Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:42 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MM Edit for James_from_Cran

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 02:54pm 05 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

James,
Your mail box is full so I couldn't reply direct.

MM Edit does remove leading and trailing spaces on each line when you transfer your program from the Edit window onto your Maximite.
It does not remove blank lines. There is an option to do that.
With the new interest in formatted code (something that I like), I will have to reconsider that behavior.

If you transfer your code using MM File which uses Xmodem, the formatting will be retained.

Mixing code with line numbers and code without tends to confuse MM Edit. It is preferable to remove line numbers from your code before combining code portions.
MM Edit looks at the first line and does some thing differently depending on the line starting with a number or not.

I am not sure how MM Basic handles error reporting with mixed line numbers and without.

When chatting with the MM, if you want to type in the main screen area, switch to VT mode which is the same as TeraTerm. ASCII mode is preferable for transferring code because it is much faster - it uses the AUTO command instead of EDIT.
You can switch between the modes as required.

I could not find any reference to "Close #8" anywhere in your program (I may not have the latest version), so I suspect that there was corruption during the transfer. In Configure, you may need to increase the "Line delay"

Jim

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

James_From_Canb

Posted: 03:18pm 05 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK. Thanks Jim. Inbox messages reduced, so back to PMs.

To those with an interest, the reason I've got a mix of code with and without linenumbers is:

It's a good test for the RENUM.BAS program

It's easier to insert new chunks of code between line numbered code if you avoid line numbers. You don't have to worry about keeping the new line numbers in order . I've been careful about that since I reported a possible bug with MMBasic and found it was my fault. I'd duplicated a line number. Once bitten, twice shy....

James
My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.

Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles (1974)

shoebuckle

Posted: 12:22am 06 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

James,
I must admit I haven't tried your MMEdit yet (hang my head in shame) but just tried to download it without success to my Win7 laptop. I successfully downloaded MMEdit_setup.exe but when I run it I get a Windows error message saying that "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or drive. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Is there some trick to downloading it?

Cheers,
Hugh

BobD

Guru

Posted: 12:27am 06 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The file is probably "Blocked". Right click it and select properties, select the General tab then click on Unblock and Apply. Try that. It's a security measure.

edit
If the file is not blocked then you will not see the Unblock button.Edited by BobD 2013-03-07

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 10:44am 06 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

shoebuckle said   James,
I must admit I haven't tried your MMEdit yet (hang my head in shame) but just tried to download it without success to my Win7 laptop. I successfully downloaded MMEdit_setup.exe but when I run it I get a Windows error message saying that "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or drive. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Is there some trick to downloading it?

Cheers,
Hugh

Windows 7 32 or 64 bit should have no problems installing or running with the default settings.

However, some manufacturers got a bit keen with the security settings so you might have to run the installer as administrator. (Right click and choose 'run as administrator')

If it is s security setting, you may then have a non-continuable protection violation when you run MM Edit.

A non-continuable protection violation is Windows' way of protecting us from rouge software and to make life difficult for program developers.

Visa made the setting too tight but they relaxed things a bit for Windows7.

My W7 has the default setting and all is well but some PC suppliers had things set tight.

You can either change your settings or install MMedit into a folder that is NOT in 'Program Files'

Please check you DEP settings and if is not set to essential Windows programs only, that is the problem. If you want to leave it set for all programs you can add MMedit as an exception or go the other folder method.

The easiest way to find DEP is to search Windows Help for DEP.

DEP stands for Data Execution Prevention.

I did add a "manifest" which is supposed to stop this from happening but as you have seen, Windows wins the battle some times.

Jim

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

shoebuckle

Posted: 07:54pm 06 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

BobD said   The file is probably "Blocked". Right click it and select properties, select the General tab then click on Unblock and Apply. Try that. It's a security measure.

edit
If the file is not blocked then you will not see the Unblock button.

@BobD
Thanks. It was blocked. Brilliant program. I love it already and I should have been using it yonks ago.

@TassyJim
Questions:
1. Can I connect to Maximite using USB? If so, how? Perhaps you have a User Guide somewhere.
2. Having toggled off the Indent Guides, they don't come back on when I press again; only if I close MMEdit and open it again. Is this a known problem?
3. What are the rules for displaying the indent guides. Not all are shown.

I can see why I don't need to write the Variables List program. You have it covered very nicely.

Cheers,
HughEdited by shoebuckle 2013-03-08

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 10:32am 07 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

shoebuckle said  
@TassyJim
Questions:
1. Can I connect to Maximite using USB? If so, how? Perhaps you have a User Guide somewhere.
2. Having toggled off the Indent Guides, they don't come back on when I press again; only if I close MMEdit and open it again. Is this a known problem?
3. What are the rules for displaying the indent guides. Not all are shown.

I can see why I don't need to write the Variables List program. You have it covered very nicely.

Cheers,
Hugh

You connect to the Maximite the same way as you would for TeraTerm etc.
The driver and instructions are available from Geoff's web site.
http://geoffg.net/maximite.html

Direct link to the file:
http://geoffg.net/Downloads/Maximite/Silicon_Chip_USB_Serial _Port_Driver.zip
The Maximite drivers create a serial port and in the MM Edit configure window, you set the port number. MM Edit does a reasonable job of listing the likely port numbers.

There does seem to be a problem with indent guides. Something for me to have a look at!

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024