Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:05 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CMM on the road

panky

Guru

Posted: 04:39pm 24 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Headed out from the Central Coast recently in the caravan to Alice Springs then across the desert to Kalgoolie, on to Perth, Albany and loop back across the bottom.

With only 5 days out my CGCMM2 Caravan Battery Monitor has only just started to earn it's keep but already proving usefull. A couple of cloudy days limited the solar input to the system but I could see at a glance that my overall amps into the batteries was less than my running usage so a few hours running the generator brought me back to par.

The 7" VGA display I use is just big enough for the info I want access to but is limited in the distance from the CMM ( up the front of the van ) and it would be nice to be able to interact with the system. For the quiet times on the trip, I am working on an Android de re BASIC program to be a display and user interface linked to the CGCMM data collection backend via Bluetooth ( using TZ's producer-store-consumer concept).

Will keep a post of my whereabouts and love to catch up with any MM folks or 'vanners on the way,

Cheers, Doug.
... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 05:11am 25 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Doug,

How do you supply the Maximite with power?
I am doing some research what kinds of Maximite power needs are wanted and would like to know your experiences with powering the module itself and added hardware.

Cheers,
Jean

Microblocks. Build with logic.

panky

Guru

Posted: 12:45pm 25 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Jean,

I just use an LM317 adjustable voltage reg to take the input down to about 8.5v to feed the CGCMM2.

The voltage at the battery varies from 14.5v under charge ( noisy and with pulses ) down to a minimum around 12v. I have been running the system for about 3 months in the van at home with no problems at all as far as power. The pre-reg seems to work perfectly to isolate the CGCMM2 from any trouble.

Cheers, Doug.
... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

centrex

Guru

Posted: 10:43pm 25 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Doug
That is some trip.
Have a good one
Regards
Cliff
Cliff

panky

Guru

Posted: 04:41pm 12 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi MM'ers,

Made it to Alice OK, the desert becons next week. My little CGCMM2/MMBasic powered Caravan Battery Monitor is working a treat - a couple of cloudy days on the trip over showed up clearly with net loss of amp hours in the battery - an hour on the geny one evening soon fixed that up.

Any MM folks in Alice Springs, Docker River, Warburton, Lenora, Meekatharra, Mt Magnet?

My wife feels that I tend to be a little eager in supporting local coffee shops on our trip but coffee and a fellow MMer to chat with - doesn't get much better than that! Look forward to hearing from anyone round those places.

Cheers, Doug.

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 08:28pm 12 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Warburton ???
You must be kidding!!

For anyone who does not know, Warburton is in the middle of the Great Victoria Desert.

While you are travelling through Doug, don't miss Giles Weather Station near the WA border (most days they have an interesting tour starting early in the morning) and Gwalia (an amazingly restored 1900's mining town near Leonora).

Geoff

Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 10:05pm 12 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Doug,

if your traveling thru the Adelaide Hills on your return trip you're quite welcome to come over and stay the night. Got an 85 acre farm here so plenty of room for your van and we can put on a BBQ/Bonfire for you too. Well if any other Adelaide guys want to meet up we can make it a party too and sit around the bonfire telling wild MM stories...

Cheers Bryan

paceman
Guru

Posted: 12:18am 13 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

centrex said   Hi Doug
That is some trip. Have a good one
Regards
Cliff

Cliff, do you have a file of the board you made for the Allegro sensors. I'd like to have a go at making one. I've set up Dip-Trace, been reading up a bit on it and now I've gotten the gear together to use the toner transfer system - modded laminator and all. I thought this one would be a good challenge but maybe not too hard - famous last words
Greg

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024