Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:09 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : External VGA for Maximite

sharkos

Posted: 04:16am 06 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Has anyone tried to interface one of these Display Adapters with a Maximite?

http://www.4dsystems.com.au/prod.php?id=149

It has several ways of interfacing, but I thought the Serial mode might have potential applications to expand the VGA capabilties and gain additional colors and resolutions.

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 11:39am 06 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A while ago I tried using the previous version of this board as the basis for a colour Maximite (before the current Colour Maximite design).

It worked OK but it was slow - I cannot remember the exact number but it took several milliseconds to process each character. That meant that something like redrawing the screen took a few seconds and, because scrolling required redrawing the screen for each line, it was unusable.

For a static display that is not continuously updated it would be good, but it is no good as a programming interface.

It was not the serial interface that was slow, it was the Picasso chip (which is just an ordinary microcontroller with the markings rubbed off).

GeoffEdited by Geoffg 2013-05-08
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

boss

Posted: 04:25am 08 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Greetings from Vancouver,

I have one 4D serial VGA and have to say it is terrible slow (800x600 resolution) and time to time it simply get stuck. TFT 4.3" LCD display fed via SPI worked much better.

sharkos

Posted: 07:27pm 09 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoff,

Thanks for the insight. I was following the thread about going from 8 -> 16 colors on the Maximite (which BTW, I would greatly welcome). I decided to research options, which led me to this VGA board.

I also stumbled upon a page where a board designer had used two different chips connected via SPI. One chip for the display and display memory, and the other for the main program executions. Lots of neat projects out there.

On another note, is there a Roadmap for Maximite and MMBasic?

Chris

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 04:13am 11 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

sharkos said  On another note, is there a Roadmap for Maximite and MMBasic?
Chris

No, I don't have anything as organised as a roadmap.

I believe that the language has gone as far as it can for an easy to use BASIC interpreter. There will be bug fixes and small improvements but I cannot think of anything major that needs to be added.

For the Maximite, it is currently limited by the PIC32. There are rumours of a new PIC32 with double or more memory and if that rumour comes true then it would be worth a new design.

I am trying to squeeze MMBasic into the PIC32MX2 which comes in a 28 pin dual inline package but it is proving difficult. At this stage I am not sure where it will lead. If it works out it would be neat, a Maximite in a chip.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024