Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:25 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MM Edit update 3.3.1

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 04:21pm 24 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have uploaded a new version of MMedit to my website.

Bugfixes:
Saving preferences improved.
MM Chat window had a few problems remembering which mode it was it.
Code formatting works better on multi-statement lines

New:
Updated the SciLexer.dll to ver 3.3.0.0
Code formatting now works on lines with numbers.
Removing formatting now works on lines with numbers.
Option to Scroll text in VTmode implemented - This is VERY slow.
Exiting the FIND dialog now leaves the last found text selected.
Syntax help updated with new commands.

Help file now lists the keyboard shortcuts - there are over 70 of them.

Thanks to those who have suggested improvements and found bugs (and told me about them).

Jim

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

shoebuckle

Posted: 08:54pm 25 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Jim,
Thanks for the fix to the Find command. It doesn't always start with Ctrl+F but the menu bar icon always works. Is this something you have noticed?

Under Win7 on my laptop I have found that I need to "install as administrator" to successfully install it. Is this to be expected?

Cheers,
Hugh

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 10:09pm 25 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I was having problems with some of the keyboard shortcuts randomly activating.
The only way I could stop that happening was to make the guilty ones rather sluggish.
Not good but better than random activity.
The other shortcuts affected are the file operations Ctrl+G (goto) and Alt+O (Format)

Running as administrator to install is fairly typical. It depends on your particular settings and I am not willing to play with security settings. AS long as it runs as a normal user once installed, I am happy.

Jim

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

shoebuckle

Posted: 02:15am 27 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Jim,
I notice that you highlight LINE$ in blue. LINE is certainly a reserved word but I don't think LINE$ is. Certainly it can be used as a variable.

I have only just started using MMEdit and find it fantastic. Congratulations. Keep up the good work.
Cheers,
Hugh

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 11:31am 27 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

shoebuckle said   Jim,
I notice that you highlight LINE$ in blue. LINE is certainly a reserved word but I don't think LINE$ is. Certainly it can be used as a variable.

Cheers,
Hugh

That is true for all reserved words.
The system used for detecting 'words' does not handle '$' very well so I had to go with all or none.

The opening bracket '(' is treated the same way.
Keyword highlighting is all done by Scintilla and I have limited control over it.

If you select a word by double clicking it, the word without any trailing $ or ( is highlighted. If you highlight the word with the $, Help correctly differentiates between the two. That is an area which I do have control over.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

paceman
Guru

Posted: 08:59pm 27 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

shoebuckle said   Jim,
I have only just started using MMEdit and find it fantastic. Congratulations. Keep up the good work.
Hugh

Yes, I agree - it certainly speeds things up and useful all 'round - and that's quite a list of shortcuts you've put in Jim - I reckon I'll remember about ten of them! No doubt another timesaver for those who use more than two fingers on the keyboard though

There's something happening on my system currently that's a bit odd and started, I think, back one or two releases ago. When I list the files in the chat window and then click on the scroll bar it often does an unintentional "select" of several of the files. After I clear the "select" (by just the usual click in the chat window) and then I try to make it happen again it doesn't seem to do it. It might be a speed related thing because my notepad is an eight year old XP system.

Greg

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 09:11pm 27 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

paceman said   - and that's quite a list of shortcuts you've put in Jim - I reckon I'll remember about ten of them! No doubt another timesaver for those who use more than two fingers on the keyboard though

Greg

I must admit that most of the keyboard shortcuts were there from the start, thanks to Scintilla. The same shortcuts often work in MS Word and any other text editor.
I only discovered how many myself when I decided to put the list into the help file.

Jim

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

shoebuckle

Posted: 01:04pm 30 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Jim,
Would it be possible for the Find and Replace functions to retain the last values used so that they are there when you invoke it again? This would save having to re-enter them.
Cheers,
Hugh

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 05:11pm 30 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Can do Hugh.

It will remember window location, the two options and the last phrase searched for. The last phrase will not be remembered between sessions.
If you highlight a phrase before starting the search, the highlighted phrase will be the one used rather than the last used.
Any more?

Busy for a while now so I am not sure when it will be done.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

paceman
Guru

Posted: 11:19pm 30 Apr 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Jim, here's a quick one - no rush

How about adding a CLS for the Maximite screen to the command icons. I know it's simple to type it into the box and transmit but it's an extra step and has to be typed when usually at that point I've got the mouse in my hand and have just clicked the editor's screen clear. I know the "New" icon sends a CLS and clears MM memory but often I don't want a memory clear.

Hint: guess you might need a tiny MM and ED in the resulting two "clear" icons to distinguish them - ahem!

Very Best Regards and ducking fast,
Greg

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 01:06pm 01 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

paceman said   Jim, here's a quick one - no rush

How about adding a CLS for the Maximite screen to the command icons.

Very Best Regards and ducking fast,
Greg

No, BUT - I have decided to provide a number (probably 10) user defined 'macro' buttons.
Since the implied run and commandline arguments were introduced to MM Basic, this has become a very useful addition.

I still have to decide if they will be one-line or multiline and if control codes are passed on.

It will not be a full macro language - Tera Term does that well.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

paceman
Guru

Posted: 09:45pm 01 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TassyJim said  
No, BUT - I have decided to provide a number (probably 10) user defined 'macro' buttons.
Since the implied run and commandline arguments were introduced to MM Basic, this has become a very useful addition. Jim

Sounds interesting - I'm going to have to start writing longer programs!

shoebuckle

Posted: 09:54pm 01 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TassyJim said   Any more?Jim

Well, now you mention it, yes please! Having found something, it would be nice if you didn't have to close the Find dialogue to make a change in the source text. Just click in the text to transfer the focus there, make a change, then click again on the Find Next.
Cheers,
Hugh

shoebuckle

Posted: 10:04pm 01 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Jim,
I had a major problem with MMEdit v3.3.1. I have been working on 2 interrelated programs (call them A and B). Having edited prog B, when I pressed the MMEdit "Save file" icon it saved it over prog A. Fortunately I had a recent backup of A and was able to recover quite easily.

My environment is Win7, MMEdit v 3.3.1, DOS MMBasic 4.3a. Basic source is stored on the computer's hard drive.

I am not sure of the exact sequence of events, but it went something like this.
- Click MMEdit desktop icon - opens B as that was the last edited.
- Start editing B
- Drag A from Win Explorer onto MMEdit desktop icon. - opens A in 2nd copy of MMEdit
- Scroll A to check some detail
- Continue editing B
- Close A by clicking the window's close icon (top right of window)
- Finish editing B
- Save B by clicking MMEdit save file icon, leaving B open in MMEdit

Even though MMEdit shows B's filename in the top bar of the screen, it uses A's filename to save B, overwriting A on the cumputer's HDD.

HughEdited by shoebuckle 2013-05-08

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024