Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 04:37 09 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : 8 bit vs 32 bit

vk4tec

Posted: 11:23pm 01 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello

What is tha advantage of having a 32 bit MCU over an 8 ?

Larger numbers ?

Four times the instructions ?

Andrew
Andrew Rich VK4TEC
www.tech-software.net

MOBI
Guru

Posted: 12:34am 02 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  What is the advantage of having a 32 bit MCU over an 8 ?

A totally different engine. The 8 bit PICs use "standard" PIC architecture whereas the PIC32 uses a MIPS processor within a PIC framework.

I downloaded the instruction set to have a go at assembly in the pic32 and then decided that I wouldn't. When I do, it will be using a C compiler. Not that it is impossible but there are limits to one's ambitions.
David M.

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 03:37am 02 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Larger memories, faster CPUs, good DMA, far better ADC, etc. Look what MMBasic does, you couldn't do that on the PIC16Fs mentioned above!

John

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 10:19pm 02 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yea I finally started reading that pic32 pdf and downloaded mplabX and had a go writing my first 'C' file to simulate which ran nicely. I do have a chip kit here with the 100 pin 795f512 chip so yesterday went up to my shed and finally found where I left my pikit3. Decided well time to make a breakout board to sit ontop and use my cnc to mill my first pcb but now I got the listeriod bug I instead spent a day working on my 5 cyl radial and 2 hous of hacksawing later had the 5 hollow bar blanks to machine for the cyclinders so that took up one my rare free days.

So tonights job is looking at the chipkit pdf and designing up a breakout board to fit a SDcard and VGA socket among other things. With so many holes to drill it will be a good test for my cnc as the first trial of a gerber on plywood machined up nicely as the first test.

Regards Bryan

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 04:43pm 04 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MOBI said  I downloaded the instruction set to have a go at assembly in the pic32 and then decided that I wouldn't.

HAHAHA!

I did pretty much the same thing a while back, and thought that I'd probably be 90 by the time I managed to do useful things in MIPS!!!!

Edited by Grogster 2013-06-06
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024