Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:00 09 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : wide screen composite video for mmbasic

bobo2

Posted: 03:19am 07 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,
This is my first post.
I used the duinomite with MMBasic with CAN bus commands to create a monitor for the Think City EV.
While writing the code I used a big 24" screen, and I just got 4.3", wide screen monitor with composite input.
Now when running my program I notice a big black margin to the left and some unused space on top, bottom and right of the screen. While researching how to solve this and use the whole 4.3" of the monitor, I came accross an info on a SETUP command that would allow ntsc 480 for wide screen monitors, and even custom parameters for supporting monitors. Unfortunatelly this command is not available in MMBasic.

Any idea what can I do to rectify this apart from flashing to dmbasic and rewriting my program?

Here is a shaky video of my monitor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGLrYa-sBYk

Nikolay

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 12:38pm 07 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You should be able to set the monitor to stretch the display to fill the full width.
You can then create a font of the right aspect ratio to look OK on the stretched display.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

bobo2

Posted: 09:38am 08 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Jim,
There are no exposed controls for the monitor, so it will be hard to adjust the display.
I can see the display blink several times the first time it gets connected to the duinomite, so I imagine the display is trying to figure out what the signal is and adjust to it.
I may try to flash the duinomite with the dmbasic and see how this setup command works and if I can adjust is so it fills up the screen.

paceman
Guru

Posted: 10:07pm 09 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There is currently a fault when displaying composite with the Colour Maximite - it shows up as an offset of the display to the right. Geoff has already said he will be looking into it after his return from the USA in about three weeks. Don't forget to use the CONFIG COMPOSITE PAL (or NTSC) command - see below.

paceman said  
  Geoffg said   Has anyone had composite video working on the Colour Maximite or clones without this shift?
I tested it OK in the early days but something might have broken with subsequent firmware versions. I am overseas at this time so it will be a little over a month before I can test the current version.
Geoff

I can't get my CGCOLORMAX1 to output composite correctly either - it's unreadable and is shifted halfway across the screen.
Is there something else that needs doing, besides making up the cable, to get composite on the CGCOLORMAX1? Greg

paceman said  
  Geoffg said   The only other thing is to turn on the composite with CONFIG COMPOSITE PAL but there seems to be a bug there which I need to chase down.
Geoff
Thanks Geoff - the CONFIG COMPOSITE PAL has fixed the "unreadable" part of my problem.
Greg

Geoffg said  
  paceman said  the CONFIG COMPOSITE PAL has fixed the "unreadable" part of my problem - I don't remember having to declare that with the original mono Maximite.

You did not (and still do not) need this with the mono Maximite but I found that too many VGA monitors grounded pin 9 on the VGA connector, which forced the Colour Maximite into composite mode when it was not wanted.
So now you need CONFIG COMPOSITE PAL (or CONFIG COMPOSITE NTSC) on the Colour Maximite to turn on sensing of pin 9 and to set the timing. You can go back to VGA only if you need to with CONFIG COMPOSITE DISABLED.
Geoff

bobo2

Posted: 08:33am 10 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks paceman!
Very interesting info. Looking forward to a fix!

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024