Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:40 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Tech Time Warp of the Week

donmck

Guru

Posted: 12:46pm 22 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

check out the video:

Tech Time Warp of the Week: Arthur C. Clarke Predicts the Internet, 1974
http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/03/tech-time-warp- arthur-c-clarke/

Don...
https://www.32v8.com/1

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 12:52pm 22 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Donny,

Isn't that me as a little kid on the chair with you the bald old bugger standing next to me? ...

Smile I am in sunny Mildura... off to the pool and another pina-colada.

MickEdited by bigmik 2013-03-23
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 09:53pm 22 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It's interesting it's now an online video but of course those sorts of predictions had been made for many years before 1974 (often in science fiction).

Vannevar Bush springs to mind but is only one of many. I'm sure any half-way competent person who was aware of the sizes of equipment using (say) thermionic valves then relays then transistors would have predicted similarly so there must have been hundreds or thousands who said it (but probably never published it).

I can recall jawing with engineers about 30 years ago about where continuing advances in RAM, disks, CPUs etc would lead. Didn't everyone do the same? Aren't you now?

We didn't foresee the almost end of space flight, though :(

haha.this brings back when Ken Olsen (of DEC) said why would anyone want a computer at home! My fellow engineers were all laughing at him and saying "we would". About then I had a CP/M system running WordStar on an 8" floppy using a backplane and daughter boards with a hefty PSU sprawling all across a window sill that my wife wrote her lectures etc on. It had 64KB RAM eventually. (Must have been early 1980s I suppose.)

JohnEdited by JohnS 2013-03-24

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024