Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:44 18 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Stop Outlook blocking .BAS and .BAT files

James_From_Canb

Posted: 01:46pm 24 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Microsoft Outlook can be a bit annoying at times. It insists on blocking attachments that are sent to me with a .BAS and .BAT file extension. I could live with it if it offered a warning like "The attachment is like a program and could do damage to your system if you run it. Are you really sure you want to open or save the attachment?", or gave me an option to enable a warning like that. But Outlook doesn't. It just blocks the attachment so I have no way of accessing it. Up until now I've asked people to resend the file/s as a .zip file but that's an imposition on the sender. So off to do a little Google searching....

If you want to modify the list of file extensions that are blocked by Outlook you can use this program. Alternately, if you don't like running programs that change the registry, the same site has a page with a list of registry entries you can modify yourself.

James
My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.

Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles (1974)

MOBI
Guru

Posted: 02:10pm 24 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Downwind and I often exchange .exe etc files and get around the problem (we use Mozillla) by changing the file extension to something like .eze which gets through no problems. The receiving end changes the file back to .exe or what ever and every thing is hunky dory!
Edited by MOBI 2013-01-26
David M.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 02:57pm 24 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have the same sort of problem with my email gateway at my ISP. It blocks many Office documents like Excel files. The bummer is I dont get any notification, the email is just deleted before it even arives at my computer. Its good to have the extra safety, but I've missed some important emails.

I just ask the sender to zip the file. Its easy and also reduces the file size, so people like me on limited data dont need to worry as much about exceeding our monthly limit.

The email protocol was never designed to send files. Its a plain text only format, 7 bit ascii, but some bright spark worked out how to convert any file into a 7 bit format that will get sent along with the email. Now all email clients do this conversion on the fly, seamlessley, but the converted file is often much bigger than the original file your sending.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

MOBI
Guru

Posted: 03:50pm 24 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

gizmo said  I just ask the sender to zip the file.

The zip file trick doesn't always work on every platform. I don't remember if it was something belong google, but even .exe files in a zip folder through Gmail were blocked and I thought zip was a fail safe vehicle.
David M.

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 08:53pm 24 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It is a pity but most programs are trending to expect dumber behavior from users, and i think they are right.
Every year it seems less questions are asked and just done.
It probably is because most people, and i have seen a few in my circles, don't even read the popups and just click them away as quickly as possible because they interrupt their 'flow'.
Even if it is a warning.
Then everyone starts complaining windows is prone to viruses etc, and then programs get changed.
The choice to prevent all of it is good for most as people who are a little more smart with computers can go around it by changing names.

Microblocks. Build with logic.

James_From_Canb

Posted: 11:54pm 24 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That's why I'd prefer an Advanced Setting that allows me to decide whether to save or open the attachment. If I accept that option, I'm taking full responsibility, and I'm not passing the burden back to the email originators.

James
My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.

Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles (1974)

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024