Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:00 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MM Edit update

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 08:35pm 07 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This update fixes the problem with indent guides - they now toggle as intended. (The problem was already fixed in this release without me knowing that there had been a problem)

MM Edit now remembers the settings for things like indent guides and line numbers etc between sessions.

The program now opens with the last file loaded. (This will become optional eventually)

A few more keyboard shortcuts have been implemented:
^O Open a file
^N New file
^S Save
^F or ^H Find/Replace
^G Goto line number
^L Delete line
Most of the standard editing shortcuts were already functional.

Available from the usual place:
http://www.c-com.com.au/MMedit.htm

The help file has not been updated yet. It needs a serious re-write.

Jim

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

paceman
Guru

Posted: 01:34pm 08 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jim,
Downloaded the new update and am having a problem with it opening with an error message of:

"53 OS Error: The system cannot find the specified file."

I guess it's because of the new auto-open last file feature, because when I bring up the list of recent files using FILES/RECENT..., each file is now truncated at the front by a few characters.
It's not stopping the rest working but I use the "Recent Files" feature quite a bit.
Thanks for keeping it all going though - it's a great program.

Greg

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 04:24pm 08 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Greg,

I intend to silently drop that error when the last file is not available on startup.

I didn't change the 'recent file' code but the error you are getting is because of a problem with the first file in the recent list as you suspected.

How long is the full path to the file?
Are you using a network share? UNC names that start with '\\' can cause a problem.
You can browse to the file and open it OK but I am unable to store the path. (A problem with Liberty Basic, not me)

If so, you can do as I have done and mapped my network share to a drive letter.

The recent file list displays the right most 48 characters of the file path\name but it does store the full path. 128 characters is the limit.(A problem with Liberty Basic, not me)

You can check the file "MRU.INF" in the data folder to see if the full paths are there.
The data folder can be found from HELP/ABOUT

Jim

There is a bug that prevents you from changing the help file menus. (I left a file out of the distribution). That will be fixed soon but I will try to sort out your problem first.

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

paceman
Guru

Posted: 07:46pm 08 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jim,
The last file used was:

C:\Documents and Settings\Greg Yaxley\Desktop\pwmpulse.bas

That's 46 characters to (and including) the final back-slash, plus 12 more for the filename with extension - rats! I can't be sure now, (since loading your latest MM Edit version), but I think the full path+file displayed correctly with the earlier version. I checked, and as you say, it is stored correctly in "MRU.INF" and I can navigate to it still so no big problem, but it's a convenient feature.

How do you map to a local folder - e.g. the one above. I can find the network folder mapping facility (and have done that before several times for my NAS drive), but I can't see anywhere how to map a "C:" drive folder. BTW I'm using Win XP(Home).

Greg

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 10:15pm 08 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Greg,
I couldn't replicate the error you are having on my XP machine.
The next thing to try is deleting MRU.inf in case there is a strange character in the file name.

I have just uploaded a new version of MM Edit but I don't think it will make any difference to your problem.
It will no longer give an error when it can't open a file from the Recent file list and if the first file in the list fails, MM Edit will open with a blank file.

I have also changed the way the File Manager works. Now you select files with a single click instead of a double click.
You will also have to confirm deletion of folders.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

paceman
Guru

Posted: 01:32am 09 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jim,
I deleted MRU.inf and installed the update. It opened without the error and with a blank file as you said - I then opened a file and then hit "NEW". Then went to FILE/RECENT and it displayed a truncated 48 character filename again. I left it loaded and checked for MRU.inf but it wasn't created at that point.

I then unloaded MM EDit and checked for MRU.inf and it then had been created, and the filename was fully there. I reloaded MM Edit and it fired up nicely with the last file used. I checked FILES/RECENT and it displayed truncated files again but when clicking on the truncated file it opens correctly.

It seems to be working fine now, it's just not displaying the full filename, only the 48 characters due to Liberty Basic's limitation as you said - but it opens it correctly when you click on it.

Do you know if I can map a local "C:" drive folder so as to limit the number of characters required. If not, it's no big problem because apart from that it's all working nicely.

Greg Edited by paceman 2013-03-10

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 10:17am 09 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

paceman said   Hi Jim,

It seems to be working fine now, it's just not displaying the full filename, only the 48 characters due to Liberty Basic's limitation as you said - but it opens it correctly when you click on it.

Do you know if I can map a local "C:" drive folder so as to limit the number of characters required. If not, it's no big problem because apart from that it's all working nicely.

Greg

The 48 character display is my doing. I worked on the theory that you only need to see the last bit to know which file you are getting. The full 128 characters would make for a very wide menu.

128 characters should be enough.....
If not this might help:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-map-a-local-windows-fold er-to-a-drive-letter/

Glad it's all working

JimEdited by TassyJim 2013-03-10
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

paceman
Guru

Posted: 02:55pm 09 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jim,
Installed that little "Visual Substitute" program and it works brilliantly! It's easy and quick to add/remove/change letters and a dropdown box to see what your assigned path is in case you forget. Thanks for the link. The FILE/RECENT box in MM Edit is now showing the whole path - albeit a lot shorter one.
Greg

centrex

Guru

Posted: 02:22pm 10 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi TassyJim

Nothing to do with MM, did you ever complete the caravan, solar panel power monitor you mentioned in another post some time ago.
Most interested to see the results.
Cheers.
Cliff

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 10:27am 11 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

centrex said   Hi TassyJim

Nothing to do with MM, did you ever complete the caravan, solar panel power monitor you mentioned in another post some time ago.
Most interested to see the results.
Cheers.

Like all projects, they are never COMPLETED.

I am working on the caravan at the moment. The DC monitoring is in and I will have more done this week.
The next trip will give me something useful to play with.

Jim

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024