Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 01:58 19 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Maximite color: bug & some suggestions

Juri74

Posted: 06:49am 28 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello all, i don't know where to report bugs so i write it down here..
i'm using UBW32 mounted on UBW32-MCC-PCB..
all is working very well and i'm fully satisfied about my color maximite :)

here the bug: after switch on the maximite color type 0 (zero) and hit enter or type NEW if there is something in memory then the 0 trick.. i waited a lot of time to report this because sometime could be very useful to have a reset command, maybe should be inserted in the command list (example RESET or RESTART)

for your information: the command PIN(0)=0 turn the UBW32-MCC-PCB led1 "power" led OFF... (it also turn off the yellow LED3 on UBW32)

Suggestions:
a MODE 0 command that disable completely the screen freeing max memory until the board is resetted
a MODE 5,x,y that should be like mode 3 but with size of screen user selectable (like MODE 5,320,200) and consequently a MODE 6,x,y (like the mode 4 resolution with the possibility to give the screen size)

i do not know if it could be done but it should be very useful when driving little size monitors with maximite

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 07:23am 28 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

"MODE 0 command that disable completely the screen freeing max memory until the board is reset"

I think that there is validity in that request.

As to the other screen resolutions, I think that the effort would outweigh the gain even if it could be done.
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 12:16pm 28 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CircuitGizmos said   "MODE 0 command that disable completely the screen freeing max memory until the board is reset"

I think that there is validity in that request.

As to the other screen resolutions, I think that the effort would outweigh the gain even if it could be done.

Isn't that what CONFIG VIDEO OFF | ON is for?

The timing problems with different video resolutions would be prohibitive.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 12:20pm 28 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CONFIG VIDEO OFF stops PRINT from appearing on the VGA output (still via USB/serial console). It doers not free up memory.

PRINT "Hello World"
CONFIG VIDEO OFF
PRINT "This is a secret message"

The VGA screen will only show the hello world message.

Edited to note: Only when done as a program i.e. when RUN. Doesn't work in immediate mode. Edited by CircuitGizmos 2013-01-29
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

Juri74

Posted: 11:18pm 28 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

"config video off" is a permanet configuration, it write the configuration in internal eeprom, even if the color maximite is resetted.. try to cycle power after the config video off command.. ;)Edited by Juri74 2013-01-30

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 10:25pm 29 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Juri74 said  here the bug: after switch on the maximite color type 0 (zero) and hit enter or type NEW if there is something in memory then the 0 trick.

Thanks, you have found a bug (it causes the interpreter to crash). Although it reminds me of the patient who complained that it hurt when he laughed and the doctor replied "Well don't laugh".

Juri74 said  Suggestions:
a MODE 0 command that disable completely the screen freeing max memory until the board is resetted
a MODE 5,x,y that should be like mode 3 but with size of screen user selectable (like MODE 5,320,200) and consequently a MODE 6,x,y (like the mode 4 resolution with the possibility to give the screen size)

MODE 0 is a neat idea. I will have a look at it but it might be difficult to dynamically deallocate the video due to the way that MMBasic manages memory - this is why the CONFIG VIDEO OFF is used to disable the video, it can be checked at start up, before the memory is allocated.

Sorry, you cannot change the video resolution as you suggested. To quote from the FAQ on my website:
  Quote  The current resolution is fixed by the PIC32 hardware, it is not a design decision. Video is generated by (mis)using the SPI interface on the PIC32 chip and that is limited in the clock speeds that it can use - and that in turn determines the number of pixels on the screen. Remember, the whole Maximite is contained in a single chip costing under $10, it is amazing that it can be coaxed into generating VGA video in the first place.

GeoffEdited by Geoffg 2013-01-31
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

ajkw

Posted: 10:56pm 29 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Whilst on unexpected behavior (bugs),

Should a Print@(a,b) change the last draw position for line -(x,y)?

eg
cls
Line (0,0)-(200,0)
Print@(0,20)"TEST"
Line -(200,20)

The second line command draws from 0,32 to 200,20 (32 is 20 + font height of 12)

Perhaps correct but I would have thought that the second line would be from 200,0

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 11:39pm 29 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

ajkw said  Should a Print@(a,b) change the last draw position for line -(x,y)?

Yes, that is the correct behaviour because the PRINT command is essentially another graphics command (it draws the letters on video memory). But, given your example, I can see why it could be confusing.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

Juri74

Posted: 11:54am 30 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoffg said  MODE 0 is a neat idea. I will have a look at it but it might be difficult to dynamically deallocate the video due to the way that MMBasic manages memory - this is why the CONFIG VIDEO OFF is used to disable the video, it can be checked at start up, before the memory is allocated.
Geoff

with video off the speed of maximite increase, if the problem is deallocating video ram, do not do it, leave it allocated. maybe instead a "mode 0" command, a set of "suspend video on/off" commands to disable the video output and re-enable it with the last video mode used... could be more easy to implement? or at very least, to gain some memory a mode 4 could be triggered before entering in "suspended video output" then return back to the original state after exiting from it :)

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024