Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:55 09 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MMEdit problem

wizged

Posted: 11:42am 16 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a strange problem with MMEdit that I'm hoping someone can help with. The problem is that MMEdit seems to become unstable after a certain number of keystrokes are entered and the symptom is that the Ctrl key then invokes a random command, but most often the command is "New" or "Find".

For example:

1. Run MMEdit
2. Open a new file
3. Enter some lines of text (about 20 lines of a few characters each seems to be enough)
4. Press Ctrl (no other key, just Ctrl)
5. Random window then pops up. Usually this window is the "Oops don't you really want to save this before pressing New" or the Find/Replace window
6. Cancelling the popup then returns MMEdit to normal, but entering another 20 lines or so of text followed by Ctrl triggers the same problem again

I'm running Windows 7 64bit, MMEdit v3.2.6. I'm pretty sure the problem was present on prior MMEdit versions as well but I'm using it more seriously now and its becoming a real pain. Otherwise, MMEdit is very cool so I'm hoping there is an answer.

Any ideas?

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 12:17pm 16 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It is a problem I am aware of are have spent a lot of time trying to solve.
I did not realise that it re-occurred after the initial startup problems.

I could stop it by giving up on using keyboard shortcuts but I don't want to do that.

I might be able to change the shortcuts from Ctrl to Alt but then they would not be 'standard' and that would p....s users off.

Could you live with Alt instead of Ctrl?

I can probably make it a configure option until I solve the main problem.

Jim

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 02:05pm 16 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Could you try this version and see if it has made a difference.
I have put a long delay in the key checking routine and it also checks that the same key is still pressed a while later before acting on the key.

This makes Ctrl keys rather sluggish but if it does fix the false triggering it is a start and I can reduce the delays to something workable.

The response of normal keys has not been altered, only the Ctrl combo.

Extract the mmedit.tkn file from this zip and replace the one in the program folder.

2013-03-17_000150_MMedit.zip

The only other changes are a few visual changes to the menus so you know if the option is set.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

wizged

Posted: 04:34pm 16 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Jim, I wasn't expecting a solution so quickly but it certainly looks like the new file has done the trick. Zero problems so far and I haven't noticed any change in the key response time either.

I hope to give it a more decent bash later today so will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again - very much appreciated

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 04:48pm 16 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That's good news.

There is an extra 200mS delay in processing the Ctrl keys so a fast typist might get caught.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

wizged

Posted: 09:47pm 26 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've been using MMEdit quite a bit since my last post with virtually no issues so from a practical perspective I'd say the Ctrl problem is now very close to fixed and certainly a huge improvement over the unpatched version.

I think I have had 1 or 2 random/strange things happen in that time but nothing that I can really put my finger on or reproduce. So, possibly there are some circumstances that the new 200mS delay doesn't fix, or perhaps some new minor negative effects introduced by it, but if they exist at all they're very minor and nothing that I can't live with.

Thanks again Jim

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024