Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 03:27 19 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Maximite - 80’s flashback

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 02:08pm 29 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Greetings All!

A couple of weeks ago I received my CGColorMax1. (Note the missing 'u' - as a Canadian, I sure like seeing colour spelled with a 'u'. ;-) What fun! The CircuitGizmos version needs a component or two soldered on, which calls to mind the Apple 1 from the 70's.

The board powered up fine although the USB/PS2 adapter wouldn't physically fit beside the vga plug so I had to root around a bit for a PS/2 keyboard. Had to try a few SD/MMC cards to find one that worked fine. But how totally cool! Works like a charm.

The CGColorMax1 comes with both a screw terminal and barrel jack for the power in connection. I decided to mount both by trimming the screw terminal leads so they don't pass through the board and then soldering it to the bottom side. Then I soldered the barrel jack to the top side.

I can understand the comments about the surface mount VGA and PS/2 jacks. I really hope they get changed to through hole components with the next spin of the PCB. Let the user solder them in if costs are a problem.

A power switch was easy to add - just replace the power jumper with a 2 pin header from a scrapped PC with a switch on the other end.

Today at work I set up a PC to flash the latest version of the firmware. Again, went without any problem one .NET 2.0 was installed. I looked at the MMIDE for the first time too, which also worked fine.

Some minor comments about the Beginning Maximite (begmax.pdf) document from CircuitGizmos.
- Hopefully the CGColorMax1 circuit diagram will appear at some point. Some details are not obvious from the start. (For example, the serial hardware isn't actually connected to the PIC32.)
- I think it would be nice if Figure 70 showed which was pin 1. I've since discovered that figure 71 shows what I wanted to know.
- I wonder if the interfacing examples for the CGMMSTICK at the beginning could be replicated for the CGColorMax1, perhaps with each set of examples in a separate chapter.
- Is there documentation showing the soldering required for the CGColorMax1? Those new to the concept of soldering your own computer might appreciate simple instructions.

All in all, I am very impressed with how the whole kit works. Two thumbs up! If I had more thumbs, they would all be up!

I've attached a picture of my 4 year old son working on the CGColorMax. At first I thought he was writing a web browser for it but when I looked more closely, I saw he was just typing random garbage. But you never know. He has though learned to type 'RUN' <ENTER> to get a program to run. Pretty good. I think I was driving before I learned that.

Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 02:53pm 29 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That is a great post! Thank you for all of the kind words.

Quote  The board powered up fine although the USB/PS2 adapter wouldn't physically fit beside the vga plug

Yes, space is rather tight along the back of the board.

Quote   then soldering it to the bottom side. Then I soldered the barrel jack to the top side.

That is a smart move!

Quote  I can understand the comments about the surface mount VGA and PS/2 jacks.

The VGA jack is changing. PS/2 will stay the same (it loosens up after initial use.)

Quote  , the serial hardware isn't actually connected to the PIC32.

Next version of the document I clear that up.

Quote  - I think it would be nice if Figure 70 showed which was pin 1. I've since discovered that figure 71 shows what I wanted to know.

Good suggestion.

Quote  - I wonder if the interfacing examples for the CGMMSTICK at the beginning could be replicated for the CGColorMax1, perhaps with each set of examples in a separate chapter.

Another good suggestion.

Quote  - Is there documentation showing the soldering required for the CGColorMax1? Those new to the concept of soldering your own computer might appreciate simple instructions.

Also good! I will be adding these suggestions to my to-do list.

Thanks again for the kind words!

Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:11am 30 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes indeed, it is very scary how close to the 80's home computers, the MM is.
Especially now that it is in colour!

The B/W one was an excellent toy, and reminded me of a Sinclair ZX81 on steroids, but the colour one is so much better, and the MMBASIC language sees constant updates and bug-fixes, which means it gets better all the time too.

Oh yeah, and us Kiwi's in New Zealand also spell colour with the u!!! Edited by Grogster 2013-01-31
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 04:56am 30 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm careful to refer to the original Geoff Graham design as the "Colour Maximite".

Perhaps when I ship orders of CGCOLORMAX boards I should include an extra U in the box for people to solder to the side of the R.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 05:08am 30 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CircuitGizmos said  Perhaps when I ship orders of CGCOLORMAX boards I should include an extra U in the box for people to solder to the side of the R.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 10:45am 30 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CircuitGizmos said  
Perhaps when I ship orders of CGCOLORMAX boards I should include an extra U in the box for people to solder to the side of the R.

Is it a surface mount `U' ??

Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 10:48am 30 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said  
  CircuitGizmos said  

Is it a surface mount `U' ??

U is through-hole.

u is surface mount.

MOBI
Guru

Posted: 11:32am 30 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

All this talk of "U"s is making me feel "sheepish"
David M.

BobD

Guru

Posted: 04:36pm 30 Jan 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MOBI said   All this talk of "U"s is making me feel "sheepish"

All I can say is Baaaaaaah

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024