Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 01:07 09 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Programming PIC32

vk4tec

Posted: 06:39pm 27 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello

I would like to learn about the PIC32

To do this I would like to program a PIC 32

I see my mini maximite has ICSP

Am I able to experiment and put back the mini Maximite original software ?

I don't want to trash it just for the purposes of playing

Andrew
Andrew Rich VK4TEC
www.tech-software.net

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 08:24pm 27 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Should work fine.

One of the gotchas is making sure you've selected the device properly and early on. One of the reasons is new firmware is sent from your PC to the PICkit3 and you want it there at the right time.

If you follow the instructions about how to program the device it should be fine. I think the problem comes when people just leap in and guess.

There's a good warning on the Olimex site about a bug that's doc'd on Microchip site and is worth reading so you avoid bricking the PIC32.

John

kiiid

Guru

Posted: 09:42pm 27 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

In general the "bug" with Pickit3 can be simply defined like this: Do not press the button on the Pickit3 programmer when working with PIC32!

Advise: you will be better off removing it completely
http://rittle.org

--------------

paceman
Guru

Posted: 11:12pm 27 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

vk4tec said   Hello

I would like to learn about the PIC32

To do this I would like to program a PIC 32

I see my mini maximite has ICSP

Am I able to experiment and put back the mini Maximite original software ?

I don't want to trash it just for the purposes of playing

Andrew

Andrew,
I assume you mean program it without the MMBasic interpreter. Yes you can do that using the ICSP connector, your PICkit 3 and MicroChip's 'MPLab X IDE' program or the 'MPLab IPE' program that gets installed with it. I think at one stage you said you'd already installed those.

I haven't tried it but I don't see why you can't reprogram MMBasic back into it after you've 'played' with it. I think Geoff assumed people would sometimes want to reprogram it, otherwise why would he have included the ICSP connector? To re-load MMBasic you need to use the ICSP connector etc, as above, not the Mini Maximite's mini USB connector (connected directly to the PC) that you would normally use to upgrade the 'already-installed' version of the MMBasic interpreter with.

To re-install MMBasic you also have to use a 'bootloader included' version of the .hex firmware file for the chip used in the Mini Maximite (the 64 pin PIC32MX695F512H or PIC32MX795F512H). You'll have to check Geoff's website but I think the version you'll need is V2.1. Make sure you don't use a 'bootloader included' version that's meant for the Colour Maximite - they'll be later versions, i.e. I think the most recent is V4.1. Those versions assume the 100 pin 'L' version of the chips is being programmed (the H or L is the final letter in the chip designation).

As far as 'learning about the PIC32' or 'programming' it, I'm in the same boat as you. Geoff recommended the book 'Programming 32 Bit Microcontrollers in C - Exploring the PIC32' by Lucio Di Jasio. I bought that and it is very good, starting from the bottom up and with heaps of example code etc. The only problem is the book isn't cheap, the best price I found was on the www.fishpond.com.au site at about $54, nil postage - it took about a week to arrive. Most other sources were in the high $70's and often included considerable postage.

Other than that I guess you can chase around the web for info, e.g check out PIC32 BOB Projects.

Greg

MOBI
Guru

Posted: 08:17pm 28 May 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If you manage as I did a few months ago to erase your MM pic32, it is no big deal to re-flash it using ICSP and the MM basic (early version) with the built in boot loader.

I broke out in a cold sweat at the time, but thanks to Geoff G, the "oops" moment was easily rectified. Its not the end of the world like I thought it might be.
David M.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024