Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:52 10 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MM Edit update 3.3.3

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 05:12pm 17 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A quiet day in Dubbo while the boss has gone shopping.
This is a minor update and a work in progress.
The search function has improved and there is a macro feature in the Chat program
Now that MM Basic has the implied run and command line reading, macro can be used to advantage.
The macros are limited to one line with a CR automatically added.
The next step is to imbed C type control codes '\n' etc

I will update the help "soon"

V3.3.2
28 Apr 2013
Code formatting lines with numbers improved.
Saving changes to syntax help improved.
Search from start was missing the first word.
Search settings and window location remembered.

V3.3.3
18 May 2013
Search window action improved (can be left open)
Single line macros added to Chat window (Hold shift key to edit macro)
Multi line and control codes for macros to be added soon.

You can download the full program or copy the tkn file from the attached zip.
2013-05-18_030800_MMedit.zip

Hugh,
I missed your report on the problem with saving to the wrong file when using two instances of MMedit.
I will start investigating.....

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

panky

Guru

Posted: 01:38am 19 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jim,

Trying to run MM Edit under Win 8 (64) - a problem occurs when I try to start MM Dos to run a program (by clicking the gear icon). MM Edit appears to lock up at this point and does not respond in any way. Only solution is to kill MM Edit in Task Manager.

Looking at cpu usage when in the locked up state, I have a solid 25% against MM Edit.

All functions of MM Edit in the edit window appear to work correctly. The version of MM Dos I am using is 4.3a. The version of MM Edit is the latest one off your web site v3.3.3

The link to a real ( well, almost real ) MM ( a Duinomite) works fine.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Doug.

... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 09:00pm 20 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Doug,
I don't have W8 to play with and my first look did not bring up any changes to the Windows API that I use to run MMbasic.exe

A few questions.
From the help > about menu, does the file folder name (4th item down) have any spaces in it? This shouldn't matter and causes no problems on W7 but we are clutching at straws. After you try to run your prog in DOS, there should be a temp.bas file in the above folder. Is it there (with the correct time stamp)?

Can you find MMbasic.exe by holding the shift key while clicking on "run in dos"?

Can anyone else running W8 confirm the problem?

Can you run MMbasic.exe on it's own?

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

djuqa

Guru

Posted: 09:33pm 20 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

win8 mmedit report
1/ help . about 4th item has nothing
2/ no joy with run in DOS command
3/ MMbasic.exe runs ok standalone
4/ Config choice in mmedit not work
5/ Preference choice not work
6/ exit from MMedit only works if done as soon as it loads not working after trying menu options
7/ Basically Un-Usable as it stands
VK4MU MicroController Units

panky

Guru

Posted: 12:07am 22 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Jim,

In answer to your questions:-

1. Help, About - 4th item is File folder:C:\ , no spaces;

2. No temp.bas file created;

3. Holding shift key and clicking "Run in DOS" results in lockup, the same as clicking on "Run in DOS" ( the gear icon ) without holding shift key down;

4. MM Basic for DOS runs fine on its own.

MMEdit appears to work fully, EXCEPT when I try to invoke MM Basic for DOS from within MMEdit.

Cheers, Doug.

Edit: Jim, Once you click on the gear icon, close file (top right x) does not work; You can select menu items at first level ( File, Edit, Program) etc. But nothing works under that; You can move the cursor around the edit screen and edit text ok; None of the menu icons on the taskbar work at all . WierdEdited by panky 2013-05-23
... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 12:45pm 22 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry about the slow responses. Being on the road slows things up a bit.

Doug and David, could you post the contents of locate.inf

It is located on the data folder and its location can be found from help/about.

The problem might be caused by W8 changing user files locations and/or changing permissions.

Something else to try is running MMedit in compatibility mode.
(I assume that W8 does allow computability mode)
Right click on the desktop icon, select properties, compatibility.

One other option is to run the installer as administrator.

It will be 2 months before I am back home and even then, I am not sure about being able to borrow a W8 PC to test with.

Jim

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

BobD

Guru

Posted: 01:06pm 22 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Jim
W8 does allow various compatibility modes on both the executable files and the installers.
Bob

panky

Guru

Posted: 01:30pm 22 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jim,

Firstly, this is not urgent for me, I was just bringing it to your attention

Contents of locate.inf is

C:\Users\suzip\Desktop\
900 675 100 60
480 400 860 340
710 720 335 2 3 0
C:\
530 590 410 120

700 300 100 100
485 400 100 100
245 178 600 190 0 0
EOF

Using the compatability troubleshooter, I tried to run as a Win 7 app but no joy.

Tried running as Administrator - no go.

I can minimise and restore to full screen. It's definately a wierd one.

After you have clicked on the gear icon to run DOS MM Basic, it appears to acknowledge one click on just about anything (icons in toolbar, top menu items, minimise etc. but will not act on any sub items. You can run across the toolbar and each item displays tooltips but does nothing else.

Looking at Task Manager, I get a pretty solid 25% usage (I think this equates to flat out for 1 logical CPU) and quite heavy disk usage, as if it is searching for something. I let it run for over 10 minutes to see if it would recover but again, no joy.

I will also try to do a bit more in depth fault finding when I get home next week.

Give me a call when you get home and I will try and organise a copy of Win 8 for you if I can, if we haven't resolved it by then.

Cheers, Doug.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 07:31pm 22 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Doug,
Next thing to try for me is to delete the locate.inf file.

It will be recreated when MMedit starts.
Shut down MMedit and post a copy of locate.inf again

I think we are getting somewhere.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 07:57pm 23 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

We decided to stay another day in Armidale so I went shopping.
The good news is MMedit runs on W8.
The only thing I have added to the PC is a start menu app.

The bad news is, the version of MMedit I tried is the same one that you are all having problems with.

I do have a bit to do which might solve the problem but I was really hoping that I could see the problem for myself.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

panky

Guru

Posted: 08:54pm 23 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Jim,

Great news - your suggestion to kill locate.inf and let MMEdit create a new one has fixed the problem.

I haven't created an app for MMBasic yet but can select it from a list of programs and then set as the default for .bas

Thanks for your time and assistance.

Cheers, Doug

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 09:25pm 23 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thats good news.

I have a lot of small changes to make to fix it properly.

On the move again tomorrow so it is good that things are working for you as is.

Jim

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

panky

Guru

Posted: 09:48pm 23 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jim,

Hope I'm not bugging you and interfering with your holiday ( when I travel in the van I take a " crash kit " with me - a laptop, MM, multimeter, doco etc. so when SWMBO goes out shopping I have something to keep me occupied.

I have found that at each startup of MMEdit, the first file I save goes by default to my Documents directory. Even if I use Save As to put a file in a different directory, Run in DOS still looks in Documents for the first file saved. Ie. It remembers the first file saved and always tries to run that. Only when that initial file is deleted does it give you the option of specifying another file.

Please don't waste time on this unless you want to until you get home or around to it - all the above can be worked around if needs be.

Again, many thanks for a great product and your support,

Regards, Doug.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 12:41pm 24 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

panky said   Hi Jim,
I have found that at each startup of MMEdit, the first file I save goes by default to my Documents directory. Even if I use Save As to put a file in a different directory, Run in DOS still looks in Documents for the first file saved. Ie. It remembers the first file saved and always tries to run that. Only when that initial file is deleted does it give you the option of specifying another file.

Regards, Doug.

That's all part of the same problem.
Using the recent file list does not change the working folder and there is a problem with the trailing backslash in the saved folder name. Sometimes it's there and other times it is missing.

The problem is relatively easy to fix but there are a lot of changes to make so I need a few clear hours to do it (or there will be even more bugs to fix).

You might also find that you keep loosing track of DOS mmbasic.exe

Why some W8 systems didn't like it I don't know but it should/will be fixed.

JimEdited by TassyJim 2013-05-25
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024