Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 03:39 09 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : (DM) mini suspect start

Page 1 of 2    
plover

Guru

Posted: 03:08am 18 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am new here, so my chances of making blunders are reasonably high but I am sure I will find out.

I have just tried to start a DuinoMite-mini board, connected the USB cable, lights on looking fine.

Using PCLinuxOS and have Minicom 2.3 installed. After setting up Minicom to use the USB port I do get a response but it seems not right:

Welcome to minicom 2.3

OPTIONS: I18n
Compiled on Jan 19 2010, 16:29:37.
Port /dev/ttyACM0

Press CTRL-A Z for help on special keys

Maximite BASIC Version 2.7
Copyright 2011 Geoff Graham
Maximite BASIC Version 2.7
Olimex
>ite BASIC Version 2.7
Olimex Po
> AT S7=45 S0=0 L1 V1 X4 &c1 E1 Q0
>

I am a bit rusty on BASIC and comms programs but it seems not right, like trying to repeat 3 times, missing part of message ??

Any guidance where to go from here?

donmck

Guru

Posted: 09:28am 18 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Try updating your firmware.

Cheers Don...
https://www.32v8.com/1

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 12:16am 19 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Strange to see AT commands there!

John

panky

Guru

Posted: 12:42am 19 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi plover,

Try setting tx delay to 50ms - looks like there may be some repitition.
Cheers, Doug.

PS. I have used putty under mint cinnamon 14 ok but had to set up the delays by hand ( as geoff advises for terraterm in windows - see mmb users guide annexes).

... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

plover

Guru

Posted: 04:16am 19 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

When I saw donmck answer, then expected I really was in trouble.

Here is a link to Olimex forum fitting partly to my problem. Trouble in DM 2.7.

https://www.olimex.com/forum/index.php?topic=163.0

JohnS

Yep, when I saw AT coomands my hair stood up, I have a bit of an allergy to those streams and wondered what on earth modem commands had to do with this. Thinking perhaps minicom is set up wrong, it is not my best known program, but I could not see anything obvious in the setup.

panky
Yes I vaguely remember something about delays, will need to look closer at that after installing MMB v4.3.

In general I do remember using the VGA and keyboard many months ago on this system and it seemed correct from memory. Now however I want to run from USB serial port and it is here there is a problem.

The link described solutions but I do not know how to figure out if Olimex did take them on board. Mention of Github made me jittery but perhaps there one can find a later DM Basic then ver 2.7

To me it does not really matter what Basic is running so I am planning to install MMBasic4.3 hoping there is no problem here.

So I will follow donmck suggestion for the moment. I have the required files but would have liked to test the updating under PCLinuxOS but at the moment libhid is not in the repo so I have asked for this to be provided.

In the mean time I may have a go with Windows XP as I also downloaded driver for this procedure. Probably happen over the weekend.

mookster1

Posted: 02:50am 20 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Minicom is set up to talk to modems by default (hence all those horrible AT commands!) The DuinoMite sees those commands as keyboard input, so echoes them on the screen. There's a whole lot of settings to do with modem init strings hidden somewhere in the settings (I can't remember exactly where; I haven't used Minicom in about 6 months but I remember having the same problem.)

Here's a site with information on how to configure minicom not to use modem config strings: http://elinux.org/Minicom

Hope this helps :)
Capacitance is futile - roll on 2012!

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 03:46am 20 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I use
screen
which doesn't send AT commands :)

try screen -L /dev/ttyACM0 for example.

John

plover

Guru

Posted: 04:12am 20 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

mookster1
Thanks for link, something in the back of my mind was saying surely something could be changed in setup if it is a general comms program.

I have tried to add the 3 recommended lines to the config file and it did have an effect, now I get nothing when I connect, apart from > and the blinker.

Looking closer at the configuration option I should be able to come up with a simple AT sequence, nothing or zero does not seem to make it.

I also just tried gtkterm another very simple terminal program, when specifying the port this behaved similar, directly into DMBasic 2.3 but it works because quick use of the print statement gave appropriate response.

However now I need to find the exit statement from basic, shows how much I know. End, quit, exit is no no.

JohnS
I am also a fan of screen but it seems to be a bit too powerful for me I often get wound up in experimenting with what it can do so I had better let it rest right now.

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 05:21am 20 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

END is what you use to show a running BAS program has ended. You'd go back from it to a > prompt. At that prompt there's nowhere else to go (you're not running DMBasic inside a separate OS with its own prompt). You can't exit from DMBasic to (say) a bootloader prompt. (You get into that mode on reset on many Olimex boards.)

If you like to think of this way, DMBasic (or MMBasic) includes the OS and the > prompt is what shows you're in the outermost part. From there you can input a program or use one of the various commands that do something immediately (rather than being stored ready to be RUN) then return to another > prompt.

I've glanced at various of the PDFs (Geoff's, and Beginning Maximite and whatever) and I think this is fairly well explained if you grab the PDFs and read and read and read.

JohnEdited by JohnS 2013-04-21

plover

Guru

Posted: 08:47pm 20 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnS
Thank you very much, very good explanation. I started to realise that as you describe it, there is nowhere to go when you are at the > level.

I am starting to navigate around in all the information that is available and get my head around Olimex cards and the Maximites, I have started the first read round .

Further about the terminal program, Minicom after a bit of sweating at the very last minute when I had worked out a method of stopping the modem initialization strings I found out that probaly the command would have been

minicom -o -p ttyACM0

Well I came to it the long way by getting into the Modem and Dialling page via ctl+A, O then move down to Modem and Dialling, the page is

Quote   +--------------------[Modem and dialing parameter setup]---------------------+
| |
O| A - Init string ......... |
C| B - Reset string ........ |
P| C - Dialing prefix #1.... |
| D - Dialing suffix #1.... |
| E - Dialing prefix #2.... |
| F - Dialing suffix #2.... |
D| G - Dialing prefix #3.... |
C| H - Dialing suffix #3.... |
| I - Connect string ...... CONNECT |
>| J - No connect strings .. NO CARRIER BUSY |
| NO DIALTONE VOICE |
| K - Hang-up string ...... ~~+++~~ATH^M |
| L - Dial cancel string .. ^M |
| |
| M - Dial time ........... 45 Q - Auto bps detect ..... No |
| N - Delay before redial . 2 R - Modem has DCD line .. Yes |
| O - Number of tries ..... 10 S - Status line shows ... DTE speed |
| P - DTR drop time (0=no). 1 T - Multi-line untag .... No |
| |
| Change which setting? (Return or Esc to exit) |
+----------------------------------------------------------- -----------------+

The following lines need to be empty

Quote  O| A - Init string ......... |
C| B - Reset string ........ |
P| C - Dialing prefix #1.... |
| D - Dialing suffix #1.... |
| E - Dialing prefix #2.... |
| F - Dialing suffix #2.... |
D| G - Dialing prefix #3.... |
C| H - Dialing suffix #3....

Then Minicom seems to do the expected thing. I can no longer test on the DMBasic v 2.7 it has been replaced with MMBasic v 3.2A

When calling Minicom I now get:

Welcome to minicom 2.3

OPTIONS: I18n
Compiled on Jan 19 2010, 16:29:37.
Port /dev/ttyACM0

Press CTRL-A Z for help on special keys

DuinoMite MMBasic Version 3.2A
Copyright 2011, 2012 Geoff Graham

To install MMBasic 3.2A I had to go back to use Win XP as my PCLinuxOS repo has not yet added "libhid".

gtkterm terminal program also works fine except goes directly into Basic, I will see, just for fun, if I can find out why the two lines does not show up perhaps it is just too simple.

Edit:
The program does work when adding the suggested delay previously mentioned.

[gert@localhost ~]$ gtkterm -p /dev/ttyACM0 -d 50

The result:

>

It does intrigue me with the double message, almost as if local echo is on. Ahhh well.Edited by plover 2013-06-05

plover

Guru

Posted: 05:51pm 03 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ok I have been sidetracked a bit with various jobs. One of which has been a big revamp of my PCLinuxOS system, was getting out of hand. I picked up on a way to get better management of multiple instances.

During this time PCLinuxOS got KDE64 a 64bit version out and I noticed that libhid and mphidflash were available in repository.

I installed those two as I had just finished placing another DuinoMite board on a baseplate ready for a bit testing. What should have been a very short experiment installing a new BASIC interpreter turned into a marathon.

First my USB extension cable had moved out about 2mm in the socket in the back of the computer, just then decided to not to make connection, this took a while to figure out why the card would not register in lsusb

[gert@localhost 130419-DuinoMite_MMBasic43]$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0bc2:3000 Seagate RSS LLC
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 192f:0416 Avago Technologies, Pte.
[gert@localhost 130419-DuinoMite_MMBasic43]$ < -------------no card plugged in

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 15ba:0033 Olimex Ltd. < ------------line is added when card is plugged in
[gert@localhost ~]$

Handy to know the values: ID 15ba:0033 Olimex Ltd

From then on I thought "a walk in the park" oh yes but with detours

I got really fooled by seeing an error message like:

[gert@localhost 130206-libhid]$ mphidflash -v 15BA -p 0032 –n -w DuinoMite_MMBasic_V4.3A.hex
mphidflash Error: Command not recognized
[gert@localhost 130206-libhid]$

Searching I found following:

http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4831&PN =4

Well that sent me on a goose chase, right into the source code of mphidflash where I did find the error messages I had seen. So I knew that mphidflash was trying.

I had previously confirmed that mphidflash seemed fine:

[gert@localhost ~]$ mphidflash -?
mphidflash v1.3: a Microchip HID Bootloader utility
Option Description Default
------------------------------------------------------------ -------------
-w <file> Write hex file to device (will erase first) None
-e Erase device code space (implicit if -w) No erase
-r Reset device on program exit No reset
-n No verify after write Verify on
-u Unlock configuration memory before erase/write Config locked
-v <hex> USB device vendor ID 04d8
-p <hex> USB device product ID 003c
-h or -? Help
[gert@localhost ~]$

first when I started deleting options on the command line statement did I catch the culprit: –n is not the same as -n you will notice the first instance the - is longer, just a little bit.

Replacing this with the proper - and the program went singing or should I say dotting. Lots of dots. It worked.

[gert@localhost 130206-libhid]$ mphidflash -w MMBasic_V4.3A.hex -v 15ba -p 0032 -n
USB HID device found: 512000 bytes free
Erasing...
Writing hex file 'MMBasic_V4.3A.hex':

Just to saver the moment I repeated trying to add the option -r, reseting the micro, this also worked, the lights stopped flashing, went to green/yellow steady

[gert@localhost 130206-libhid]$ mphidflash -w MMBasic_V4.3A.hex -v 15ba -p 0032 -n -r
USB HID device found: 512000 bytes free
Erasing...
Writing hex file 'MMBasic_V4.3A.hex':
............................................................ ..............
Resetting device...

As I had started in a newly installed KDE64 system I only had gtkterm available but a bit of configuring helped. Needed to set up the ttyACM0 but then the terminal now shows:

DuinoMite MMBasic Version 4.3A
Copyright 2011-2013 Geoff Graham

> DuinoMite MMBasic Version 4.3A
Copyright 2011-2013 Geoff Graham

>

I have not figured out how to ensure that only one repeat of the "logo" occurs, I assume there should only be one?

Edited by plover 2013-06-05

plover

Guru

Posted: 05:06am 05 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Boy, I have been away for too long from Basic. Took me quite a while to figure out how to use the terminal. Following I have entered and saved in a file and want to use EDIT to correct it. I can LOAD the file and then EDIT and see following

10 'LISING OF QHAT COULD BE DONE'
20 'AUTO this seems to be the starter
30 'Have used line numbers bit should not be needed
Dim adATA(10,10,10) ' IS A SPACE NEEDED
AData(3, 5, 8) = 1234.5
Print AData(3, 5, 8)
100 SetPin 15, 8 ' pin 15 is a digital output
110 SetPin 16, 7, 500 ' pin 16 is a digital input with interrupt code at line
120 Do
130 main processing loop (your main program would go in here)140 LOOP140 LOOP
140 Loop

ESC:Exit F1:Save F2:Run F3:Find F4:Mark F5:Paste Ln: 12 Col: 1 INS

As you can see just random bits I have typed to get a feeling. I have edited out 3 lines and want to save the listing again.

I can't, I expected that hitting F1 would save "last filename" in the LOAD command but I am just met with:

Exit and discard all changes (Y/N): OP

Litterally copied from my gtkterm output. No option to supply a file name either.

If I say yes, I leave the editor.

I have tried to save the file immediately when getting back to the system prompt, but I still get the original content.

Time to call the cavalry.

I must be missing something when wanting to save. Anyone got a bit of spare time to enlighten me?

I am not using a micro SD card yet but system seems to default to using B: or the card, I thought that A: was default?
Edited by plover 2013-06-06

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 05:14am 05 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

At a guess F1 is being turned into an ESCape sequence then sent by gtkterm.

How you stop that and instead have it send some funny code meaning F1 I don't know.

John

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 11:19am 05 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You can use control sequences instead of function keys. For example, Control-Q will do the same thing as F1. This is documented on page 7 of the MMBasic Language Manual.

BTW If you launched the editor without a file name then hitting the F1 key will save the program to RAM - not to a file - because you are editing RAM, not a file.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

plover

Guru

Posted: 05:22pm 05 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks both. I have a problem. The terminal does respond but it seems to be wrong. Just well enough to make me think it was working. When I checked the control functions it was clear something is wrong. It does have limited configuration and probably not VT100 compatible.

I am working a new KDE 64 bit environment and have limited communications programs at the moment. I am going to drop back to 32 bit where I have Minicom available and see how that performs.
Edited by plover 2013-06-07

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 07:41pm 05 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Try the command
screen
like screen /dev/ttyACM0 xxx
where xxx is the baud rate

It's not going to be VT100 as "everything" is seen from a PC view point now.

You probably know you can always build any of the various terminal emulators if there isn't a prebuilt one. You know:
get source
unpack (untar / unzip / unrar)
cd (where you put it)
./configure if needed
make
sudo make install

Almost every command is built the same way, for those who're not used to Linux.

JohnEdited by JohnS 2013-06-07

plover

Guru

Posted: 02:19am 06 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnS
I am a beginner in Linux and pushing my limit. A couple of times I have been tinkering with what you have suggested. Since I have settled on PCLinuxOS I am finding that it is better to make a packet request and see if it is accepted. Probability good if request is for open source programs.

I understand what you are saying but not just yet

Screen is available and I have been using it some time ago, it is very powerful but I don't think I will need it here though. Actually I will go back to KDE64 version (have dropped back to KDE32 because Minicom is here, and I had just been educating myself a bit on its use) and check if screen is already in the repo.

General
My recent exploits after some hard slogging is now starting to come together I hope. I am aiming to be able to transfer files back and forth between the Olimex DuinoMite and attached pc and using the USB connection.

I am now running the KDE32 bit with MiniCom comms software and getting to know it better. I think I have some problem with making the first connection to the Micro board. I was doing some MiniCom configuration and suddenly the serial port ttyACM0 blocks and Linux changes to /dev/ttyACM1, so I have to reconfigure Minicom. A bit over my head. I have found a solution for the time being, quick MiniCom reconfigure to ttyACM1 and then send a Break and the Board responds correctly.

With the connection seemingly working properly my next confusion was trying to get the EDIT command to work. It turned out that I can not run with a terminal window size less than 36 lines. Well I can but it produces a rollover effect which in combination with the terminal buffer set a 1000 lines certainly got me confused for while.

Increasing the terminal height seems to have taken care of this problem for the time being. By the way the terminal is running as VT102 and I think from memory many years ago this was close enough to VT100 for general purpose but I do no longer remember the difference.

It seems that to save from EDIT mode I must use ctl-Q, F1 wants to leave without saving.

At this stage I had been saving to RAM and getting a bit sick of this being non default drive, meaning I needed to remember the DRIVE specifier "B:" so I went hunting for how to change this.

Eventually I found that:

[code]DRIVE "A:"[/code]

set the RAM as default, saving me a bit of typing. I have deliberately wanted to run without the micro SD card for the learning phase.

At this stage It seems I only needed to figure out the file transfer procedure. Well MiniCom has a number of options, Xmodem included. I configured the Linux directory where I would like to store the "traffic" for the time being.

>
files
FZ1.BAS
FZ3.BAS
FZ4.BAS
SUB1.BAS
SUB2.BAS
5 files, 171192 bytes free
> xmodem send "sub1.bas"

Then ctl-a,z,r in MiniCom terminal and enter sub1.bas file, and it should be found in /home/gert/Music (Music conveniently empty in my Linux system, will change it later). It is there when checking.

+----------[xmodem download - Press CTRL-C to quit]-----------+
| |
|rx: ready to receive sub.1.bas |
|Bytes received: 256 BPS:253 |
| |
|Transfer complete |
| |
| READY: press any key to continue... |
+----------------------------------------------------------- --+

I have added the details for anyone who might be looking for help in this area. MiniCom is probably not the easiest program.

So far it does look like the MMBasic is standing up well in the PCLinuxOS environment.

My next quick check will be to load a temperature reading program I found here on Forum somewhere. I am interested in reading/logging multiple sensors per input pin, say ten per pin. The results will be sent to micro SD card. Probably be dealt with for graphing purpose on the desktop where I would have access to spreadsheet for a bit of heavy lifting.

plover

Guru

Posted: 06:41pm 06 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Back in KDE32 and using MiniCom the aim is to transfer a big file.

http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4476&PN =0&TPN=2

In this topic I have copied the the program, copy/paste and saved it as mtemp.BAS in the /home/gert/Music which is configured in MiniCom to be 'traffic' folder. Meaning that when I come to send the file and select Xmodem, the file is there almost ready to go. (limitted time before xmodem on the Olimex board terminates so I have to be quick).

First I start xmodem on Olimex board

> xmodem receive "a:mtemp.BAS"

Then ctl+a,z,s to get comms started in MiniCom

+-----------[xmodem upload - Press CTRL-C to quit]------------+
|Retry 0: NAK on sector |
|Retry 0: NAK on sector |
|Retry 0: Retry Count Exceeded |
| |
|Transfer incomplete |
| |
| READY: press any key to continue... |
+----------------------------------------------------------- --+

As you can see it is not successful NAK = No Acknowledgement I think this means, I think I saw that 7 sectors were transferred before it fails on Retry.

In MMBasic I now see:

> xmodem receive "a:mtemp.BAS"
Error: Cancelled by remote
xmodem receive "a:mtemp.BAS"

Back to the manual I think and see about configurations. Edited by plover 2013-06-08

panky

Guru

Posted: 08:31pm 06 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gert,

In Minicom, go thru the menu system as follows

Ctrl A then Z to get to the setup menu
O to get to configuration menu
toggle down to screen and keyboard and hit enter
M to edit macros
1 to select the F1 key
then enter ^Q (two characters to represent Ctrl Q) then enter
Enter again to exit the macro screen
Enter again to exit Screen and Keyboard menu
then toggle dow to Save setup as ... (I used MM)
then toggle down to exit to get out.

You will now be able to use F1 from the MM Edit screen to save your file.

F1 Ctrl-Q F2 Ctrl-W F3 Ctrl-R ShiftF3 Ctrl-G F4 Ctrl-T F5 Ctrl-Y can be similarly programmed for the other F keys.

Cheers, Doug.

PS. This was tested on PCLinuxOS 32 bit and the latest Minicom.

Edit:

PPS. If you set Minicom to full screen mode you will have no problems with screen size or wraparound. Doug.
Edited by panky 2013-06-08
... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

plover

Guru

Posted: 08:42pm 06 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No not much about xmodem parameters in the manual. I bit of googling came up with an interesting bit of information. Different micro system all together but similar problem with NAK it seems.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/an y-x-y-zmodem-supporting-terminal-to-transfer-files-via-rs-23 2-port-574074/

This is where I found that xmodem may have some tweak spots.

xmodem : 00000001 1
xmodem_one_nak : 00000000 0
xmodem_initial_timeout : 000493e0 300000
xmodem_timeout : 000f4240 1000000

I don't know if above is important.

I have changed baudrate up and down, same problem.

I have taken off hardware handshake and software control

Whenever I change the baudrate, I do get a nice bit of feedback in the form of a repeat of the start logo. So the USB channel is open it seems.

Each attempt to download from the PC also tells me approximately the right size of the file, 4.4 KB as seen in Dolphin. A character count in my editor shows 4528 bytes. I think I am close.

By the way I have no problem transferring from the micro board to the pc using xmodem.

I am now tempted to try and get Terraterm to run under Wine and see what I get with that.

Edited by plover 2013-06-08

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024