - what about PARENT RESPONSIBILITY? (rhetorical)

Parents need to keep an eye on their kids, and make sure that they don't friggin' swallow magnets. Why should the rest of us have to change our lives to protect a handful of negligent parents?

As Blackadder put it: "Forgive me if I am being thicker then the offspring of a village idiot and a TV weather girl..."

djuqa

Guru

Posted: 08:08pm 23 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  

As Blackadder put it: "Forgive me if I am being thicker then the offspring of a village idiot and a TV weather girl..."

That is no way to talk about Tony Abbott.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 08:10pm 23 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

graynomad

Posted: 02:50am 24 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

So what was the bottom line, are they banned or is it just some toys or whatever?
Rob Gray, AKA the Graynomad, www.robgray.com

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 10:54am 24 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well, the bottom line(to paraphrase you a little) as I understand things, is that the toys are to no longer be available, nor will you be able to buy REM's at the likes of Jaycar or Element14 for example.

As for a total ban, that is impossible, or no hard-drive in the world will work in our countries!!!

Frankly, if I ever want an REM, I will always strip an old HDD for some. Two in each drive, usually mounted on a nice steel backplate complete with holes so you can screw or bolt the magnet to your project. And totally free, having been pulled from an old HDD, whereas to buy the REM's is quite expensive.

I have a whole box of those HDD REM's, but on a high shelf, and I would have the sense to not feed them to any kids.

powerednut

Posted: 12:19pm 24 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I always thought buckyballs were carbon (C60) - how is that magnetic?

djuqa

Guru

Posted: 12:23pm 24 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

powerednut said   I always thought buckyballs were carbon (C60) - how is that magnetic?
You are correct about fullerene (C60).
However Buckyballs are also a brandname of the Magnetic toys
Buckyballs MagnetsEdited by djuqa 2013-01-25

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:29pm 24 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Perhaps they ate the contents of the cassette? (a C60 cassette tape)

jebz

Posted: 01:04pm 24 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

In most cases the ban on Rare Earth Magnets shouldn't effect the use in many of the forum members projects.

Magnets supplied for industrial or commercial use, which are not marketed or supplied as be the below, are not banned. The ban only applies where the specified magnets are marketed by the supplier as, or supplied for use as any of the following:

a toy, game or puzzle (including but not limited to an adult desk toy, an educational toy or game, a toy, game or puzzle for mental stimulation or stress relief)
a construction or modelling kit
jewellery to be worn in or around the mouth or nose.

For example, a magnet that is being supplied as a component for a washing machine (which is a consumer good) would not be banned because it is not marketed or supplied as a toy, game or puzzle, a construction or modelling kit, or jewellery to be worn around the mouth or nose.

http://www.productsafety.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/9 97700/fromItemId/997517

graynomad

Posted: 01:22pm 24 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank goodness for that, I use them a lot.
Rob Gray, AKA the Graynomad, www.robgray.com

Privatteer

Posted: 06:19pm 24 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Anyone had an order since these bans came into effect?
Ordered some 3mmx5mm cylinders for a project from 2 different suppliers and both never arrived.

BobD

Guru

Posted: 06:28pm 24 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Jaycar is one place still selling them. If they couldn't sell them I think they would delist them very quickly.
http://search.jaycar.com.au/search?w=strong%20magnets

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024