Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:47 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : TZBlox product range priorities

Page 1 of 2    
MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 01:17am 23 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have many Blox on my list.
I need to prioritize the development and testing and would like to have feedback which ones would be in your opinion the most essential.
And the ones that are missing!

These three are scheduled first, only the CMM module needs to have a onboard power supply so that it can function stand alone.

TZBlox POW9533 TZBlox POW9533 - A power supply input 6-9v DC output 5v, 3.3v both 500ma
TZBlox MCU32MX795A TZBlox MCU32MX795A - A MCU module based on the 32MX795F512L from Microchip
TZBlox CMM TZBlox CMM - A enclosure containing the MCU32MX795A module and all necessary connectors

The list that needs to be prioritised contains:
TZBlox BAT - A battery pack 4x AA batteries
TZBlox BATLi - Li-Ion battery pack with charger
TZBlox WiFiIU - A Wi-Fi module that connects through I2C or Serial
TZBLOX TFT28RGB - A TFT 2.8" Color Display
TZBLOX OLED9639WBIU - An OLED graphic display 96x39px White on Black
TZBlox OLED6448BBIU - An OLED graphic display 64x48px Blue on Black
TZBlox OLED128128CIU - An OLED graphic display 128x128px Color
TZBLOX I2CI - An i2C connection module that allows hot swapping of i2c
TZBlox IO16I - An IO expander for 16 extra GPIO
TZBlox REL4IU - Board with 4 relais I2C or Serial
TZBlox KEY4x4IUP - Small 4x4 keyboard I2C or Serial or as a matrix.
TZBlox LED7SEG2x4IU - A 2x 7 segment LED with 4 digits module I2C or Serial
TZBlox LED8x8IU - A 8x8 LED matrix several colors available
TZBlox LEDRGB8x8IU - A 8x8 LED matrix several with RGB to have many colors
*TZBlox GPSU - A GPS module and antenna Serial
*TZBlox GSMU - A GSM/GPRS module Serial
*TZBlox 1WIREIU - A 1wire Bus booster that allows connection of many 1wire devices
*TZBlox RFID2GU - A 2.4GHZ Active RFID reader

All blox will have an enclosure and male connectors for easy use while prototyping.
The link of the TZBlox POW9533 shows a rendering of the top plate. It has the schematics printed so that it makes it easy to see what each pin is connected to.
Obviously for complicated schematics this will be simplified as a block diagram.
Plan is to make them available in kit form and fully assembled.
The enclosures will be plastic or aluminum, even with T-Slot is possible.
Edited by TZAdvantage 2013-06-24
Microblocks. Build with logic.

muddy0409

Posted: 02:17am 23 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well, I'm gunna keep an eye on tx's site for more details.
A bit like the Mikrobus gear by the looks.

Don't poo poo conspiracy theories.
Remember that everything ever discovered started somewhere as a theory.

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 02:53am 23 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have used Mikrobus and it is very concentrated on the serial busses.
I am personally not so fond of 'shields', arduino shields although somewhat better included.
They always have limitations unless you use 50 or more pins and once defined you are stuck with it.
With Mikrobus if you need just a little different pins you are out of luck, back to make one yourself. The Arduino shields are just ridiculously big for most cases.

If you make a module that needs 2 wires for the data communication and 2 for power then you don't need all the others. They just use up valuable space.

It is good for sales of development boards as they can make many modules that work on all of those boards.

However my 'twist' is that i want you to be able to make any combination you want and every module just has one function.

When you design a project you probably start with some processor board, some breakout board, modules and a breadboard. Once you have it working the fun starts. How are you going to transfer what you have just made to a pcb. Maybe you made something that a friend also wants, or maybe even a small production run. Fun just flew out of the window.

First you have to leave out all the parts that where not used on your development board, then leave out the parts you not used on the modules. Make a schematic of it, order a PCB and test it. Probably more expensive and time consuming then estimated.

My 'solution' is you make a schematic of all connections you made between the 'Blox'. Then make a pcb with blox as 'tiny production module' and you have a pcb that will work first time.
There would be no difference in components or connections. You just change the wires from your prototype into copper traces on a pcb.

Every 'Blox' will be available as a schematic component and have a PCB pattern and footprint. Even 3d models so you can visualize how the product will look like.

Each 'Blox' is an easy to use module that breaks out all the pins, easy for use with breadboarding. Inside however is the exact same tiny production module that you can use on a pcb.

A next step, that needs major development on my side is that you upload a connection list (net list) between the modules and PCB's are made automagically with human supervision of course.
The resulting pcb would still use the same modules only they are not on their individual tiny boards, their layout is transferred to the pcb and optimized for placement. That will take some considerable time , so in the mean time those tiny boards are just soldered on the pcb like a DIP or SOIC.

The steps between experimenting, prototyping, test version and final product are very small and much less error prone.

Nixie

Posted: 04:36am 23 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hmmmmm choices choices....
I like the last 4 (with asterisks) they are applicable to my interests!
You may also want to consider a stepper motor controller?
Cheers, Nic.

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 11:09am 23 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The ones with the * are my preferences, as they are quit difficult to get in a good formfactor.
I hope i have found a good source for a module. I hope it works out as i am waiting for more specifications.

Nixie

Posted: 11:55am 23 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have bought GPS modules from Sparkfun, Mouser Electronics and Futurelec.

But I guess you probably source from China via Alibaba.com or a similar website.

(I - and others!! - only get components from futurelec as a last resort, as they are so very slow to process orders.)

Good luck with your developments , Nic.

kiiid

Guru

Posted: 12:50pm 23 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good planned range
I only hope you will not run out of money (like... other people) during the development. All the tooling for these assorted boards must be a fortune...
Best of luck!
http://rittle.org

--------------

panky

Guru

Posted: 01:27pm 23 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TZ,

Looking good. Re your power of 6 to 9V, could you consider either a second option or modify your original to cater for 12 to 15V - this being typical power available from car, caravan, boat, rural or remote systems which (IMHO) are fertile ground for the CMM.

Also, as your design seems eminently suitable for an embedded system, have you considered a mono MM Blox?

Lastly, I have a requirement for a Bluetooth module and I suspect with the growth in tablets, a bluetooth link to a tablet front end for enhanced display and user interaction would be popular ( btw, I am in the early planning stages of developing an MM to tablet protocol for this purpose for my own use).

Good luck - you will have an order from me when they are available.

Cheers, Doug.

... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

muddy0409

Posted: 01:55pm 23 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I certainly like the idea of "blox" type of gear.
I make some gear for assorted people, usually 1 or 2 of any design.
This makes design and build Very time (and money) hungry.
Also old age is creeping (rushing?) up and I am rapidly thinking that a source of "lego" blocks would be the way to just get the bits together before going ahead and assembling. Will certainly make things a bit quicker. And besides, having access to the same bits off the shelf would also help with the "now, how the hell did I do that last time?"
BTW.. are these modules based on a standard common sized footprint?
I too am interested in the GSM/GPRS blox as I have a current project that could use one of them, or hopefully lots of them.
Anyway, can't wait for more information to surface.

Don't poo poo conspiracy theories.
Remember that everything ever discovered started somewhere as a theory.

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 11:25pm 23 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nixie said   I have bought GPS modules from Sparkfun, Mouser Electronics and Futurelec.

But I guess you probably source from China via Alibaba.com or a similar website.

(I - and others!! - only get components from futurelec as a last resort, as they are so very slow to process orders.)

Good luck with your developments , Nic.

I prefer to get them from a reliable source. Don't want to be short on a particular component when they are successful. That is a whole quest by itself!
Sparkfun is expensive good for quirky parts, mouser no opinion, element14 is ok.

I live in Thailand and most of my parts i would like to buy from Microchip or Maxim. Both have their factories close to Bangkok and i can have parts when they have them in stock and if i really really want have them an hour later.
A few retailers are in 'Ban mohr' which is like a small city within bangkok that only sells electronics.
Those retailers are pretty good stocked, and i can order 1 piece or a whole reel.
While waiting for your parts to get picked and packed there are seats for waiting and i always end up talking to some Thais who because they have to read datasheets for a living speak very good English. My Thai is not yet good enough for conversation.

The small shops and market stalls on the street are good for mechanical parts, like small screws, spacers etc. I never buy electronic parts from them however as i don't want to depend on a source that only sells what they have at the moment. I did find some nice switches that i needed at that time and if it is exactly what you are looking for why not, so those are guidelines not absolutes.

Thank you for the good wishes.

MOBI
Guru

Posted: 11:28pm 23 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  (I - and others!! - only get components from futurelec as a last resort, as they are so very slow to process orders.)

Isn't that the truth!!
David M.

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 11:29pm 23 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

kiiid said   Good planned range
I only hope you will not run out of money (like... other people) during the development. All the tooling for these assorted boards must be a fortune...
Best of luck!

Yeah, that is a concern.
I invest in this adventure with a part of the money i make from my other work.
I will not borrow for it, i rather go slower.
Living in Thailand makes some things easy, and some things extremely difficult.
There are many people that can make things, not so many that make good quality.
Finding them is a slow process.
I will not make the board, i have a company nearby who does that. Pick and place is in consideration. I don't need high speed, accuracy i do. If i can put in a board (paneled) load it and press a button, that would be great and save lots of time.
Now it is all handwork, with some tools like camera and sliding hand rests, vacuum etc.

Edited by TZAdvantage 2013-06-25

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 11:44pm 23 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

panky said   TZ,
Looking good. Re your power of 6 to 9V, could you consider either a second option or modify your original to cater for 12 to 15V - this being typical power available from car, caravan, boat, rural or remote systems which (IMHO) are fertile ground for the CMM.
[/quote]
This power supply, when i change the 7805 to a better low drop one can also be used with a 6v battery pack (4AA).
For cars i need to cater for 10-32v if trucks have to be included. And they need to be much more robust and can stand ate least 60v spikes. Also filtering is a whole topic. A good power supply for a car must withstand lots of electric abuse.

[quote]
Also, as your design seems eminently suitable for an embedded system, have you considered a mono MM Blox?
[/quote]
If you mean with a 64 pin chip, not at the moment. I need to start with as little divers number of mcu's to make a 'run' possible.
The CMM Blox is a MCU32MX795A plus a carrier that has all the connectors. for a mono MM it can be a different carrier. It might be easier to just use a MCU32MC795A and connect only what you need. It would still function as a CMM if you load the right software.
The 'Blox' would allow for many different MCU's to be used. A arduino 'Blox' is probably going to be made, and if there is demand for a certain mco or cpu it is certainly possible.
I welcome designs from other to transfer into a 'blox'. This will enhance the concept tremendously. An incentive could be a free 'blox' or coupon. Have to work that out first. Suggestions welcome.

[quote]
Lastly, I have a requirement for a Bluetooth module and I suspect with the growth in tablets, a bluetooth link to a tablet front end for enhanced display and user interaction would be popular ( btw, I am in the early planning stages of developing an MM to tablet protocol for this purpose for my own use).
[/quote]
Bluetooth was planned until the new protocol used in the latest phones and tablets became common. I have no experience with those and will first have to find a good source where i can buy less then 5000 pieces.

[quote]
Good luck - you will have an order from me when they are available.

Cheers, Doug.

Thank you! And good to hear you like the idea enough to want them.

Jean

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 11:52pm 23 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

muddy0409 said   I certainly like the idea of "blox" type of gear.
I make some gear for assorted people, usually 1 or 2 of any design.
This makes design and build Very time (and money) hungry.
[/quote]
A problem specifically solved with 'Blox'. That was the initial spark.

[quote]
Also old age is creeping (rushing?) up and I am rapidly thinking that a source of "lego" blocks would be the way to just get the bits together before going ahead and assembling. Will certainly make things a bit quicker. And besides, having access to the same bits off the shelf would also help with the "now, how the hell did I do that last time?"
[/quote]
Using 'lego' for protoyping is ideal i think. Those 'Blox' should stay simple though. Better more specialized ones then ones that have lots of functionality. It will transfer much better to a product or final "one of" a project by saving space and components not needed. It also allows me to make many different parts that are by themselves simple, meaning without bugs, and still be able to make complex systems.

Getting old.... Years are going super quick when you get older. Latest research says that the brain is actually functioning slower so everything seems faster. With kids around i can see proof of that. Are we there yet? Are we there yet?
My answer is "We're there when we get there!".

[quote]
BTW.. are these modules based on a standard common sized footprint?
[/quote]
They will have a standard pitch of 0.1". I like the idea that Kiiid has to use PLCC sockets, i planning to contact him to use some of his modules as the basis of a 'Blox'. No use of making similar parts when you can use eachothers.
I intended to make them directly solderable on a PCB or with standard male/female headers.
[quote]
I too am interested in the GSM/GPRS blox as I have a current project that could use one of them, or hopefully lots of them.
Anyway, can't wait for more information to surface.

I think i have found a source for a combined GSM/GPRS component. It would save money and space. Waiting for a quote and minimum order amount. I not asked for a sample before i know the answers to that.

Edited by TZAdvantage 2013-06-25

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 12:02am 24 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MOBI said  
  Quote  (I - and others!! - only get components from futurelec as a last resort, as they are so very slow to process orders.)

Isn't that the truth!!

Shipping is always the uncertainty factor.
If it is in stock i see no reason that parts can not be sent of the same day or early the next day. After all it is just a pick and pack action.
Maybe when they get big to fast it overwhelms them. If they are big a long time then no excuse, get your act together.
Sparkfun is quick, that is the example to strive for.

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 02:03pm 27 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Some progress on the MCU32MX795A Module.
The new schematics and some 3d renderings can be found on this URL:
http://tzblox.com/Documents/_TZBlox_/MCU32MX795A

I have two versions of the schematic and a third is in the works.
The PIC32 has many peripherals and it is always a lot of work to find out which ones are on which pins. The "Improved" schematic organizes all the pins into "Ports".
The PIC32 parts for the oscillators, power supply and MCLR# are also made into parts.
This will make much more clear which pins are connected without the need to search the schematics for where it is connected to as is the case when net names are used.
nets.

This improved version which has even more pins broken out (AVSS, AVDD, OSCI and OSCO) will go to the PCB board maker for prototypes the first week of july.

This module can be only the PIC32 with the necessary capacitors and optionally a 3.3v regulator, supervisory chip and 2 oscillator crystals can be mounted. There is a power indicator led, but if not needed can be left out.

When this module is used to build a (C)MM clone the easiest is to mount all parts except the RTC crystal with its capacitors.

There are two ways of powering the module, 4-6v or 3.3v.

When 4-6v is used the on board 3.3v regulator supplies the PIC and has 350ma spare load that can be used for other connected circuitry. The convenience is that only one supply voltage is needed. It uses a LDO, powering from 3-4 AA batteries is possible which makes it very safe to use for experimenting.

When no 3.3v regulator is mounted the module needs a single 3.3v. The PIC32 uses maximum 150ma.

Note that i did not include any headers for USB or ICSP. The module will always be used on a carrier board which will include those connectors.

Schematics review and suggestions are welcome.
Edited by TZAdvantage 2013-06-29

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 07:46am 02 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I got some feedback since i posted and after careful study of that feedback and the datasheet (again, but very focused on layout decision) the MCU32MX795A has gone through some major changes.

I thought i was very close to a final design. One thing was clear, the module has components on it not suited for a generic mcu board.
So i first dropped the "A" from the model number, the "A" stood for Additions.

The feedback gave some real world examples that would not be possible and that was a great concern because i especially want this module to be very generic.
More generic then for instance a UBW32 or other similar products. Those are always using pins for certain switches, leds, USB wired as a client, etc and are not free anymore for use. This can disqualify a module for use.
Also the supervisory chip, 3.3v regulator, rtc crystal are all taken of the board as in most if not all cases these are better placed elsewhere.
The more simpler, the more robust and easier to use is the new motto.

For systems on a module there are other solutions currently available and that is not a part of the market i aim for. I need to remind myself of that. KISS!

Components are now placed on one side, allowing it to be used much easier, even soldered directly to a board.
This required a whole redesign of the board as great care has to be taken with placement of the decoupling capacitors and crystal. Official recommendations of Microchip are now strictly followed. Ground guard tracks, no crossing signal under the crystal, that sort of stuff. Although the PIC's are very forgiving and work almost all the time it never hurts to be as good as possible.
I was able to keep it a two layer board that will keep costs down. I want this module to be your preferred choice instead of buying a bare chip.
It will be easier to handle and takes care of the essential parts.

There are now 3 optional subparts that can be left out for very specific solutions.
Second and third are more an "opt-in".
Those subparts are normally included because most are in almost every design.

First, when you want to use the internal oscillator you can choose to leave out the crystal together with 2 capacitors. Bridging two small copper islands will connect those PIC32 pins to the connector.

Second, the AVDD and AVSS are brought out straight for providing your own analog voltage and ground or with small solder bridges can use the on board resistor and capacitor.

Third, there is a resistor and led for a power indicator that can be made part of the circuit by bridging, especially important if you want to run the module from a battery. Here is such a simple modification many modules currently in the market fail.

My own thoughts about laying out the PIC32 pins in a more convenient way has also been done. Pins that belong to a certain peripheral are now placed together with an added GND and some supporting GPIO. For instance the SPI peripherals are now grouped and have a fixed pin order.Having one or two gpio pins next to it that can be used as a select line will prevent long traces.
Makes it much more easy to design a carrier board because all the pins needed are right next to each other.
Organizing the SPI also has the added advantage that I2C,UART are organised as well because they share pins and internal peripheral. I2C has no on board pull up resistors because that will render them useless for other purposes.

It will also allow for future other MCU boards to be made that use those same connector locations. Maybe a PIC32MX4 serie is enough or a PIC18 depending on your needs. Or you want an ATMega? The new PIC32MZ?
Defining where all the serial ports are will make this possible.
Of course a connector can never be really generic, just keeping the serial pinouts and a few gpio, analog and PWM capable pins on specific locations will allow for flexible MCU choices. It is not really a big factor as most of those processor module connector definitions do not seem to live very long as capabilities can outgrow the designers imagination very quick.

The pins for JTAG and TRACE are also grouped for ease of use.
All the sixteen databus pins of the PMP are next together in order and PMP control lines too. This allows for easy connection to parallel devices such as LCD, TFT or DACs. They are all on one side so placing that 50 pin header for a TFT becomes a much easier task. Also memory chips like SRAM or FRAM are easy to lay traces for.

It all resulted in an even smaller board measuring 27.5x29.5 mm.
It uses a 1mm grid that is much easier to solder then the PIC32 which has a 0.4mm pitch. The small size will allow very small designs and a choice can be made to go 2 dimensional by laying out the module and parts on a board next to eachother or go 3 dimensional and stack them.
The 1mm grid allows for headers to be mounted to have a pluggable stackable MCU module.

[edit picture added]

It also has 4 small mounting holes that will be of great use when lining up the module for soldering. The mounting holes/pads are placed at 20mm distance and the holes have a 1mm diameter. These are pads connected to GND.
They can also be used to tighten the board together when used in a stacking arrangement. Great when you use the boards in rough and shaking environments like robots, small helicopters or even your car, you can now go off-road. :)

Small things like adding a big white dot to the silkscreen to make clear where pin 1 is. And there is a small line next to each tenth pin and a small dot next to each fifth to make finding a particular pin easier.

I am just finishing the 3d model and when that is ready i will post the result.

Remember this module is not a 'Blox' but a part of it. A 'Blox' is the prototype friendly breadboard companion with very accessible pins, the module is what is inside and what goes on your final product. It will make sure you have exact the same components on your final product as is in your breadboard version. Something all other development boards do not!

Some new negotiations for the PCB manufacturer because those tolerances are tight.
At least for prototypes and pools.
If someone has suggestion about a manufacturer that can make prototypes that have 0.2mm traces and 0.15mm clearance i am all ears.
Edited by TZAdvantage 2013-07-03

StoveMan

Posted: 10:58am 02 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TZ,
I think you are on to something here! Every time we develop something I end up buying more functionality than I need just to avoid a custom PCB.

For a focus on the embedded controller side I would keep it simple to start.
INPUT >>> PROCESS >>> OUTPUT

Input:
Most stuff one would make with a MM would lend itself to an HMI. I find a GLCD(or TFT) much easier to program from a menuing standpoint. The money you save on a CLCD is burned up in programming time and the perceived value by the consumer is much less. Of course a simple machine with few settings is another animal (just use an Axe or stamp then!).
A touch interface can be more elegant but only pays off if the intent of the product is interaction(unless we get a custom driver!). I find a directional button array or Quad encoder works best for user input. A five button remote mount BLOX (DIN) or a mech encoder with built-in counter register over I2C would be a great marriage to an LCD. What would one use a 4x4 keypad array for? Navigation? Number input?
Other input is via sensors. This is well covered by most hobby suppliers; usually not much duplicate functionality. One hole I see is multiple thermocouple input though. K is king here and a good 4X interface is $$$. These are used by a lot of automotive guys as well as industry. I have used the Ocean controls shield which has the new Maxim chip (fed my a Mux of all things). It works pretty good and is the absolute cheapest thing I can find; but like you said ... a shield is huge and I only need so many seas of holes.

Output:
I wonder what one needs dozens of bare DIO for? They will undoubtedly go the way of the parallel port. What is simple to do from them though are relays. I wouldn't see the need to hang them off a serial bus and encode/decode the signals for 4 units. Unless TZBLOX is focused on a greater number down the road? Simple relay BLOX with protection is not sexy but if the form factor matches your system I would buy it.
Just a thought about the Power BLOX. Is 500ma intended to pass power to all the BLOX one would connect? Even the Relay coils? I'm sure you have at the power budget; what is the headroom?
Another hole in the MM arsenal is analog out. Lack of a bunch of easy to use hardware PWM leaves a profit center for some enterprising fellow! I2C access to a couple 0-5v(hobby)or 0-10v(industry) outputs is a solely needed product. Whose signature says that? We live in an analog world where digital...
How are you all doing analog at present?

One more thing:
SD CARDS? Isn't the whole point with these interchangeability? For a portable device a microSD makes sense. For a machine or controller you need easy access (Anyone make a panel mount macroSD slot?). Nothing like fishing around with a pair of tweezers cause you just dropped that tiny update card down behind a 3HP motor starter while holding your goose neck flashlight in your teeth!
A board mount microSD must be mostly for storage. Why not EEPROM then? Even most laptop computers use a full size card.
Probably just a pet peeve?

Anyway I anticipate getting some TZBLOX! I love the idea of exploiting the benefits of the Inter-Integrated Circuit bus for a modular system!

Keep us updated.
Frank

EDIT: I see you talked about power supply already... Sorry. Edited by StoveMan 2013-07-03

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 11:36am 02 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A quibble: you order some of the bits high:low (like B[7:0]) but others low:high (like B[8:13]) so maybe stick to one order.

Are the DATA[0:15] what Microchip call PMD0-PMD15?

Where are PMA0-15? (or PMD0-15, if the DATA ones are PMAxx)?

Is there something to stop it being accidentally oriented 180 degrees around?

BTW, to see the multiple functions of pins I refer to Olimex schematics as they show each function by each pin. Such as on PIC32-MAXI-WEB and Duinomite eMega.

JohnEdited by JohnS 2013-07-03

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 12:39pm 02 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Frank,

Thank you for taking the time. Much appreciated.

StoveMan said   TZ,
INPUT >>> PROCESS >>> OUTPUT
[/quote]
Good categories!

[quote]
Input:
[/quote]
Microchip has a good graphics library, it is however not easy to use in your programs because you have to get down to the 'C' programming level.
I like MM for the ease of programming and visualizing it. As an input through a normal keyboard it is not always the best. Great for testing though.
Maybe a standard usb mouse would be nice to have. Point and click works in many scenarios.
A touchscreen is often very delicate, in a car it is terrible because without tactile feedback you have not much control what you are doing without taking your eyes of the road. A few buttons where at least one has a small 'bump' as a marker is much better.
I have experimented with many kinds of buttons and the ones that give good tactile feedback are the best.
My 23" optical 'touch' screen at home on my windows PC is too sensitive and a mosquito can open and close programs. :)

[quote]
Buttons:
[/quote]
Agree. The 4x4 keypad is great when you need to enter numbers. In that case an encoder is tiresome and slow. I have a 3d printer that uses a 4 line text lcd and a rotary encoder with push function. It drives me crazy. Menu options could be numbered 1-9 and accessible with one keystroke. I imagine a control for CNC or other machines can use it too. A numeric keypad like on a PC that can double for navigational control with arrows would be nice.

[quote]
sensors:
[/quote]
I have those Maxim chips in my drawer waiting to be used!
My 3d printer has one extruder, i plan to add a second and a heated bed.
It is also good for monitoring stepper motors, they get hot when pushed and you coul d use a temperature feedback to optimise driving them.
I also have a 'hotplate' in the making for reflowing. It has 4 heating pads and a few heating cartridges to get a very even even heating. Those projects are on hold because of the Blox. Blox would make those projects so much easier. :)

A sea of holes is not what i like. I have some veroboard or other small experiment boards for that. And i really despise those development boards, they should be called learning boards because developing something on those boards while possible it is terrible to transfer it to a real product. And buying another development board just so i have a working product is such a waste of money and space.
Microchip has a much better name for them, "Starterkits".

[quote]
Output:
Relays
[/quote]
Having a good relay board is great. Most that are for sale are not very good.
They don't account for mcu reset, crashes or power failures very well.
Or they are just flimsy, under powered etc.
Relays are used to power real world appliances and machines. You don't want your mcu to get all crazy with electrical noise, dirty power lines etc.
For those kind of environments optocouplers can be used to isolate the electrical paths, not even need to share a ground.
It should also be able to give some feedback to know for sure the at least the relay works.
Relay boars should be simple in use and often a simple design is best. It should also without question be very reliable.

I still have to design a schematic and board for the relay blox, any pointers on what requirements would be needed helps.
I probably end up with a 3-4 versions for different requirements, environments.

[quote]
Power:
[/quote]
The 500ma is for powering the MCU and some (2-3) other blocks. It is a good basic setup for general use.
A good power supply is so important. I prefer the linear regulators as they have fewer components and less noise. A good powersupply for in a car is a study upon itself. Not much else has dirty power like that. A good test environment. I need to get my oscilloscope to meet my car. :) If it survives my car, it is good enough for the rest of the world.

500ma is enough to feed the MCU (100-150), a LCD and some low power devices such as an RTC, some input switches and leds. The POW9533 is made for those cases. And i probably go for at least 1A because having an OLED or small TFT would make it much more useable.
If you want to add a GPS you need to have at 500ma extra, adding a GSM adds another 2A.

It is better to feed a GSM module with its own power and have the power regulated separately. It can draw a lot of power and by doing so can cause a brownout on the MCU. Keeping the power lines separate will prevent that.

[quote]
Analog
[/quote]
The digital to Analog is again a whole topic.
It can be simple with some io ports and a few resistors, or a 16bit DAC.
For the simple and slow ones digital potentiometers are great. They often have 128 or 256 steps. For The more powerfull applications you need to go with a parallel bus, the MCU32MX795 has all the PMP datalines neatly ordered and those pins can be controlled by DMA allowing for very fast signals.
What kind of precision would a DAC need for most purposes? If it is for controlling equipment would you still need 12 to 16 bits or would 8 be enough?
If high speed is not a requirement i could see a use for an 8bit dac that can be put in series or parallel giving 16, 24, 32 etc precision depending on how many you use.
Within MMBasic i think the best way is to use the i2c for that and also for the PWM as it only has two available. The PIC32 has 5 btw.
A small BLOX with at least 4 or better up to 16 PWM channels can be done by using a dedicated mcu. Some of those have many PWM peripherals on board.

[quote]
One more thing:
SD CARDS?
[/quote]
The more tiny the better, unless you get older like we do. :)
If you need to change it a maxi SD would be great.
Maybe make one like a cartridge, same as nintendo used for their game console. :)
With that size you can have the whole micro controller inside, so you not only change the memory card but everything. LOL

Today i was looking for a SD card in a chip. There are a few, but the cost are not comparable. Maybe we can ask Geoff to add support for a serial RAM/FLASH device to be used as a drive (drive C: 'Harddrive') Some of those chips come in a handy package for soldering or even DIP if you need to be able to change them just use a socket.

The I2C is a great way to make your product expandable.
If you design around it you can make everything replaceable. Need more processing power, no problem just put in the latest and greatest mcu. Need more relays, just add a board. For commercial products this is also great. You can design a product that is easy upgradable, offer many different versions by controlling the amount of 'Blox'.
It is just like the old days when i used Euro rack and 10x16cm eurocards with 64 pin DIN connectors. I made a Z80 computer with that once.
Now you only need a few wires to accomplish much the same.

I have a I2C hot plug Blox in schematic form. This allows you to plugin and out modules without causing problems. Great for stuff that can not have much down time.
Edited by TZAdvantage 2013-07-03

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024