Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:00 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : smart use for smart meters

BobD

Guru

Posted: 12:59pm 27 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The city of Santa Clara in California has found an additional use for smart meters. See the story in the Australian here. This could certainly make the use of smart meters less painful.

Note the Australian runs a paywall for some stories but I don't think this one is restricted. Let me know if it is and I will try something else.

muddy0409

Posted: 01:48pm 27 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Boy, you can just see some blood sucking lawyer and accountant working out how to make money at that over here in Oz. Assuming it is available on the type of meters that are used here?

Don't poo poo conspiracy theories.
Remember that everything ever discovered started somewhere as a theory.

donmck

Guru

Posted: 08:37pm 27 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think the key words in the article are:

in Santa Clara, a city of 118,000 in the heart of the Silicon Valley, they (the meter system) also have an unusual separate channel that provides free, outdoor internet.

I doubt if this system is echoed here.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Don...
https://www.32v8.com/1

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 09:05pm 27 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I suppose I'm one of the lucky ones that will NEVER have a smart meter attached to our place unless those monkeys that govern our state come up with a hair brained plan to TAX RE input on off grid properties. Now when one want to put in a bore one HAS to buy a meter at great cost then pay for the water they use and farmers with big dams are forced to buy meters(at a cost of 2K or more) then pay more than town water rates for use of that dam water.

As far as WIFI goes out in the country fine if one lives on a flood plain with no hills around for miles but here most times for me just to get a mobile signal I need to walk 1/2 way up the hill. I suppose with the net I'm sorta lucky as I do have the NBN sat and in less than 2 years will have atleast a 25/6 Mbit down/upload speed and allowance comparable with city plans.

Well with state govts going broke or already are theres NOWAY any free wifi or any other internet will ever be in Oz.

They do say there are 2 things in life

Death and Taxs

Well with Death atleast it's over the the one who starts pushing up daisies but the tax doesn't stop there for family.

With Tax's I'm sure I read a few years ago an employed person pays around 89% in overall tax.

- income tax
- fuel
- everything else that one can buy

I'd hate to think what that figure is today.......

Cheers Bryan

muddy0409

Posted: 01:11pm 28 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

We have just relocated from Pilbara to NSW western plains.
The missus is making noises about going over to solar power and grid connecting. Seems to be a good idea, BUT I just wonder how long the gov't will let people have some revenue from selling excess power to the grid, without taxing said revenue?

Not too long, I bet.

So I (personally) am leaning towards not grid connecting.

BobD

Guru

Posted: 01:21pm 28 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Did you escape before the cyclone hit?

I seem to recall that there was a statement about sales of excess power some time back. It was confirmed that it wouldn't be taxed. Can anyone else verify this? Mind you, if the current government think of it again it could be a target.

TinkersALot

Posted: 05:54pm 28 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bryan1 said  
With Tax's I'm sure I read a few years ago an employed person pays around 89% in overall tax.

curious...how much of this do the Windsors get (if any)?

paceman
Guru

Posted: 07:01pm 28 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

muddy0409 said   We have just relocated from Pilbara to NSW western plains.
The missus is making noises about going over to solar power and grid connecting. Seems to be a good idea, BUT I just wonder how long the gov't will let people have some revenue from selling excess power to the grid, without taxing said revenue?
Doubt they'll tax power you put back in Muddy but they won't need to because they'll sure minimise the feed-in tariff you'll get; it's already down to pretty much wholesale (i.e. major generator) prices - and the NSW government is one of the major generators. Not bad when you think about it - you put the capital in and generate the power and they sell it back to you at exorbitant retail rates. Just as well the price of solar modules and installation has come down dramatically or we'd have no hope of stopping the world frying!

BTW - I saw that tornado Bob mentioned when I was driving back to Melbourne from Sydney a week ago - it was pretty spectacular. We had to stop on the Hume while the emergency teams cut up the big trees it smashed and dropped on the road - pretty fierce. We could see the big funnel and lightning coming down from a dirty dark grey cloud a few kilometers away - just like the USA mid-west. Just as well we weren't there a bit earlier.Edited by paceman 2013-03-30

muddy0409

Posted: 01:56pm 29 Mar 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

BobD said   Did you escape before the cyclone hit?

Cyclone, Schmyclone...
I left thinking cyclones were a figmant of someone's imagination...
We moved up there over the weekend of the Geelong AFL win in 2007.
Arrived in Port Hedland a month after Cyclone George hit the area, but missed all the excitement.
The boss had warned us before we moved up that we "would be blown off the map by a cyclone one day."
We left in March, having been delayed by the latest cyclone. We had to evacvuate our house in Port Hedland because of the threat. Well that one did a left turn before it hit us and moved north a hundred k's and hit pretty much nothing but bush.
It turned out to be a fizzer like all the other ones over the last 5 years (from our point of view anyway), so all in all I have still not seen one up close.

I don't mean to make light of anything anyone else has suffered from these things, but I do believe the media makes a damn sight more of them than they actually are.

I note from the weather map that there could be another one brewing this week, but it's too damn far to drive to see it first hand.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024