Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:33 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Keyboard lockups - seems to be mode 4....

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 05:37pm 30 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Further to my thread a while back about the CMM not liking some keyboards perhaps, I am still getting this problem semi-often, where the keyboard will either stop responding, or outputs the wrong charaters or garbled characters.

I noticed today, that this seems to happen the most, when you change modes.

If I am writing a program for Mode 4, as soon as I exit from the editor back to the command line, which restores to mode 4 where I was before I went to the editor, this seems to be where I get the most of the keyboard problems.

Could there be an issue entering and exiting from the editor, if the command line is NOT in Mode 3?

I assume that with a CMM, the default mode is Mode 3(I think it is).

So, I am in Mode 4, then type EDIT to go to the editor.
The editor changes the mode to Mode 2 or whatever the editor uses, then when you exit from the editor, the CMM tries to reinvoke Mode 4, but something goes wrong in the process?

If I leave the mode where it is at power up, and remark-out any mode changes in my experiment program, I can enter and exit the editor fine with no keyboard problems, but as soon as I re-enable Mode 4, I get these keyboard problems once out of the editor, and back in Mode 4.

I might be on the wrong track, but is there any chance the mode switching by the editor is causing any of these keyboard problems?

Anyone else had these keyboard problems other then me?
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 06:50pm 30 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  I might be on the wrong track, but is there any chance the mode switching by the editor is causing any of these keyboard problems?

I cannot see how that could be the case. Mode switching involves moving the video memory around - nothing to do with the keyboard.

Regardless, I will have a look at it and see if I can reproduce the issue.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

Nick

Guru

Posted: 06:54pm 30 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have had on a very few occasions a keyboard lockup which I've managed to get back by "wacking keys".

I don't know if it is during a video mode change.

It happens very rarely and I have put a lot of lines of code recently.

If yours is doing it frequently, maybe you have a wiring issue.

Are you running the latest firmware? (4.4beta6)

Nick

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:41pm 30 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks, Geoff.
I am just trying to figure out how this happens, when it happens, but today I did notice that issue, and it only seemed to happen with the Mode 4 before editor/after editor thing.

Could also have just been a coincidence - I will keep the thread posted.

I am using the CG CMM units.

Does anyone know if the circuit for the CG units is perhaps different to the original in some way?

I DO have the Altronics kit, but I have not soldered it all together.
I might do that, and see if it is somehow, someway, related to the CG PCB.

Nick

Guru

Posted: 08:26pm 30 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mine is the Altronics kit and works fine except for the very rare keyboard crash which may be due to heavy usage (read as.. fumble fingers on the keyboard).

Nick

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 10:14pm 30 Jun 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah, well I might just have to assemble that Altronics kit for a point of comparrison.

I don't see how the CG CMM could really be any different.
4k7-10k pull-up's on KB_CLK and KB_DTA are standard practice - from an actual computer on it's motherboard, to PICAXE, to MM.

I will have to compare both circuits, and see if there is anything different, but as far as I know, all MM's clones all have the same pull-up resistors on the KB.

I will keep you all posted.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024