Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:44 09 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MM and Linux

BobDevries

Posted: 11:20am 21 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all,

Has anyone here had any success in connecting the MM to a Linux terminal programme?

I have tried "minicom", but its use is limited in that it doesn't appear to transmit all the keyboard keys, in particular the function keys (F1... etc)

If the F keys don't work, I can't use the MM full-screen editor.

Regards,

Bob Devries
Dalby, QLD, Australia

ThierryP

Posted: 12:21pm 21 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bob

I'm using minicom and most times picocom without problems, incl F-keys and Esc.
Only keystroke I have difficulty with is Ctrl-C.

Thierry

crackerjack

Posted: 09:13pm 21 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bob,

I use minicom - the only issue I had was I could not get the F-keys (1 thru 4) to work. Minicom kept sending ESC-OP, ESC-OQ, etc.

So I setup some macros, to send characters Hex 91, etc (see the MM Manual for the details of which characters to send in one of the Apendices - I can't recall them right now). I just moved the F-keys from 1 - 4 to 6 onwards. Having done that the Fill Screen editor is usable again. Don't forget to set the size of your terminal window to 80x36 and then do a resize command before starting minicom.

Good luck.

If you can't get it right, shout out and I'll be more detailed in reply.

panky

Guru

Posted: 11:41pm 21 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bob,

Have a look at my post 'DM Inerface to Linux' on previous page - I went the Virtual Box route as I knew TerraTerm would work with function keys but also that I could use the Windows only MMEdit (fantastic program Jim) and MMIDE (fantastic program CG) natively under XP as well as Geof's DOS MM.

I am in the process of a detailed write-up on install/config of this scenario for both the boys above - will post soon when ready.

Cheers, Doug.

... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 03:11am 22 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I use screen and it does all I want.

John

ThierryP

Posted: 05:22am 22 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

ThierryP said   Bob

I'm using minicom and most times picocom without problems, incl F-keys and Esc.
Only keystroke I have difficulty with is Ctrl-C.

Thierry

Meant to say:
I can use Ctrl-C, but I can't interrupt an already running autorun.bas program on the MM/DM from a Teraterm terminal that is logging into a remote Linux PC / Embedded system, that is physically connecting to a MM/DM via USB (picocom -b 115200 /dev/ttyACM0).
However, if I start the autorun.bas (or any .bas) from the terminal, I can interrupt it via Ctrl-C, any suggestions?

vasi

Guru

Posted: 10:37am 22 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A fast solution. I don't know what version of linux you have, but if Arduino is available, just install it. It have a serial terminal you can start.

Other solutions: cutecom, gtkterm - also, don't remember if I mentioned them on the other topic?
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

crackerjack

Posted: 04:27pm 25 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi JohnS,

I am trying out GNU Screen (an interesting concept is Screen - and a utility I was not aware of - so thanks for pointing it out). Works fine (with some modified key bindings for backspace, etc.), but I am unable to send a Ctrl-C to the *Mite connected to it to stop a running program... Have you (or anybody) any experience with this and could possibly suggest a fix/workaround or appropriate keybinding?

Thanks in advance...

[EDIT] I have done the pre-requisite Googling to no avail...Edited by crackerjack 2013-05-27

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024